Sunday, September 24, 2023

Elliot turns 4, a raucous kids' party in our garden, Royal visit to France, grandparent duty, Eladio's birthday and other stories of the week.

Sunday, 24th September, 2023

Celebrating Eladio's birthday yesterday at "El Jardín de la Máquina" 

Dear all,

Today is Sunday, blog day. The week has been quiet, except for two family birthdays. Little Elliot turned 4 last Sunday and my dear husband Eladio turned 79 yesterday. When I was young, 79 was practically ancient but my husband does not look a bit ancient hahahaha. Maybe the 70's and 80's are the new 50's and 60's. Certainly in his case. So let me tell you about our week.

Last Sunday was hectic to say the least. It was complicated for me too as I was supposed to have blocked the guest calendar for Elliot's birthday but I forgot to do so for 2 of the rooms. I already had 2 guests, Mileny and Veronica, so there would be 6 in total. Host parties are NOT the thing to do when you have guests but I had no other choice. Thus I spent the day juggling things so the party would not impact my new guests. That was easier said than done. At around 1 pm when Olivia and all the family were in the kitchen making sandwiches, etc, Thomas and his partner/friend arrived. I ushered them into the green room and told them I would show them the rest of the house in the evening. My other guests, 2 ladies in their 60s and 80s, also from France, arrived in the middle of the raucous party. Unfortunately they were staying in "Andy's room", a downstairs room looking over the patio where the celebrations were taking place. I cringed every time the noise got too loud. I promised them all would be quiet by 8 pm. I sincerely hope this inconvenience for them does not affect their review. I love my Airbnb business except for the review system to which I am a slave.

Back to the preparations. While Oli and Miguel prepared the party food, Eladio and I had to entertain the kids. I had bought Elliot a painting by numbers set without realising the paint was not washable. But at least it kept him and Juliet busy and quiet for about 20 minutes hahahaha. He later left our presents at home, forlornly left I should say. They were nothing compared to the extravagant ones he got from his parents and his other grandmother. Here they are sitting quietly - for once - with "Booboo" (Eladio).

Eladio with Elliot and Juliet last Sunday

We had a birthday lunch; not that the kids ate very much. They never do. On the menu were "bitki" (Russian hamburgers) with chips; huge amounts made by Tana. Then came the birthday cake moment which was actually a plate of small pastries as the kids do not really eat cake. Here is Elliot smiling while we lit the candle and sang Happy Birthday to you.

Elliot during the cake moment on his birthday last Sunday with his father Miguel
There was no siesta for us that day as the the decorations and chairs, etc had to be set up for the party beginning at 5 pm. It had rained all day until about 3 and we were all worried it would rain during the party. But no way was I allowing 40 people into the house. The only alternative was the garage but we were lucky as at about 3pm the sun came out. It was cool later but warm enough to be outside.

While Eladio and Miguel set up the chairs, etc, Oli had me blowing up balloons; not my favourite activity. I kept thinking to myself that it would have been far easier to hold the party at some proper venue with all included. Having been an events manager, the last thing I wanted to do was blow up balloons, as in my career I always outsourced practically everything. But I had to go with the flow didn't I?
Some of the party decorations
Soon our garden was invaded - and our study which leads out onto the back patio. We had to shoo the kids out who were sitting at our desks and touching all our things. As soon as Elliot's best friends arrived - he had invited the whole class (!) - he immediately wanted to lead them to the library where all his toys are. But I wasn't having it. Eladio and I spent most of the party being gatekeepers, making sure no one entered the house. Thankfully they would be entertained for one hour by a magician. I sat on the steps leading to the pool to watch him and the kids as there is nothing I like more than magic.
The raucous party in full swing
But I was disappointed as his tricks were not good at all. He couldn't  manage the crowd and soon kids were walking off. Elliot disappeared at one time only to come back and shout to all his guests "piñata". Like the Pied Piper of Hamelin, they all followed him to the end of the garden to pull the strings of the two piñatas hanging from a tree. The magician was left alone and his performance ended half way through. Even so, I was assured the next day by Olivia, the kids had had a great time. I'm glad. The truth is I was glad when it was over, mostly because of the guests but also because I was tired. We both went to bed exhausted. 

Monday was a quiet day in comparison. Even though the house was full of guests - some 7, we only saw them sporadically. Oli came for lunch and took all the leftovers. She wanted to bring the kids for dinner but we suggested we go to their place instead. Thus on Monday evening we spent some time with Juliet and Elliot again. They were in high spirits. Helping Olivia bathe them was a challenge and I was relieved when Miguel came home early and took over. 

We came home, just as a new guest arrived. Yolanda is a tattooist and was here on a course to learn new techniques. Didn't I tell guests come for all sorts of reasons?

Tuesday was busy. We went to pick up the Volvo which made a dip in our savings and I hope  it doesn't need any more repairing soon. One good thing I heard about our 22 year old Volvo S60, is that the engine will work for ever;  according to a mechanic from the garage. We also did some food shopping and had an appointment with my doctor. The highlights of the afternoon were my Skype call with Amanda and a video call with Phil and Kathy. In both calls we referred to the abominable Russel Brand  - the comedian and supposed "guru" - who has been accused of being a sexual predator. My daughter Suzy is one of his avid fans who listens to his weekly garbage on YouTube. No amount of telling her the truth about this scum will persuade her that he is guilty. . I hate the fact too that he plays with people's minds, including my daughter's. I wish the worst for him. 

On Tuesday I had good news.Olivia has been asked to present the Illy coffee awards in November in, guess where? -New York. It's not completely confirmed but I am sure it soon will be. The organisers saw her at the World's 50 Best restaurants awards and offered her the job. If she goes, I shall go with her. New York here I come; I hope. Now wouldn't that be smashing  and something wonderful to look forward to?

On Wednesday we were supposed to go to Asturias but looked at the weather forecast for the rest of the week there and it wasn't good; with lots of rain until tomorrow. Thus we shall be leaving today for about a week or 10 days. It will be good to have a change of scenery. 

It was beautiful weather here that day and we went on our daily walk in our shirt sleeves with Eladio still wearing his shorts. When my friends complained on Tuesday about the weather in the UK, I laughed and told them they were living in the wrong country. The top benefit of living in Spain is the weather.  That day we walked to the local shopping centre for coffee and a "porra" (thick churro) which we had sitting in the sun. It was a lovely walk but the churros sort of defied the object. 

While we had leftover "cocido" for lunch, the King and Queen of England, Charles and Camilla were on their first state visit to the Republic of France. I stress "Republic" as their reception was very regal, including dinner in the Hall of Mirrors at the Palace of Versailles built by Louis XIV the "Sun King". When I was taught about him by Miss Scorer in history at St. Joseph's College in Bradford of all places, Versailles seemed to me to be a magical place. The same Miss Scorer, along with other teachers took my class to Paris on a school trip when I was about 14 and we visited the Palace. I shall never forget hearing from the gardeners that it took them a whole year to do the whole of the gardens. But what I really was most impressed by was the Galerie des Glaces. I could imagine huge balls taking place there. King Charles expressly asked for the state dinner to take place there. Lucky him. Macron, the French President has been likened to the Sun King and there are similarities I suppose. Whether this visit between the two states that still talk about the "entente cordiale" will smooth some ruffles from the outcome of Brexit remains to be seen. Whether you like monarchies or not, the British monarchy is very good at using its soft power and the visit is being reported on in  mostly  positive terms, even from left wing French media. Of note Queen Camilla was praised for her choice of dress when she wore pink.  Here is a picture of the visit which royalists no doubt love.
The Royal visit to France. Camilla in pink made the headlines. 

I, personally, cannot get over the fate of Princess Diana in Paris where her successor and arch enemy went this week. As to what they ate, lucky them, food from the best French chefs and English and French cheeses. I particularly would have liked to try the raspberry dessert as I am a sucker for anything made with this fruit which is my favourite. 

Our day was very quiet in comparison. I spent the afternoon reading and finishing a series on the BBC iPlayer, In the Dark. It's a detective series set in Manchester so right up my street.

Thursday came and I must be getting old as I was convinced it was Friday. Thus I suggested we do the shopping so as to leave enough provisions in the house while we are away in Asturias. 3 guests left that day, the "oldie" French ladies and the young tattooist. In their place a brother and sister, Jad and Joanna, from Kuwait were coming. Jad, like our two other young French students, is also here to find student accommodation. They have left it a bit late I think. Another guest, Angel, arrived on Friday. He is here to attend some motorbike event. Remember I told you people come for a myriad of reasons and I'm glad they choose our house. All our guests this week have been very well behaved, respectful and not at all invasive. My students have taken to hiring scooters to get to the University. They are becoming more and more popular aren't they?

Thus we did the weekly shop and had coffee at Alverán and came home to a home made lunch by me; cream of broccoli soup followed by meatballs in tomato sauce with rice. We had a short siesta and just as I was making my afternoon tea I got a sudden call from Olivia to remind us we were supposed to be at her house at 5.45 to babysit until 8.45 while she went to her French lessons. Oh gosh, we had forgotten. Another sign of old age I wondered. So off we went again. The kids were happy to see us and we were happy to see them too. We took them outside on their pedal free bikes with Elliot leading the way. Juliet preferred to be in "Booboo's" arms while he carried her bicycle. Elliot, meanwhile, cycled off and I was worried we wouldn't find him. Here are some pictures to remember the moment. 

Grandparent duty on Thursday afternoon
We came home and tried to entertain them on the closed terrace which looks more a second hand toy shop. I can't believe the amount of toys they have. Eladio caught us on camera. 


Entertaining Juliet and Elliot on Thursday

After about 1.5h their enthusiasm was wearing off so I decided it was time to make them their evening meal which Oli had left out for me to prepare.  Giving them dinner was a bit like feeding the monkeys at the zoo. They had chicken noodle soup followed by grilled pork with avocado. Juliet only ate the soup with half of it going on her bib.   Elliot put both courses together in a cup and made a huge mess. He then got out an ice cream tub and placed it on top of Juliet's plate where the untouched avocado was and  which went all over the floor. He then decided to step all over it. Told you it was like feeding the monkeys at the zoo. The three hours went by very slowly. Maybe we should have given them their bath but I hesitated wondering what new tricks they would play on us so waited for their mother to finally come home. When she did we were exhausted and both agreed that 3 hours with the kids on our own was 1 hour too long. Don't get me wrong, we adore them, but oh boy, they are a handful.

We came home to make a simple meal of tuna fish salad and sunk into bed at nearly 10 pm. I did not sleep well that night and neither did Suzy. She wrote to me from Santa Pola at around 2 am telling me she couldn't sleep which worried me. Later she explained she had been binge watching Sex Education on Netflix. Then I was less worried. I couldn't sleep myself and tossed and turned until I took a second sleeping tablet to induce shut eye. 

Friday came and we were free of grandparent duty. The day was ours for the taking although we didn't do much. We did go on our walk which is keeping us relatively fit. It was a warmish day so I was able to have my afternoon tea on the swimming pool terrace. Two of our guests took the plunge this week but I didn't and won't be until next year. It's autumn now and far too cold for swimming but I love being by the pool and am glad we have decided to keep it open all year, mostly so it looks good. It always looks horrible with the big tarpaulin on which gets covered with leaves and mucky water. 

Our sixth guest arrived that day, Angel, the motorbike fan. We would hardly see him at all. Friday was the day before my husband's birthday and I had everything ready. I had bought him smart black shoes and a smart white shirt to wear with his new Calvin Klein suit which is stuck at my cousin Zuka's house in France. I also signed his birthday card, ordered the cake and got out the special sash and glasses to wear at lunch. Lunch would be out at El Jardín de la Máquina. For a change we were having lunch out which made the birthday more special. 

The week went past quite quickly and soon it was Saturday 23rd September, my husband's birthday. He woke up in a very different place to where he was born - a ramshackle farmhouse in Montrondo in post Civil War Spain. He had to be separated from his grandfather who had TB, the disease his mother's sister, Argentina, died of too, in her early 20's. I'm sure his mother could never imagine his future. Anyone born in rural Spain in post war Spain did not stand much of a chance of a good future. Neither could I have ever envisaged falling in love and marrying a Spaniard of his generation when I grew up in far more prosperous UK to teacher parents. But here we are today, 43 years since we first met in the summer of 1980 living a very different life with its ups and downs but definitely a much better one. When Eladio was born there was neither electricity nor running water in his house and nor was there heating or a bathroom. The house where he lives today is a place his parents could only imagine. It was thanks to my husband that  his parents finally left their difficult life in Montrondo as  farmers. His mother's dream was to live in a flat in Leon and he made her dream come true in the 60's. They moved there and had an easier life but their heart remained in the village which we all still go to today, albeit to much better houses. 

We went on our walk straight after breakfast yesterday and once home, Oli and the kids arrived and off we went again, this time for coffee and pastries at Alverán. From there we took them to a local park and generally killed time until our lunch reservation which was at 2 pm. 
At the park with the kids yesterday

I had chosen El Jardín de la Máquina, a very luxurious restaruant in a wonderful setting with a garden and lake. It used to be "La Leyenda" where I went many times when I worked for both Motorola and Nokia. Today it is run by "La Máquina" which is a guarantee of quality food. By the time we got there, both kids were asleep which meant we could have our lunch in total peace in these beautiful surroundings. Here is Eladio at our table and another photo of his feet - yes his feet, as he is wearing the new trainers Oli bought for his birthday. I love them. 

The birthday boy with his new trainers on. 
We were joined by Miguel who was able to escape from RTVE for a couple of hours and we had a splendid lunch. We shared starters - sardines for Eladio as well as grilled octopus, small scallops, artichokes and croquettes. For "seconds" Oli and Miguel had a rice dish "arroz a banda", Eladio couldn't resist the oxtail stew and I went for lamb chops - my favourite. The dessert was the cake I had bought at Alverán. By then both children were awake and enjoying the remains of their parents' rice dish. I think they liked the place too as there were no tantrums that day. Here they are, the four of them together at our lovely lunch yesterday.

Oli and family at the restaurant yesterday 

They especially liked the cake and candle moment which Miguel recorded for us and which you can see here. Here is a pic too. Notice Elliot is eating ice cream - his favourite as we all know. 

The birthday cake moment at El Jardín de la Máquina yesterday
Then Eladio got his presents from me which Elliot gave to him, as well as a birthday card. 

We all agreed El Jardín de la Máquina was a  very special place to celebrate a birthday, especially in good weather. We left at around 4 pm while other diners were still there; very typical in Spain. Oli dropped us off at home and we came back to a quiet house. Before hitting the bed for his siesta Eladio tried on both the new shoes and shirt and I was delighted they were a perfect fit.

I couldn't sleep so made my way downstairs to have a cup of tea and watch my latest series on the BBC iPlayer by the pool with Pippa at my side. There were no signs of any guests and the weather was glorious. Neither of us were hungry so we skipped dinner and went to bed a bit later than usual. I slept better last night and was up today at 6.45 and  am raring to go to Asturias today with my dear husband and Pippa - of course. It won't be quite as warm up north but the temperatures look very pleasant in the low and mid twenties. We have to deal with a big plumbing issue and hope that while we are there it gets mended. We also have to replace all the flowers. Thus we shall be busy but will have lots of time to explore new places and visit our favourite haunts.

Thus I shall love you and leave you now as I have to get ready to go and it's already 9 am. Cheers then my friends until next Sunday,

All the best, Masha




No comments: