Monday, January 01, 2024

Change of plans, Elliot meets Santa Claus, Christmas Eve dinner, home alone, Christmas Day 2023, lunch out, making baklava and other tales of the week.

One day late. Forgot to post this yesterday. 

Sunday 31st December, 2023

This year's official Christmas Day photo with Juliet and Elliot. 

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year. 

Tonight is New Year's Eve and I reflect, as we all do, on how this year has been for us. The first half of 2023 was wonderful and included our epic road trip to Armenia, something that will stay with us forever. It also included the unexpected wedding of our youngest daughter, Olivia, to her partner Miguel. That was a wonderful day. The second half was not as good but had its highlights like our trip to France for a wedding and also the celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. The second half was challenging and November and December rather black to say the least. We were both ill and I took ages to shake off first flue, then gastroenteritis followed by a cold and then a horrible dental operation. If that wasn't enough the antibiotics gave me oral thrush which took away the pleasure of eating and it's still not better. 

On the world stage the Ukraine war continues into its 2nd year and there are few signs of hope for peace. Peace was interrupted in the Middle East when Hamas, the Gazan terrorist group, attacked Israel on 7th October and took hundreds of hostages. The retaliation was like Armageddon and Gaza today is the worst place to live on earth. 

Life throws you challenges and somehow you have to get through them or rise above them and that is what we always try to do. Thank God we have each other. We are getting old but still have a lot of life in us so I hope we can enjoy another road trip in 2024. I hope, above all, that Suzy gets better and I am thankful for the joy of having Olivia and her family in our lives. I am also thankful that my little Airbnb business seems to be thriving and in 2024 I look forward to meeting more interesting people and making more friends as that is what some of my guests have become. 

But let me rewind to where I left off last week; Christmas Eve. I told you then it would just be Oli and us for dinner that night but plans changed. I was up at the unearthly hour of 5.30 and began on the food preparations. At about 10, my daughter rang to say they would all join us for Christmas Dinner, the most important night in the Spanish calendar when families all gather together. Oh what joy!

While we went on our walk and to the supermarket for some last minute provisions, they were at a big shopping centre to get last minute presents. That's when Elliot met Father Christmas. Bless the little boy, he still believes. Here is a video Oli sent of him walking determinedly up to the awe inspiring Santa Claus with a huge beard and very long hair. And here is a still to share with you to mark the moment. He must have felt so excited.

Elliot meets Santa Claus
While Elliot was meeting Santa Claus, I was preparing the food for dinner. This is the potato salad I made which would be one of the main dishes. There is so much left over I got sick of it and in the end we threw it away. Hate wasting food by the way.

My potato salad which we always have on Christmas Eve for dinner
The other dishes and food were: Ibérico ham, tuna fish vol-au-vent, bacon rolls, salmon stuffed with creme fraiche on a bed of lettuce and avocado as well as giant asparagus and of course the other dish we always have that night too; Russian puff pastry pies (perushki). For dessert I made mini fruit and cream tarts. The fruit should be raspberries or strawberries but the supermarket shelves were bare as if it they had been raided by locusts in the form of last minute Christmas food shoppers, hahahah. Thus it had to be mango instead but they still tasted nice.

It is my job also to lay the table and I go all out on Christmas Eve. This year I got some wonderful new pyramid shaped crackers from M&S via The British Corner Shop Online. 
M&S Christmas crackers

I also had a green festive hat for everyone. This is what the table looked like.
Our Christmas Eve table
We had an innovation this year when Oli made a wonderful creamy crayfish bisquet soup. She needed at least 3 kitchen skivvies to help and clean up and around her but oh my it tasted divine. I must get the recipe. Here she is making the soup.
Oli was my co chef on Christmas Eve
By 8 pm nearly everything was ready and all we had to do was to get changed to look a little more formal for this very special night. Christmas Eve is called "Nochebuena" (Good night) in Spanish and a good night it was too.  Here is a video I took to show you how everything looked. Everyone looked lovely. The music and lights were on in the lounge and my grandchildren were singing and dancing so I I had to have another video. This is it: 
Dancing on Christmas Eve
Soon we were all sitting at the table and as always I had to stop Eladio digging in to make a toast first and also to take photos. Here is one of my family - bar Suzy, around the table that night.

Christmas Eve dinner

All was fine until Elliot began to play up. He wanted to pull all the crackers and thankfully we saved 4 of them. He then started pulling all our hats off and together with Juliet went round touching and pushing many of my Christmas decorations. I'm afraid my beautiful nut cracker got broken. Olivia asked me if the (she and Suzy) behaved as badly at Christmas at that age. I honestly don't think they did. I think it was all a bit too much for both of them with so many not allowed to touch attractions, haha. But it was far nicer having them all them than just three of us around the table.

When they went at around 10.15 we were exhausted and left "to pick up the pieces", hahahaha which was a lot of tidying up. At one stage Juliet had taken nearly all the cutlery from the drawer in the kitchen. What I won't put up with though is them banging on my grandmother's piano which is more like a museum piece. I told Elliot that if he learns to play the piano I will be delighted to let him play his great great grandmother's piano but not until then. 

We were in bed early and I realised we were "home alone" on Christmas Eve. Tana had gone and Mohammad was staying with an Indian friend, neither of whom celebrate Christmas. It was an absolute first in our marriage at Christmas and was a bit strange.  I couldn't sleep though and watched a fascinating film called "Disobedience" about a woman photographer who returns to her ultra Orthodox Jewish community in Hendon, London, when her father, the chief Rabbi dies. Even when it finished I couldn't sleep and I don't know why.

I was up on Christmas Day (Monday) at 7.30. Being home alone, we skipped on a Christmas morning breakfast in the dining room. But I didn't skip on  yummy breakfast food which I never normally eat. It consisted of a huge mug of very foamy cappucino, Danish pastry, a crumpet with butter and Golden Lyle syrup and a piece of toast with butter (again) and Bonne Maman jam. I had a golden kiwi afterwards to see how my mouth reacted after 6 days of oral thrush treatment. It didn't feel as stringent but the fungus is still there I am afraid. 

I then got cracking - never better said - with the preparations for lunch - a "poularde" chicken with roast potatoes, sprouts, peas, gravy, sage and onion stuffing and cranberry sauce. We no longer serve turkey as we all find it far too dry and boring - we never eat it during the year either. And of course dessert was Christmas pudding with sweet white sauce to which I added an enormous amount of rum; for want of brandy.  Lunch was only going to be for the 3 of us instead of 6 but no worries we ate the rest on Boxing Day. There was even enough to eat it again on Wednesday but I honestly couldn't face it again and it got chucked out too.  

At about 11.30, Oli and family arrived. The kids were up at their house at about 8 am, excited to see their gifts from Santa. He had also left a note for Elliot to tell him that if he didn't behave better this year, next year he might  not get any presents!! I don't know how he reacted to that. When Eladio was a child in poor and rural Montrondo some kids got things like "an egg" in their stocking or an orange. Eladio and his brother would usually get just one (unwrapped) present. But one year they got a home made bag sewn by his mother with the words (also sewn) "for two naughty boys". Inside they found a piece of coal!!! Eladio has never forgotten. I'm not surprised.

The kids got far too many presents; loads at their house, more at ours and more at their other grandmother's. It's too many for children but what can I say or do? Not much. Elliot was keen to begin opening them all; his and everyone else's but I put my foot down. At Christmas I can be rigid about the order of traditions, just as my grandmother was. First we had to have the annual photo shoot. Miguel is always the cameraman for that. I love the photo he took of the 4 of us which I have chosen for this week's feature photo. He also took one of the two of us (we forgot poor Pippa). I'm not so keen on it. The problem right now is I dare not open my mouth, after the dental operation, and I smile very badly with my mouth closed! Oh hell, I used to have wonderful teeth. 
Our photo on Christmas Day, one of my new traditions
But the photo of the day has to be of Oli and family. I had bought them matching jumpers - no easy feat because of the sizes and availability - and they looked great. Don't you think? 
Oli and family in their Christmas matching jumpers
Our presents were lovely too. I got some Rayban sunglasses after spoiling mine thanks to a nail file in my handbag, two jumpers and my favourite perfume (Guerlain Mandarin Basilic). Soon Elliot wanted to go on to his other grandmother's house and I got on with the lunch. As I explained to my husband and daughter, a roast needs nearly a whole morning to make. 

We were ready by 2.30 at our beautiful table. Oli took a photo.
Our Christmas lunch table
We were only three but it was lovely. Then came the Christmas pudding which only Eladio and I really like. By then I was a bit lazy about standards and I served the white sauce in the saucepan to keep it hot. Oli took a video of me explaining what it is is made of as she didn't know. This is the funny result.

Later the three of us retired to our quarters and Oli lay in between us in our enormous 1.80cm bed just as she did as a child. We watched Good Will Hunting which I adore until her family came to collect her. Elliot wanted to go back to his house to play with all his new toys; bless him.

That was not quite the end of a quiet and rather strange Christmas Day. I watched the end of Vigil Season 2 - amazing and then wandered downstairs to inquire whether Eladio was hungry at all for dinner. We weren't hungry but couldn't resist some of the delicious Christmas Eve leftovers.

We then turned to James Bond for entertainment but I couldn't even tell you which one we watched as I fell asleep straight away.

I was amazed to see it was 8.15 am on Tuesday, Boxing Day, when I woke up and that I had slept 8.15h too. Wow, I needed that. Olivia had gone back to work but announced they would all be coming for lunch. No problem I said; there are loads of leftovers, hahahhaa.

We went on our walk, then to the bank and to a cafe to buy another Roscón (Kings' cake) and then to the BM supermarket to get a few things. Here is a photo of my dashing husband waiting for outside the bank.
Eladio on Boxing Day


We were back by 1 to find Miguel and the kids already home and Oli would be back by 1.30. But, oh dear, I wasn't ready. I always prefer to have everything ready before they come but it wasn't to be. They were all so hungry they started raiding the fridge and in the end because of their hurry I had to serve them lukewarm leftovers. We were allowed a siesta afterwards while the kids romped around the house. At one stage Elliot came up to my room and I had to pretend I was asleep hahahhaha.

I spent the afternoon watching the Call the Midwife Christmas Special - I adore that series and then started on the Sound of Music which is on the BBC iPlayer until 5th January. As my friend Sandra said "Christmas is not the same without it". Absolutely not. I cried at some of the scenes as I always do but also for past times when I used to watch it with my Mother and  then the girls. I was a girl myself in 1965 when it was first shown in cinemas and oh how I loved it and have loved it ever since. 

That night we watched a film called The Chess Player set in Madrid and Paris from the late 30's to WW2. We couldn't have found anything more up our street. The protagonist is the Spanish national champion of chess who marries a French reporter. They move to France and he is arrested by the SS accused of being a communist spy only because he had a friend in Spain who was a Republican. It's chess that will help him survive. What an amazing story. We loved it. 

Soon it was the middle of the week; Wednesday. I only slept 5.30 hours that night (boohoo). The highlight of the day was watching Olivia on TV reporting on the low temperatures in Madrid. 
Oli reporting on the cold weather this week
She didn't have to go far, just a stone's throw from her studios in Pozuelo. It was cold - -1ºc that morning where we live but not for long. At least it has been sunny most of the time this Christmas. It's not the cold I dislike, it is rain and grey skies. 

We spent most of the morning at a big shopping centre (hate the word "mall") - Gran Plaza II. The excuse was to change some beautiful trainers Oli bought for her father which didn't fit. They weren't really his style and he went for a pair of Timberland but not the far heavier boots which we once bought in New York. He got the trainers - quite trendy I thought.
Eladio's trendy Timberland trainers
Both Oli and I had been egging him on to have a haircut - remember the one he had in Kosovo? It was at Gran Plaza II he decided it was time. We came across a good barbers for men only as my husband thinks women don't cut men's hair as well. He may have a point. So in we went, after a coffee of course which was at Starbucks that day. I used to be pretty against Starbucks invading a coffee country like Spain but have to admit their coffee is superb and they cater to all sorts of coffee whims, like mine - strong and with lots of foam, hahahahha.

Here, by the way is the barber moment which reminded me so much of our road trip and the hair cut in Pristina. 
A haircut for Eladio for the New Year

Eladio's was cut by a young boy, Medi, from Morocco. He told me his father was a diplomat and that he had lived in London, Lisbon and Rome. He spoke perfect English which I thought was wasted on him as a hairdresser. What a charming boy he was. 

We then got a present for Olivia - previously agreed upon (hahaha) and for the kids. Oli wanted us to buy them shoes - no easy feat (hahaha) for us as we didn't know their size. I took photos of the ones I liked for my daughter who told me they were all too "cheesy". She made me go to Zara Kids where I took photos of all the shoes on sale which she then relayed to Miguel, after which I got a reply. That is not the kind of Christmas shopping I like hahaha but at least I have now got the kids the shoes their mother likes.

When I got back I found my latest Amazon order had arrived - a 2024 Happy New Year banner. Dear Eladio put it up after lunch.

Our Happy New Year banner up and ready for tonight

Lunch was more leftovers - oh no, not again. Why did I make so much? The afternoon was short as at 6.30 I also had an appointment with my hairdresser, Conchi. She is cheap and good but not punctual. She didn't start on me until 7 and I wasn't out until 8.15 which is such a bore for me. I went in looking a bit like a witch as I hadn't been since the end of October and came out looking more like me. I felt tons better.

I didn't find anything much on Netflix that night - if only Eladio could watch stuff with me on the BBC iPlayer in English - but I managed another great night's sleep with just over 8h shut eye.

I was up at 8.15 on Thursday 28th December - the Day of All Innocents in Spain. It marks, I think the killing of boys under 2 by Herod (ghastly) and is the Spanish equivalent of All Fools' Day. 

Olivia was on live again that morning, this time from the main train station in Madrid, Atocha. 
Oli reporting on public transport costs on Thursday

She was reporting on transport discounts the local government is continuing with. I was glad to hear that the over 65's will carry on  travelling free in 2024. That reminded me we must get ours renewed for 2024.

I had a dental appointment at 11.15 to see how my mouth was after a week's treatment for the damned oral thrush. Well now it seems the anti fungal medicine had caused something nasty called "lichen planus" - inflammation in the mouth:-( The good news is that the thrush had receded. All this means more treatment and if it doesn't get better I will be given cortisone. As you can imagine, eating these days is not as pleasurable as it should be.

We also had a lunch appointment at 2.  I decided we should treat ourselves over Christmas and go somewhere fancy. Meanwhile I went to have a coffee on the main street - La Gran Vía - in Majadahonda and then a little walk around. I came across a lovely woman's boutique where I found a shocking blue down jacket which I bought for myself as this year's Kings' Day present from my dear husband Eladio.

I stopped for some fruit on the way home as my dentist told me to try eating these fruits every 4 days to track any improvements: banana, kiwi and pineapple. I had a bit of each for dinner. The banana was fine, the kiwi was impossible and the pineapple was so so. 

No sooner was I home then I was off again, with Eladio to El Jardín de la Máquina (used to be called La Leyenda). We have been many times, the last time being on Eladio's birthday. We were ushered to a seat in the porch overlooking the garden and ponds and soon I was sitting down to eat one of my favourite dishes; mini scallops which are called "zamburriñas" in Spanish. Here I am with a glass of wine in my hand too. You will notice I am keeping my mouth shut. That's cos I don't want you to see the gap in my teeth (boohoo). The dentist told me they can't put in the new bridge until 3 months after the operation. Damn it. You could say I am have teething problems big time!!
Lunch at El Jardín de la Máquina on Thursday
Eladio had tripe (!) followed by oxtail stew. The food was delicious and it was pleasant to go out again for a good meal. It was also a break from cooking. Once home I threw out all the leftovers which I could notlonger face (hahahaha).

We had missed the news but not the knowledge of the news as it is all the same these days and depressing too. What was not depressing was watching the end of The Sound of Music followed by the behind the scenes documentary about the making of the Coronation of King Charles III which I actually found a bit boring. I then turned to "A spy among friends" (about Philby) which I had read but the Movistar Plus TV app was playing up. Thus I decided on Pretty Woman on Netflix. Oh what a wonderful film. It's a modern day Cinderella story which I have always loved. Richard Gere and Julia Roberts are so young and beautiful in. Later that night Eladio watched the second half with me and also got hooked although this is certainly not his genre.

I didn't sleep well that night and only got 5.5h of shut eye. I woke up feeling worried about the menus for tonight and for tomorrow's family lunch where we will be 19 people!!!! So on Friday it was out to the shops again. In the end Oli will cook of the menu tonight with my help; well actually Tana's - and I will do everything for tomorrow.

We managed our walk after which we enjoyed fish in breadcrumbs with chips for lunch. Our last guests of the year were coming later in the day so we had to get more rooms ready - thank you Tana. I spent part of the afternoon watching Notting Hill - again with Julia Roberts. But it's Hugh Grant I love, especially because of his glorious English accent.

Our guests - 2 doctors and a retired University Professor, arrived just as I was finishing my dinner. Two live in Atlanta, Georgia and the other in Valencia. They are Venezuelan but left their country for very obvious reasons many years ago. They loved the house and their rooms. To think they were our last guests of the year. I can't count how many we have had this year but it's an awful lot; even more than 2023. Let's hope 2024 is just as good. I only ask for that.

Saturday was upon us quickly. That morning straight after breakfast I set upon making baklava for tomorrow's dessert. I'm sure you are familiar with this very sweet Middle Eastern pastry filled with nuts and syrup. This is the recipe I used. 

It's quite easy to make. Perhaps the trickiest part is cutting the pastry before putting it in the oven. For that I had Mohammad, my Iraqi student's help. After all he is from one of the homes of Baklava. My mother used to make it very occasionally as she had lived in Bulgaria where it is eaten a lot thanks to the Turkish influence on Bulgarian cuisine. Here is Mohammad doing the job.

Making baklava with the help of Mohammad
Once it was out and baked perfectly it looked like this.

Home made baklava
I then poured over it the cold syrup I had made previously and added more crushed pistachios.
My home made baklava

It needed 8 hours to cool at room temperature before eating. I wondered how well it would taste. Would it have enough syrup, would the top be crispy and the bottom squidgy as it should be? Time would tell.

When I was done we went on our morning walk. By the then the frost had melted. We came back to go out again just to the chemist and the kiosk. Thankfully, no more supermarket shopping was necessary.

It was in the afternoon that Mohammad and I tried the baklava. I am delighted and proud to say it tasted delicious, as good as the best to be found in countries like Turkey. I then placed each individual baklava into a glass container with layers of grease proof paper in between. It can be kept at room temperature if it is covered, for up to 5 days. After that it has to go in the fridge. I had made 48 pieces and wondered if there would be any left over. I rather doubt it.

Our guests were out and the house was quiet. I watched an old favourite, again with Hugh Grant; Love Actually, which put me in a good mood. 

I did not sleep well that night. Don't know why. I was up at 7.15 today, Sunday, the last day of the year. Our Venezuelan guests left early just as I was starting on the stuffing for one of tomorrow's buffet items; stuffed shoulder of lamb. Eladio helped me put the stuffing in and wrap them in oven proof string. Here are the photos to prove it. 

Stuffing the shoulders of lamb - with a little help from Eladio
The recipe is actually mine and the stuffing is made from: dates, dried apricots, sultanas and pistachios, bread crumbs and a little water. Once roasted it tastes delicious, especially with the sauce and bashmati rice. It is a variation of a dish popular in the Middle East (again, like my baklava). 

I think I was too immersed in preparations to realise that yesterday was Sunday and time to publish my blog. Thus you have me here on New Year's Day, Monday 31st December 2023, publishing it one day late. 

So I shall leave you my friends as I have lots to do today which you will read all about next week. Meanwhile, let me wish you all a Happy New Year, once again,

Cheers till next week,
Masha











No comments: