Sunday, July 28, 2024

Family Sunday in Montrondo, Biden resigns from Presidential race, Kamala Harris his successor, home again and oh so hot, Paris Olympics kick off in the rain with a radical opening ceremony.

 Madrid, home again, Sunday, 28th July, 2024

With my granddaughter Juliet last Sunday in Montrondo
Good morning again, this time from home.  But nor for long as tomorrow we are off to Santa Pola to see Suzy and get the apartment ready for guests arriving next week. It has been so hot in Madrid that we have had to skip most outdoor activities or eating outside and it will be just as bad down south. I can't wait to be able to escape to Montrondo again. 

Last Sunday we were still there and we certainly made the most of our day with the family; especially with Olivia, Miguel, Elliot and Juliet. It was just a wonderful family day.

It started with breakfast with my soon to be three year old granddaughter Juliet who wanted me to hold her just after she woke up and I was more than willing. Olivia took some stunning photos, one of which had to be this week's feature photo. Doesn't she look adorable? However, she can be quite a character. Elliot looks like both Miguel and Olivia when they were younger but I can't see any family resemblance in Juliet. Can you?

She was very interested when we gave Pippa a bath later in the  claw foot bathtub in our bedroom which I insisted on buying when we built the house nearly 9 years ago; even if it didn't fit in the bathroom (haha). It's mostly for Pippa as I have hardly ever used it. Here is Eladio, Pippa's main bather with Juliet looking on. She loved the whole process. I'm not sure Pippa did but I was happy to see her clean and shiny once it was over.
Pippa being bathed in Montrondo with Juliet looking on
I spent a lot of the morning cooking for the family while Eladio got the barbecue ready for lunch. He also got out all the terrace furniture which was locked in the boiler house for which we didn't have the key until Oli got there. It was a pity we would only enjoy it for a day as we were leaving on Monday. But we shall enjoy it when we got back next week, especially the sun beds in the back garden.

While the kids were playing with their little cousins under the supervision of their parents, we got lunch ready. Here is Eladio grilling the lamb chops etc. He was doing so in the sun with a kitchen towel on his head (hahaha).
Eladio cooking the barbecue in the sun last week
Soon we were all sitting down on the back terrace for what has to be THE family lunch of the summer. The kids behaved and enjoyed the food but perhaps preferred the ice cream at the end. 
Family barbecue lunch last Sunday in Montrondo
It was wonderful to be together in Montrondo.

The afternoon was spent in harmony and lazily. While the kids played, we adults - the older generation now - sat together next door at one of Eladio's sister's houses. I caught 4 of the 6 siblings on camera. 
Eladio with 3 of his 5 siblings relaxing in Montrondo last Sunday
We are now the oldest generation. When Eladio's father was his age, we were in our 30's and 40's and our children were the same age as our grandchildren and their cousins. One day Oli and Miguel will be part of the oldest generation and Elliot and Juliet will be here with their kids or that is how I imagine the future there. They will be remembering the old days and hopefully missing us. But we still have some time to go to enjoy being in Montrondo together. Gosh, though, how time flies.

Dinner was home made tortilla made by me and accompanied by a salad which everyone ate. It was our last dinner with the kids but we will be back. I look forward to many more family days in Montrondo, the place where we are all so happy. 

Monday came, the day we were returning home. The main news of that day which we had already heard about on Sunday night, was about Joe Biden, aged 81 (but looking 90) who finally succumbed to pressure and resigned from the Democrat Presidential race in the US. The problem was, whoever they come up with to replace him, and he was backing his VP, Kamala Harris, just no one can beat Trump who is on a winning streak. Maybe if Biden had resigned a while back, there may have been a chance, but not now although I wish I was wrong. Here, by the way, is his resignation letter. 
Joe Biden's resignation letter


He didn't go into the why's but I have a feeling he  finally realised he wasn't up to the biggest job in the world and may possibly already have some sort of dementia that is being kept a secret. Otherwise, no way would he be making so many gaffs. Since then Kamala has been proclaimed his successor but can she win when Hilary Clinton couldn't? Being of colour and a woman is to her advantage but not enough to ward off Trump I'm afraid. Later in the week Biden read an announcement from The Oval Office explaining he was giving way to someone younger. But he did not admit the real reason; that he is too old and just not capable of another term in the White House. That, btw, now makes Trump, aged 78, the oldest Presidential candidate in history. 

But my mind wasn't on the Presidential race in the US that morning. It was on getting ready to go; pack and return home. I was not looking forward to the heat in Madrid. Thank God for air conditioning and the pool. 

I had one more photo with the kids after breakfast which I love so I wanted to share it with you.
With Elliot and Juliet just before we left Montrondo on Monday morning
It was farewell but not for long as they will be back today and we shall see them all this coming week.

Our journey home was uneventful and we arrived just after 3pm, a bit late even for lunch in Spain which we had in the air conditioned dining room. It was over 15 degrees more than in Montrondo where we always sleep with a duvet; what a difference that makes.

The house had been well looked after by Tana in our absence, bless her. I spent most of the afternoon in my air conditioned room until it was time for dinner which we had with the air con on again - no other way.

I slept fitfully that night and woke up at 6.45 after about 5 hours sleep on Tuesday morning. There was lots to do that day. We set up the old TV we had brought from El Cuetu in my father's room. Now all 7 bedrooms have a TV - how extravagant. I used to be very bad at TV techie stuff but I'm quite savvy now. Most of them are Samsungs and the workings are similar to a smartphone so not too difficult. 

We went to do a huge shop at Mercadona and Carrefour. We also went to our bank to unblock both my visa card and Eladio's account. It didn't help that he had left his wallet in Montrondo - no worries, Oli's bringing it home today.

She had good news that day. The World's 50 best  invited her to be a presenter at the awards for the 50 best hotels in the world. It's to take place in London, at Guildhall (how swish) on 17th September. If it works out, watch this space because I will be going with her. I was very happy for her and proud. 

Coffee was at Manacor and then we drove to Oli's house to water her plants. We came home to unload an enormous shop which is much easier these days now that we have a bigger fridge. The heatwave confined us to our air conditioned bedroom quarters that afternoon but after a while I wandered down to the pool which I had to myself. We only had one guest this week (until Friday)- a young Lithuanian working at the Santander Bank HQ nearby but I have hardly seen him. Thus I was able to skinny dip - bliss - something I can't often do. I was in and out of the pool all afternoon until it was time for dinner.

I made a cold vichyssoise soup for dinner and slightly changed the recipe by using crushed almonds and ham bits as a topping. Eladio said it was divine. It was followed by my favourite yoghurt - Nestly Yaos coconut Greek yoghurt, black cherries and a medjool dates, all washed down with a glass of the last bottle of Prosecco we brought home from Italy. We later sat by the pool and reflected on our beautiful home and wondered how much longer we will be living in it. I commented that in a decade or so someone else would be sitting where I was. However long we live here, we shall enjoy it and who knows what the future will bring. It will bring old age and I pray to God we don't have to suffer too much or get dementia or other diseases that plague the old. 

As soon as I got into bed, I fell asleep during the news. I woke up at 02.40, took my sleeping pills and was awake again at 6.40. I got over 8h sleep which I dearly needed.

Wednesday was to be another scorcher. It turned out it was the hottest day on earth! It reached 39ºc here which was unbearable and the only place to be was a room with air conditioning. Not once could we have lunch or dinner outside this week because of the heat. I can't wait to go back to Montrondo to sleep under a duvet and wear jeans and a cardigan in the evenings.

We braced the heat to go out and do errands. That morning saw us in El Corte Inglés, Spain's flagship department store. We went to return something and also had coffee there. I remember seeking refuge in El Corte Inglés as a young student because of the air conditioning. In the 70's, 80's and even 90's, it was a luxury and  in the hot weather, department stores were full of people doing the same. 

The midday news was replaced by football that day. Yes, it had kicked off days before the official opening of the Paris Olympics on Friday. Spain was playing Uzbekistan who managed a goal, believe it or not. I was intrigued to see who was playing from the Spanish squad. I hardly recognised any of the team. That is because the Olympic Games has a funny rule that allows only players under 23 to form a team, with 3 exceptions. But I didn't see Spain's 17 year old star, Lamine Yamal anywhere on the pitch. I can only conclude that for the top teams, the Olympics means a lot less than it does for other sports. I am on the watch out for how Alcaraz does. This year is very special because Rafa Nadal, his 38 year old countryman, will be playing doubles with him. Rafa already has a gold medal in the singles and  in the doubles. I think he is there for fun and enjoys the atmosphere. For Carlos, it must be amazing. Who knew the surprise the Olympic Committee had for Nadal during the Opening Ceremony?

I had the pool to myself in the afternoon as our only guest was out working but I even found that too hot and soon sought refuge in our air conditioned room where I stayed until dinner time. Usually in the summer we sit outside by the pool at night after dinner but at 9pm the temperature was 34ºc, down from 39ºc but still far too hot. 

Thursday was to be just as hot. It was so unbearable I stayed most of the day in our air conditioned room only going downstairs to make lunch in our very hot kitchen. For the record it reached 39ºc that day which is awful. What made the heat worse though were the lowest temperatures, often 25º in the middle of the night. Just look 
The temperatures this week where we live outside Madrid - unbearable, especially the lowest temperatures.

Tana was away as that day was a bank holiday for the Feat of St. James. I spent more time with our Lithuanian guest, Povilas, who is looking for accommodation in the area. He has just started working for the Santander Bank at its world HQ very near us. He came all the way by car and once he has found somewhere to live permanently he will be joined by his wife and baby. He showed me the route and it may well be the route we will take for next year's road trip. We want to go to Austria, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia and Romania and I want to go to Poland (to see Auschwitz) so we could carry on from there to the Baltic countries. We could even then take the ferry to Finland from Estonia and spend time in the Nordics. Sounds like a good plan. It must be so much cooler there than here.

For lunch I made lamb chops and ate far too many I was not hungry for dinner and only ate a yoghurt and some cherries. I regretted eating so much fatty meat later and didn't even want my afternoon cup of decaf tea. 

Friday came. Tana was back, Povilas went off to work - we hardly see him and a couple from Argentina who live locally had booked our best room for the weekend. They were coming to celebrate his 40th birthday; although I thought it would  be far too hot for that, even by the pool. 

Meanwhile, in Montrondo, Oli and family continued their holiday there. She posted a photo of little Elliot on his bike with some of his cousins. It reminded me so much of her and Suzy on their bikes every summer in my husband's village. What memories.
 

Elliot on his bike in Montrondo 
Olivia had good news that day. It was confirmed she is going to be the Presenter for this year's 50 Best Hotels Awards ceremony at the Guildhall in London on 17th September. Last year the presenter was a well known British TV presenter, Mark Durden-Smith. So, she has quite an act to follow. Neither she nor I know why the organisers have chosen her instead of him or anyone else in London. As Oli said there must be a huge market of emcees to chose from there. So why did they choose her? My friend Amanda said it's because "she's gorgeous". The good news for me is that I will be accompanying her and we will have some lovely girly time in London. Plus, I cant' wait to see her perform at the Guildhall. Her grandmother, my mother, who first came to London as a refugee in 1946 or 47 and had to work as a charwoman and hospital cleaner for a year to get a residency permit, could never have envisaged that one day her granddaughter would be centre stage at the Guildhall. Imagine.

It was Paris that was centre stage that night. It was the day of the opening ceremony which sounded promising. For the first time ever it was to be held outdoors. The French chose the River Seine as the main stage along which a flotilla of boats would bring the 10.500 athletes from 203 countries down the river to across the way from the Eiffel Tower. I watched the whole ceremony and learned some geography too as there were quite a few countries in the 203 delegations participating I had never heard of. Have you ever heard of Eswatani? Of these 203, 69 have never won a medal and 37 have never won a gold medal. And who has sent the most delegates? You guessed it, number 1 is the USA with 592. Then comes France with 573, Australia with 460, Germany with 28, Japan with 403, China with 388, Spain with 383, Italy with 371, Great Britain with 327 and Canada with 315. At the other end the scale, 4 countries, Belize, Liechtenstein, Nauru (never heard of either) and Somalia have sent just one athlete. So who will the big winners be? Well we only have to look at a table of the countries with the most Olympic medals to make a guess.
Countries with the most Olympic medals through history
The US more than doubles any other country. This year though without Russia in the games, there will be more medals to go round. The French, being the host country, will probably grab quite a few of them. 

What the French didn't  bargain for though on the opening night was rain. As an ex events planner I can commiserate with the organisers being worried about the weather and normally you would have a plan B but that wasn't possible in Paris. Rain or no rain, Paris was shown off to the world and we got to see all its iconic buildings. There was much spectacle and all was very splendid and rococo and rather radical and puzzling at times.  I don't know if I understood the script. I could only really appreciate the visuals like the French flag made of red, white and blue smoke above the Austerlitz Bridge. 

I loved a lot of and hated other parts. The end was the best by far. What I couldn't stomach was the parody of Leonardo Da Vincci's Last Supper. Why did they have to have a snipe at that with drag queens sitting at a table instead of Jesus Christ and the apostles? I understand the whole event was about inclusiveness but this was provocative and bad taste in my opinion.
The parody of the Last Supper at the Opening Ceremony. Was that really necessary?
If the organisers wanted to provoke people, they certainly managed to. Looking at the headlines the next day, the world's press was divided in its opinion of this very radical and different opening ceremony. 

I have to admit it's the first time I have watched a whole Olympic event opening ceremony so can't really compare it to others of which I only saw snippets. Maybe I am biased but I think London was better. Who could beat the Queen with James Bond? I was also impressed with Peking. But Paris is the most beautiful city in the world so it was easy to show it off. But there were so many things going on while the athletes sailed down the river, it was difficult to know what to watch. There was a lot of show dancing - not my thing, lots of hip hop and rap but there was also wonderful singing - Les Miserables. It was beautiful but for those not French, maybe we didn't quite get everything. Who, for example, was the spooky face covered acrobat who climbed on the roofs of Paris and across bridges carrying the Olympic flame? I was so happy when he handed it to Zinedine Zidane, such a wonderful sports ambassador for France. I wonder if Zizou was able to watch the Algerian delegation throwing flowers in the Seine to honour the the massacre of 120 Algerians killed and  the arrest of12.000 arrested while protesting for Algerian Independence in 1961?  

Zizou's parents will remember it. He is of course a legend now in France and in Spain too for his association with Real Madrid. So when he handed the torch to non other than the Spanish legend, Rafa Nadal, who is not French, it took my breath away. Just as Zizou is a legend in Spain, Nadal is a legend in France too for his 14 Roland Garros wins, not to mention his 2  Olympic gold medals. I thought that gesture was very generous of France. I later read that when Nadal won his first Roland Garros in 2008, it was Zinedine Zidane who handed him the Coupe des Mousquetaires. So the image of the two of them together was very symbolic.

 
Zidane and Nadal - the moment the French legend handed the Olympic torch to the Spaniard at the Opening Ceremony


Nadal's presence at the Opening Ceremony was quite a surprise.
Nadal then joined Serena Williams, Carl Lewis and Nadia Comaneci and the four of them carried the Olympic torch down the river for it to be handed to French athletes. Most notable for me was that France's oldest living gold medalist, ex cyclist Charles Coste aged 100, was part of the relay. What a moment. Finally it was two French athletes, Marie Jo Pérec and Teddy Riner who took it to a giant cauldron which was a golden hot air balloon. That was the most amazing moment. 

If you are a fan of Celine Dion, then it was also an amazing moment to see and hear her singing Edith Piaf's hymn to love (Hymne à l'amour) from the Eiffel Tower. It's amazing because she has not been on stage for 4 years as she suffers from stiff person syndrome disease. That night you would have never have known. What a comeback. 

Both Eladio and I were exhausted when the ceremony came to an end at nearly midnight. It was a bit too long but I enjoyed most of it, except for some of the rather bizarre and strange acts I couldn't understand or relate to. My mother would have said, that, like the curate's egg, it was good in parts.  But who cares? Paris triumphed that night. Let's hope all goes well, especially after the train sabotage that morning. All I can say is Vive La France. Let the show begin. The Paris Olympics have just begun and may the best men and women shine and take home medals from the city of light. Thank you Paris for a very entertaining night. 

I slept very little that night and woke up at 7.15 on Saturday morning to what would be yet another scorcher. It was, of course, much cooler in Montrondo where the village was celebrating the annual Santa Marta fiesta. I think it must be the first year we aren't there. I like and dislike the fiesta. It gets a little bit too crowded for me, but the children love it. Here are some pictures Olivia sent of that day. When I saw them I rather wished we had been there, especially to experience the foam part.
Olivia looking beautiful with Juliet

Olivia's generation of cousins with all their children

The bit I wish I had experienced; the foam party

Elliot in the pond on the common. He looks like he was having the time of his life
There is not better place for the children in our family to spend their holidays than together in Montrondo. No 5 star hotel would make them as happy. It's lovely to see my grandchildren enjoying the village just as our girls did when they were small. 

We did brave the heat in the morning when we went to the local clinic where Eladio had a routine doctor's appointment. Coffee was alone at Alverán while he went to get a new battery for one of the gate clickers. It was too hot to be outside so we headed home as soon as possible. It was Tana's day off so I made the lunch - easy peasy shepherds' pie. We then watched the news followed by the Olympics. I found myself watching the judo and it's quite violent I thought. Elliot is doing judo and I honestly wonder what he sees in it. 

I was far more interested in the tennis - let's face it, that's my favourite sport to watch - and was happy to see Carlos Alcaraz sail through his first singles match at Roland Garros. Much more exciting was to see him play doubles with Rafa for Spain against Argentina. They had hardly practiced together, let alone participated ever in doubles with Carlos having little experience. But they won, as they were supposed to and that made me happy. I'm not sure how far they will go as doubles is not Carlos' speciality and Rafa's tennis level is not what it was at 38, but it was a joy to see them yesterday, together, a tennis legend in the making with his idol, Nadal from whom he still has so much to learn. 
The legend and the legend in the making - Carlos Alcaraz and Rafa Nadal playing doubles at the Olympics yesterday
I didn't sleep well that night as I kept thinking about my mentally disturbed daughter Suzy who we are going to see on Monday. She doesn't want us to go but we have to as guests who booked before she went to live there are coming on 2nd and we need to prepare the apartment. Maybe I should have cancelled them but it would mean losing my super host status on Airbnb. I have found an Airbnb for Suzy locally and of course she could home with us for the duration. All that was on my mind and will be until we see her. She no longer recognises me as a mother and says she is Princess Diana's secret daughter and that she was adopted by me because I am sterile. The latest is that I am a Russian spy. What am I to do? There are no answers. We shall just have to face her on Monday and I am dreading it. 

Sorry to end on that disturbing note. My life may seem perfect on paper but it isn't. Is anyone's life perfect I wonder?  There is one bit of joy though today to think about and it is that 41 years ago today we had our registry wedding, 28th August 1983, the night Suzy was conceived. It's not our official wedding anniversary though as we always celebrate the church wedding which took place on 21st August, three weeks later.

On that note I wish you all a great Sunday

Cheers till next week,
Masha



No comments: