Sunday, February 05, 2023

Goodbye Montrondo, farewell snow, an adventure leaving for Madrid, home again, Nokia - "reuniting colleagues", "itchy feet" travel syndrome, so long Yoigo - hello Telefónica, time with our grandchildren, a Chinese balloon in US sky and other stories.

Home sweet home, Sunday 5th February 2023

With my morning coffee in the kitchen with our maps in the background - dreaming of our travels. Ah and notice the new haircut (same style as always). 

Good morning again friends and readers.

If you read last week's chronicle, you will know that a week ago today we were leaving Montrondo after 10 days enjoying the snow and peace in our village. 

We aimed to set off at around midday, after the Electrolux technician had promised to come to bring the mended induction hob. And there he came, on a Sunday, in empty rural Spain and installed a brand new one making the total service cost less than buying a new one. So thumbs up to both Ikea and the Electrolux technician who came on a Sunday, all the way from León, on his day off  to install it. I would have more proof later that actually things do work in "empty Spain" when I said last week that it lacked basic services. 

We had already packed so when he had gone, it was all hands on deck to load the car and leave the house ready for our next visit. Here comes Eladio, holding his snow shovel and wearing his "madreñas", wooden clogs.  I had to have a photo.

Nearly ready to leave. 
Last week I told you about "madreñas" - the wooden clogs with little stilts - worn in that part of the country. I bought the ones Eladio was wearing at the "feriona" (big fair) in Villablino when we first moved into our new house in Montrondo. Note, I did not get myself a pair as I knew I would topple over trying to wear them hahahahaha. They are quite quaint in my mind. 


Eladio wearing his "madreñas" in the snow - the best way not to slip although I would topple over just wearing them as they are quite cumbersome.
Before we left, it was my job to take the rubbish to the bins and I got one long last look at the fields of snow with the church in the distance and I had to have a photo. It was my goodbye Montrondo, farewell snow photo. 

Goodbye Montrondo, farewell snow
We set off at 12.15 but when we approached the small village of Omanón, a few miles down the road, the car began to make shuddering noises and then when we reached the bridge leaving the village, the engine stopped. We had no idea what the problem was but I thought our 20 year old Volvo - my old Nokia company car - was a "gonna". With great difficulty we moved it off the road and put out the warning triangle. 
Eladio rang our insurance company; "La Mutua Madrileña". We have insurance that covers assistance on the road but as we were in a very rural part of the country - empty Spain - my hopes for quick help were not high. I was wrong though, Spain works even in empty Spain. For starters, a kind villager, Amaro, appeared. He is a former driving instructor and in his opinion the car wasn't working because something had frozen inside which wouldn't let the diesel petrol reach the engine. La Mutua told us we were entitled to a car crane to tow the car to a garage in Madrid as well as a "taxi" to take us home  -400km! Wow, that is service. While we waited, Amaro, invited me into his house for a wonderful cup of coffee and a quick trip to their sparkling, modern loo. It turned out he knew Eladio's family as his own family used to run the only shop in Omañón, where the dreaded coach to the seminary in León, would stop while Eladio returned as  a young boy to school after the holidays. I needed the coffee as I wondered if we would get anything to eat that day. So thank you Amaro and your lovely wife too. You saved me. 

Saved we were too as I walked out to find both the taxi and the crane already there. 

Road assistance in rural Spain - in Omañón - last Sunday was of the best. Thumbs up to La Mutua, our car insurer. 

We had waited just over half an hour in the sun which is probably why the car started when the mechanic switched the ignition on. Everyone agreed that the problem had been the extreme cold - something about condensation appearing and freezing in the pipe line that carries the fuel, something that can happen, especially to diesel cars despite anti freeze. We were delighted and all agreed we should drive ahead of the crane and taxi to La Magdalena - about 20 km away, where they were from, to see if the car was alright. And it was, thankfully, but oh, what an adventure. Someone on FB said he was waiting for the next chapter. I hoped there wouldn't be one and there wasn't. 

We set off feeling delighted and thankful that our adventure turned out not to be a sorry one. Next on the agenda was finding somewhere for lunch as it was about 2 pm when we were finally on the move again. We found the perfect place, Hotel Santa  Lucía, just past La Magdalena and across the road from the access to the motorway the AP 66. And, oh what a find. It turned out that the owners were also the owners of the taxi and that one of their jobs is to help old people who live in isolation in the surrounding villages, taking them medicines, even their shopping or to the doctor. So once again I take back my words about Empty Spain lacking services. The services provided to us that day proved me wrong.  

We had never eaten at Santa Lucía which seemed very popular. That day there was roast lamb on the menu at just 15 euros each. There was also a menu of the day for the same price. We went for the lamb and it was more than delicious. We tucked in with very hearty appetites  feeling pleased with the world after the successful outcome of our adventure. I said to Eladio that little obstacles are put on our path at times but they are obstacles we can deal with. I wonder what our adventures will be like on the "trip of our lifetime" through Europe, the Balkans, Turkey and the Caucasus. Whatever is thrown our way, we shall deal with  as best we can and we shall be as prepared as possible. 

Wonderful roast lamb in La Magdalena after our adventure. 
The meal at Hotel Santa Lucía was our compensation prize and we were grateful for it. The rest of the drive was stress free and we were home by about 6.30 which I notice is when the sun sets at this time of year.

We had had  a great time in Montrondo, but, as always, it was wonderful to be back. There was Lucy greeting us and helping us with our luggage and putting all the food away. There was Suzy, all smiles and hugs - both for me and Pippa and there was our lovely big house with fully functioning internet, etc. There too were our new guests, Simon, from Sweden who is of Chilean origin as well as Roger, a Canadian of Panamian origin who I greeted later.

I had soon unpacked and unwound  and by 8 pm was down in the kitchen where Lucy was putting together a make shift dinner in the dining room which we had with Suzy. It was good to be back.

It was good too to sleep in our own bed - the most comfortable one in the world, at least for me. But for some reason sleep evaded me. Even though I took 2 pills I don't think I got more than 3.5 hours shut eye. I was awake  at 6.15 on Monday morning and came down for my first cup of Nespresso coffee of the day. That morning I  had my 3rd appointment with Dr. Litton, the urologist who I am very fond of and seems to be the only one ever to understand my problem, bless him. 

Eladio joined me and we decided to leave the car at the metro station and take the train into the city using our brand new free transport pensioners' passes. We were soon at Plaza Castilla where my urologist, Dr. Litton, has his surgery. I was there for my third treatment and Eladio was there for moral support. I'm not sure the treatment is working as well as it did 8 years ago but I shall persist.

My prize afterwards was a cup of coffee in a non descript, run of the mill bar. Plaza Castilla is a bit off the tourist track and not my favourite part of the city. Normally I would have gone straight home but that day we took advantage of free public transport and got the metro to Gran Via - the main artery in the old part of the city. It was teeming as it is on the tourist track. Also there, were lots of what are called in Spain "top manta" - literally top of the blanket. These are mostly  illegal black immigrants who sell fake branded handbags and clothing on a large sheet in the main tourist areas of the big cities. The sheets have strings attached so if the police appear they can quickly grab the strings and turn the sheets into a sort of hold all and run off with their fake goods. I witnessed this twice that day and felt sorry for the men. It's not a nice way to earn a living. I got Eladio to take a photo of me in front of the Gran Via metro sign and realised later that some of the "top mantas" appeared in the picture. Look and you will see.
By the Gran Via metro station - notice the "top mantas" next to me
I don't often buy stuff from them as the quality of the fake branded goods is quite poor. On the outside the products look good but it's the lining of bags or zips that are shoddy. I felt privileged walking along Gran Vía on my way to the Japanese fashion store, Uniqlo, as these poor men tried to sell their wares while evading the police.

I wanted to get my birthday present there - a long seamless down coat. Their down coats and puffer jackets are the best on the market in my opinion. I first got acquainted with Uniqlo when Suzy lived in London and it opened its first store there on Oxford Street. It's known as the "Japanese Zara" but I think it is different. It first became popular because of its ultra light down jackets. I bought two in London,  one white and one bright blue. I still wear the white one but unfortunately I lost the latter. It's funny but the puffer jacket seems it is here to stay. Everyone wears them and they are not just fashionable but extremely practical. I remember how that happened in the 60's with denims. I was doing a holiday job and spent some of the money on a weekend in London. That's where I saw everyone wearing jeans/denims. I know jeans were invented way before, but they became completely mainstream during  the swinging sixties.  At the time, the most wanted brands were Wrangler, Levi's (still popular today) and Lee. In the 60's the skinny model was the fashion and in the 70's in came the terrible "bell bottoms" which girls, like me, often wore with platform heels - horrible too. I don't know what denim style is in fashion today, but like the puffer jacket it's the garment that matters. Uniqlo's choice of colour was not great; black, dark blue, dark green, burgundy (my most hated colour), dark and  lighter grey. I went for the latter. 
My birthday present for next week - a long down coat by Uniqlo. 

Do I need it? It would have come in handy in Montrondo, that's for sure and if I don't lose it, it's bound to last for a very long time. 

It was such a contrast to be out and about in the city after our 10 day seclusion in remote and rural Montrondo. We took the metro back where, until next week, masks are still mandatory. We were home by 2ish and lunch was ready - thank you Lucy.

We were to see our grandchildren that afternoon for the first time in over two weeks. Oli took the week off as Miguel has been  working in Benidorm this week. Thus we were relieved of the responsibility of taking them to school but offered to lend a hand in the afternoons. It was lovely to be reunited with Elliot and Juliet. It was cold outside but sunny and they were keen to go on the swings and ride the baby vehicles we have stored in the shed for when they come. 

Elliot and Juliet on Monday afternoon in the garden by the kitchen
There is a large toy corner for them in the library lounge which we call "the cat lounge"  - it's where Phoebe spends her mornings. While the children played,  Luzy,  made us Spanish omelet for dinner. Oli and the kids left relatively early and didn't tire us out too much. Thus we were in bed early and that night I slept a bit better.

Tuesday came, the last day of January. It was a productive day with one unfortunate incident. Suzy had taken the Mini to meet a friend and go jogging when she rang to tell us a tyre had punctured. Oh, dear, another car problem I thought.Not only that, it was the third time that same tyre got punctured in recent months. A while back we changed all four so what was the problem we wondered? Eladio organised for it to be towed to a garage and with Suzy already there, at least we didn't have to be present. Later in the day the tyre was repaired and it wasn't a puncture, thankfully. It was something to do with a nail it drove over and the repair was easy and cheap. As to the same tyre being affected we were told that it was just coincidence. So there you go, another little adventure with a happy ending.

While this was happening, Eladio and I managed to go and do the shopping as most of the cupboards and the fridge were pretty bare after our prolonged absence. On our way home we picked Suzy up. She wanted to walk home which would have taken 1.5h and we weren't having that. Lunch was late but no worries all was good. 

The afternoon was stress free. I thought Oli and the kids would join us again but they didn't. Oli said she hadn't come as we must be tired of them. She also sent us photos of the kids running round the flat naked, refusing to go in the bath. I laughed and said she had "feral babies". I wish I could show you the photos but these days sharing pictures of naked children is dangerous. Horrible sign of our times.

In my Skype call with Amanda that afternoon, she told me all about the troubles in the UK - the terrible signs of our times. I knew about all the strikes - seems the whole country is coming to a halt, not to mention the travails of the poor old NHS. Later I watched a bit more of Season 12 of Call the Midwife which is set after the institution was founded. Getting an appointment with a GP in the 60's was no issue. It is today, 60 years later. The UK seems to be the sick man of Europe. That term was always attributed in my history lessons with Miss Fair at St. Joseph's College, to Turkey. Damn Turkey by the way as they are blocking the chances of Sweden and Finland joining Nato. The world is a mess isn't it? But good things also happen. We know that. We also know that there are more good people than bad - we experienced this in our last three adventures and our faith in humanity was quite restored.

We had a makeshift dinner, then watched the news (mostly bad) followed by more episodes of Fauda. I did not sleep well that night, waking up at least 4 times!!! 

Wednesday was 1st February, a new month; new beginnings. It was a day of reunions with friends. In the morning I had a long awaited date with my friend, Elena, my neighbour and ex colleague in the telecoms sector. Both of us were Communications Directors and we first met when I worked for Yoigo and Elena worked for Ericsson. That seems a long  time ago and it was. As we live near, we met at a new cafeteria/restaurant in our area called "La Flaca" - a great place where we were served a fantastic capuccino - yes you can get them in Spain these days. We had lots to catch up on and mostly spoke about our children, our holidays and plans for this year. Elena and her husband are great cruise fans and will be away  for 120 days of this year! We, on the other hand, are not cruise enthusiasts and, as you know, are planning a road trip to the Balkans, Turkey, Georgia and Armenia. I walked there with Eladio and Pippa and then returned alone, enjoying the walk in the sun. 

I had quite a lazy afternoon and was relieved of grandparent duty as Miguel's mother and brother took over that day. Instead I watched the latest episodes of Call the Midwife and Happy Valley. I will be gutted when the latter ends. I really will.  That night I had another date, a dinner reunion with my ex Nokia colleagues, Julio who I see often and Agustin who I don't think I had seen since he left Nokia in 2001 when he left to return to his homeland, France. What a reunion that was. We chose El Jardín de la Máquina for our dinner as it is halfway between the city centre where my colleagues were coming from and from where I live. It is also very near the ex Nokia premises. It used to be called "La Leyenda" and I have had many a memorable dinner or lunch there; most significantly my farewell Nokia party organised by dear Jill, as well as a lunch with my Nokia girl colleagues for my 50th birthday. Wednesday night was to be quite a special reunion. Even though I only coincided with Agustin for about 2 years, he and I were in the same group of friends we made at that wonderful Finnish company.

 You will all be familiar with the slogan "Nokia Connecting People". Well, we "Nokians" also used to say "Nokia Connecting People and disconnecting families" as we worked so hard. But we also used to say "Nokia connecting people and reuniting colleagues" which is just what we did this week. I commented that companies may come and go but it is the people who are important. My friends agreed. When we worked for the Finnish giant it was in its halcyon days, it was the Apple or the Facebook of today but I don't think we were aware we were working for one of the best companies in the world until we left it. 

What a joy to see Agustin again. To think he is now 50 and has "children" aged 20, 17 and 14! We had so much to catch up on I hardly concentrated on my food which is a sure sign I was having a wonderful evening. Of course we spoke about the old days and especially about our common friend, my dearest Fátima. Oh how she would have loved to be there that night. Here is a not very good photo to remember the reunion. 
Dinner with Agustin (left) and Julio (in the centre). 

I always think waiters should have lessons in photography, don't you? Our dinner came to an end as they do and at around 10.30 it was time to say goodbye. Until when I wondered? Well, certainly not another 20 years I hope.

I drove back in the dark but on very familiar roads. I know the way to our house from the ex Nokia office building in Pozuelo, blindfolded, but it was dark and I hate driving in the dark so my eyes were wide open. 

My dear husband (and Pippa) were waiting for me in bed and it was not too late for another episode of Fauda until it was time to try and get some shut eye; never easy for me.

Thursday came and I had another appointment but a boring one, with my hairdresser, Caty. Unlike most women,  I do not like having my hair done but it is a necessary evil. All she has to do is dye the roots, cut and dry it; not even blow dry it as I want the whole procedure over and done asap.  Suzy had taken my Mini which meant I had to drive the Volvo which I don't like  as it is manual and I have got so used to driving an automatic car. It was a freezing cold morning but later the sun came out and the temperature reached 16ºc. Caty is quick and efficient so in just over an hour and a quarter I was done and driving home again. Before our walk, I prepared lunch - stuffed shoulder of lamb using my own recipe. It's one of my favourite dishes and easy to make. 

At 12 on the dot we had our coffee at home that day - you know; a lovely mug, strong Nespresso coffee and lots of thick milky foam, just how I like it. No instant coffee for me ever, thank you very much. We sat down at the kitchen table and I realised I had my back to all the maps there - map of Europe, map of Spain, world map and even a map of Costa Rica (thanks Suzy). I must have followed in my father's footsteps who had maps all over his study walls back in Bradford. His biggest map was one of Europe in Russian!  It took up a whole wall. I also inherited what we called "itchy feet" from both my parents. My brother had it too and badly. Itchy feet; as wanting to travel or travel syndrome.  It's what I like most after food hahahha. So these maps are there for us to dream about travels. They are also useful when we have guests from remote places who can show us where they are from; small countries such as  Guadalupe or New Caledonia - places I could never find on a map. So I asked Eladio to take a photo of me with my new hair cut, having my coffee with the maps behind me. That's the photo I have chosen for this week's feature photo. I very much look forward to sharing photos here of our upcoming trip of a lifetime - our road trip this spring. It looks like I'm teaching geography but I'm not, I'm dreaming of our travels. 

Our walk was glorious in the sunshine and I even had to remove my coat. Lunch too was glorious and so too our siesta. Oli came at around 5 with the babies again for us to lend a hand and that we did. She sent us a photo of the two rascals after she had picked them up from school. This is it. Maybe one day either Juliet or Elliot will be reading this and happy to see the picture of them as little rascals:-)
Our little rascals, Juliet and Elliot, being picked up from school this week

They are at a very challenging age - 3.5 and 1.5 years old so have to be watched constantly. I also have to watch out no more ornaments get broken. Feeding them is also a challenge and often has to be done while they are walking around. Oli even changes Juliet's nappy when she is standing up. Somehow we managed to feed them as well as ourselves. It was great that that evening Suzy joined us and everything felt good. A mother only ever wants her children to do well and be happy. Isn't that so?

They left early enough for us to start our nightly routine, getting ready for bed, watching the news and then a series - more of Fauda that night.

Then suddenly it was Friday morning. The week seemed to have fly past. That morning we skipped our walk - just didn't feel like it - and instead went on an errand which would include coffee out of course. My lovely red Nespresso Krups coffee machine was leaking. The water wasn't coming from the tank so who knows what was wrong. We found a repair centre in Majdahonda and off we went. They will repair it but it means I won't have a Nespresso machine for 2 weeks or more. Meanwhile, I am thinking of getting another one and taking the old one to Montrondo. I just can't live without one.

I was wondering too what coffee machine to take to Toledo next week where we are going to stay at the Cigarral del Bosque Hotel to celebrate my birthday. Hotels in Spain, even 4 and 5 star hotels do not normally have a coffee machine or even a kettle in the rooms. So I always have to take mine, plus, of course, a milk frother. I checked my booking and was tempted to upgrade the room to a "romantic package" for just 90 euros more. Why not I thought? And that's what I did. The room is bigger - 30m2, has a balcony and breakfast is included. It will be another get away break together so soon after our return from Montrondo. Going away when we don't have any obligations is  a possibility thanks to retirement which I am beginning to realise I am quite enjoying. After all, we work all our lives to enjoy our old age, until we can of course. Not knowing how long that will last, I am determined to get the most out of this time in our lives.

We had obligations in the afternoon, though. Oli returned with the babies, joined by Suzy. She then went off in my car to watch the sunset only to ring me to say the battery had run out. That's the second time and I suspect it happens because she sits in the car with the lights on. Otherwise why would it run out? Oh dear, here we come again, I thought. That meant that after dinner - a rather chaotic one with the kids where Elliot refused his meal and would only eat ice cream - they had to go off to see if the car would start. Thankfully it did. I just hope it won't happen again. 

With all this on my mind, I tried to fall asleep after watching Fauda. On my mind too was the visit the next day of a technician from Movistar (Telefónica), the mobile and fixed operator. Lured by their rather good streaming TV platform, I rang them and took the huge decision to change from Yoigo who I have been with since I started working there in 2006 . What was on my mind was getting the technician to keep the same passwords including the 2 wifi extenders. I assured the operator that if he didn't I would send him packing. You may find that trivial but it's important in this house which has 4 networks and is also a guest house. Changing passwords is not an option with so many devices connected to the router which also would have to be changed - don't ask me why. Was I making the wrong decision? Changing providers is always a pain. We would see. 

When I woke up at the unearthly hour of 5 am on Saturday morning, this was on my mind as well as other things that worry me but I never want to go into detail about here. 

Enrique from the technical support company that works for Movistar (aka Telefónica), arrived promptly at 9 am and he had a lot of work to do. He thought it would be an easy job but it wasn't. He was hesitant about maintaining the name of the networks and passwords and connecting the extenders but with a little persuasion I got him to manage it. 
So long, hello Movistar - changing network suppliers on Saturday

He also installed cable TV in the lounge which will make life easier as we will no longer need my much prized Amazon Fire Stick. He finished his job by about 11.30 am. Actual portability won't happen until Tuesday am and for that we need new SIM cards which we have to get before that. Changing providers is a huge upheaval but I think my choice was right. If felt funny saying goodbye to Yoigo but I think it was time. I was not only getting a good TV streaming platform I was also getting a better deal. I wondered whether Yoigo would ring to make a counter offer but they haven't so far.

By then, Oli and the babies were here with Eladio who went to lend her a hand in getting them out of bed and ready for the day. I had suggested we go to the huge park on the outskirts of Madrid, Casa de Campo, where there is a cable car (teleférico) that takes you to the city. I hadn't been on it for years and thought Elliot would love it. He was looking forward to it but then kicked up a tantrum while driving round the park trying to find it which was mission impossible. Google Maps led us the wrong way but that doesn't surprise me as I always get lost in the Casa de Campo. He was having his tantrum just as we were passing the big lake so we decided to park there  and skip the cable car. I got out with him and to placate my grandson I bought him some sweets. He soon forgot his woes but then began to ask about flying in the sky over Madrid hahahahhaa.

I hadn't been to the Casa de Campo (which by the way has no "casa" - house) for years and we were all surprised at just how many people were there. But it was beautiful. As I looked at the lake with the Madrid skyline in the distance and a big fountain in the middle, I was reminded of Lake Geneva - a bit. 
Lake Geneva? No, the Casa del Campo Madrid
We had a coffee - of course - and then headed for the swings and slides  which Elliot loves. Juliet was asleep meanwhile. Here are some photos to remember the morning out with the babies at the Casa de Campo which they will never remember as they are far too young. I do hope they get to go on the cable car one day. Me too, actually.
Eladio with Juliet fast asleep yesterday at the Casa de Campo park

Oli and Elliot at the Casa de Campo yesterday
It was sunny and quite warm and we could have had lunch there but decided against it, preferring coming home to a ready made meal served by Lucy. She had made pumpkin soup followed by baked salmon - not my favourite but very healthy.

We were allowed a short siesta but I couldn't sleep. I did rest though for an hour or so before grandparent duty called again.

We spent a couple of chaotic hours with the babies in the TV lounge aka the "cat lounge" or "toy room". I always try to steer them away from the main lounge where there are so many ornaments they can break and do break (ouch). When they left at around 7pm I think we were both exhausted. 

We had some alone time until it was time for dinner, the news and then more of Fauda before falling asleep. The big news this week has been about a so-called "spy balloon" from China that was in US airspace. The US claimed it was a spy balloon and the Chinese said it was just for weather research and that it had blown off its course. I don't really believe the Chinese government. Biden's government didn't either and cut short the Secretary of State, Blinken's scheduled visit to Beijing - apparently to reduce tensions between the two countries. That went pear shaped when the balloon appeared. The US were cautious about shooting it down for fear of damage but when it was above the sea, they successfully took it down. This is a picture by Reuters I robbed from the front page of this morning's The Times. 
The shot down Chinese "spy" balloon
Who knows really what that balloon was doing there? But it certainly made the news. 

That was the story I woke up to this morning. I woke up at 6 am - a bit better than 5 am - so am feeling slightly less tired. 

Today will be a quiet day and I have an eventful week to look forward. On Wednesday it is my birthday - OMG I will be 66 - To celebrate Eladio and I are going away for two nights to a "posh" hotel outside Toledo which I am looking forward to. Then on Saturday we will celebrate with the family. You will, of course, read all about next Sunday.

So that's it from me for now. Cheers to you all and Happy Sunday,

Masha

c



No comments: