Sunday, March 10, 2024

"For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health": always together, final dental appointments, some good news, International Women's Day and other tales of the week.

 Sunday 10th March, 2024

Coffee  last Sunday. Always together.
Hello again everyone. How are you all doing? I am coming to the end of my dentist tunnel adventure which began at the end of November. What a journey it has been but I'm getting there.

I was not thinking about my teeth - and you can't imagine how much I do and how much I look at other people's teeth - when we went for our walk to one of our nearest bars last Sunday.  We bumped into Mohammad, our Iraqi lodger who had missed the bus so joined us for coffee. Thus we got a photo together, for once. It made me think we are always together, especially since I have retired. We mentioned that too when Eladio fell recently, remembering our marriage vows which include these words "for better, for worse,  in sickness and in health". That is so true. That took me back in my memory to our wedding day. I had chosen the old fashioned text, excluding of course "to obey". I remember Eladio having  great trouble saying "and so to I pledge thee my troth". I could never have loved him more than in that moment and I broke down and cried in the middle of my marriage ceremony. It got all the women guests crying too. My vicar who came from England,  the Very Reverend Brandon Jackson, said to me:  "you have all the time in the world" (to calm down) and after a touch on my arm from my father and my mother-in-law, I finally got myself together and the ceremony continued. We made those vows on August 21st 1983, more than 40 years ago and since then we have had our ups and downs but our marriage has been rock solid always and these days we are always together. I wouldn't want it any other way. 

We walked back home in harmony and found Oli and the kids had arrived in our absence. I quickly finished making our lunch - stuffed roast shoulder of lamb (delicious) but I couldn't eat much as my stomach had been playing up. Think I must have got a virus of some sort. What with that and hardly being able to chew while my dental treatment is ongoing, as well as being on a sort of diet, I am happy to announce I have lost weight. I know by how my clothes fit, not because I have got on the scales. I hate the scales, don't you? 

Monday came and I went for the first of my two bleaching sessions for my bottom front teeth. They have to match the colour of my new bridges. My dentist has gone for the lightest natural colour possible. It is B1. I always had very white teeth but didn't know the colour. I thought I was an A1 which you would think is lighter, but no, it is B1. The dentist who bleached my teeth said that's the colour of baby teeth. Here is the chart I have had to choose from. 

Colour chart for teeth.

But even a B1 is not really white. So how I wondered how do Hollywood celebrities get theirs so white? By cheating as they choose a non natural white colour. That would be a bit much for me I think. 
 
Back to the bleaching. I did it 20 odd years ago and it was far more expensive and I needed many sessions. These days it's a lot faster. In one single session my bottom front teeth improved by about 3 shades. The process hurt my gums though and I have to wait a while until they heal for the next one. Just look at part of the process. I dared to take a selfie while I was undergoing it. 
 

Again I was reminded of the French saying "Il faut souffrir pour être belle". Absolutely. That has been in my head ever since I started on all the dental work since I began in November. When I shared the photo and others with my friend Sandra, this was her reply which had me in stitches: "OMG! Not sure I could handle all that & take pictures! Glad we don’t have to see your Gynae pics!!!!"

Anyway, I  came out very happy with the result and made my way home. I think I could drive blindfold to and from the dentist in Majadahonda as I have been so often. 

That night we watched Legends of the Fall, a wonderful romantic film set in the US around WW1 with Antony Hopkins and a very young Brad Pitt. What a marvelous film. 

On Tuesday I pampered myself and got an appointment at the local nail parlour I got to "D-Uñas", run by a group of beautiful Colombian girls. That day I did not have to suffer to look beautiful. Not only did I have my nails done, I also died my eyelashes and eyebrows. Gosh, that made a huge difference as mine are so light and blonde with the odd white hair. This was the result.
After having my nails painted and my eyebrows and eyelashes dyed.

I always think as a woman, and as a man, it's so important to have good hair, teeth and nails, or for them to look good.

That day was referred to as "Super Tuesday" in the US. It is part of the very mysterious and complicated US election system which I can never fathom. It refers to the US presidential election day when the greatest number of states holds primary elections and so-called "caucases". Both Biden for the democrats and that dangerous clown, Trump, for the republicans. Both of them did well, apparently.  

We had good news that night, something I think we all needed. The World's 50 best (restaurants, bars, etc) based in London and who organise huge hospitality awards were the conveyors of the good news. They had hired Olivia last year as their MC and presenter at the 50 best restaurant awards in Valencia. They loved her so much they asked if she would be willing to do the job again, this year in Las Vegas of all places. It was on Tuesday that they confirmed she will be this year's presenter. Wow, what great news.  In a way I'd love to go with her but Las Vegas is not really on my bucket list and I think when the event takes place on 5th June we will be on our road trip. Oli said she was so happy she couldn't sleep.No wonder.

Wednesday was the last but one session with my dentist before all the work is finished. In the end that will be 3 implants, 3 bridges (no veneers in the end) and 5 onlays, as well as the bleaching. I went early and had coffee at a bar I always go to in Majadahonda if the time is right. I also sneaked into a Chinese boutique where I couldn't resist a black and white striped jumper (stripes of course) and a white hoodie with the word Love. That's my second time at Miya. 

I was just on time for the appointment where I was fitted with the 3 bridges. They looked great but felt funny in my mouth. That was when we decided on the final colour; B1. Thankfully the fit was perfect so I could keep them on until I get the permanent ones next Thursday in what I hope will by final session. Here's another photo for Sandra to laugh at.

Front bridge - provisional

I was so happy I gave my dentist  a hug. I walked out feeling great. Finally I had a full set of teeth. However, I can only eat soft food until I get the final ones. I was happy to come home and show my husband the nearly final results. He thought I looked great. However, with so much anesthesia I could only manage puré for lunch and soft food until next week. So I was envious of my darling granddaughter Juliet when Oli sent a photo of her having chocolate and churros with her perfect baby teeth.

Juliet enjoying her chocolate and churros with her perfect baby teeth

I hope she looks after her teeth and won't need bridges, implants, etc in 65 years time hahaha.

On Thursday Mohammad confirmed his friend and fellow student, Sangar, who is from India, is moving in with him. They will share my father's old room which they love. I love it too. I commented that his rent will help pay for the solar panels we are having put in. This week, to Eladio's delight, we signed the contract. 

Friday came and brought buckets of rain which this country desperately needs. Friday was 8th March and International Women's Day. I'm all for equality for women, of course I am. A lot has been done since my days as a young girl starting out in the working world. It's not finished of course as there is still a lot of inequality. But in my mind feminists or those who fight for equality should concentrate on where it really is needed and that is mostly in the Middle East. My heart goes out to women in Iran who are punished for wearing their hijabs incorrectly. When will their times change? I'm sure 8th March is just another day in countries where women are considered lesser beings then men. 

That morning I did what could be considered a very womanly task. I organised the whole of Eladio's wardrobe. I even hung his shirts according to their colour. Now he has no excuse for mismatching what to wear. Often I put out his clothes as I love him to look smart and he is grateful as choosing clothes in the morning is absolutely not his thing. So who cares whether that's a woman's or a man's job? In our marriage we take on the tasks we are best at. 

One task which needs urgent handling is how to get aid to Gaza. People are starving and aid cannot get through. Thus food and provisions are being parachuted in which is not the most efficient way. I was appalled to hear that some of the parachutes did not open out and the parcels hit and killed those rushing towards them. As I write now, a US military ship is heading to Gaza to build a makeshift port for aid to be delivered. There was hope this week of a cease fire in exchange for the release of more Israeli hostages but it hasn't happened. I bet no one in Gaza gave even the slightest thought to International Women's Day. 

Saturday brought very cold weather. I think this week's storm is called Storm Monica. We had hail that morning. But we braved the weather and went on our only walk since last Sunday. We then went for a coffee where, believe it or not, we saw that ghastly man, Felipe Turover, the Russian spy, our ex squatter. Two years ago this week he was ordered to leave the house at the beginning of April. What memories. While having our coffee, I completely ignored him. No doubt he is making someone else's life impossible squatting in their house. 

Turover has been our only bad egg in this Airbnb and renting business which we started in 2017. This weekend I have 2 physiotherapists here on different Masters' degree courses, my dear Iraqi student plus a young Indian, Niranjan, who works for a company that sells robots! He is a delight and no doubt will get on with Sangar when they meet on Monday. 

And today is  Sunday which will be another quiet day. All days are quiet which is probably good but I can't wait to have my teeth finished in order to be free to travel again. I can't make any real plans until then. 

Right now, despite Storm Monica, the sun is shining so as soon as I have published today's post, I shall get read to go on our walk.

Cheers then everyone and sorry if I have bored you with my "teething problems". All the best till next Sunday,


Masha. 






No comments: