Sunday, January 01, 2023

Looking back on 2022, Christmas and Boxing Day, lunch at L'hardy with Julio, friends over for a festive dinner, New Year's Eve party and other stories of this last week of the year.

 Sunday 1st January 2023

This year's annual photo of Eladio and I  on Christmas morning just before opening our presents. I jazzed it up to make it into our New Year's Eve photo. 

Dear all.

It's 1st January 2023. Another year has passed and a new year is starting. I wish you all a very good year, a very good year indeed.  What I wish for, above all, is what most people want: health, peace, love and if possible enough money to live a comfortable life. 2022 was much better overall than 2021 so let's hope that 2023 is at least as good or better than 2022 and please no more deaths. 

In 2021  my father died and we had to cope with our ex KGB squatter Felipe Turover. Covid  too was still very much a hindrance.  The only really shining light of 2021 was the birth of Juliet. We did not get rid of FT until April 2022 and after that we have not looked back. We have turned the page but I do think, that in many ways he aged me. On the world scene 2022 has been a terrible year, the year Putin invaded Ukraine and the consequences that caused not just for Ukrainians. We are all poorer because of rising food and fuel prices as well as inflation. In the UK and the US in many ways, politics could not be worse - the UK has seen 3 Prime Ministers in one year and I don't have to spell out the economic situation there which I blame nearly entirely on Brexit. Very sadly too 2022 was the year The Queen died when she was a constant presence in nearly everyone's lives. That made me sad.  Sadly too my dear Aunty Valya left us this year too, another constant presence in my life.  Aged 97 she was my mother's youngest brother, Nicki's wife - the last of the Lieven saga. We went on a road trip to France to see her in July and I knew it would for a final time. At least I got to say goodbye. God speed my dear Aunt. "Piff paff" as you would say.  I must also mention Magda - Sandra's nonagenarian mother and Holocaust survivor. She left Sandra bereft this year and I will always remember her fondly. 

But so many good things happened too. I travelled a lot this year after Covid and freely so. The most important trip was to Yorkshire to lay my father to rest. I did him proud with the beautiful memorial events arranged. The girls came too and it would not have been the same without them. Juliet turned 1 this year as Elliot turned 3 and they are a huge blessing in our lives. Our little hospitality business boomed after Covid which I thank the Lord for. We travelled  to make up for the times we couldn't because of Covid. I went to our "new" house in Asturias 5 times, once with my dear friends Sandra and Adele and once with Amanda, my school friend. We also took Jose Antonio and Dolores there in June and Phil and Kathy in October. Montrondo was visited 5 times but Santa Pola only twice. We are so lucky to have houses to go to on the coast and in the mountains. This year's anniversary trip to celebrate 39 years of marriage was to Galicia and Oporto - well worth visiting - and I am already thinking what to do for our 40th. Lucky that I have my dear husband always at my side. My life would not be the same without him. In 2022 we also had the huge joy of welcoming our Danish princess, Pernille, who used to be the girls' au pair. She came to see us in September and what a reunion that was. My final trip this year was to Yorkshire again - can never get enough of it. I hope that when I write again next year reflecting on 2023 that I can tell you I spent some quality time there again.  I went in November and came back rejuvenated and ready for Christmas. 

Last Sunday was Christmas day, my favourite day of the year. So let me tell you about it. 

We broke with tradition by going to Oli's house for our Christmas day family breakfast so that Elliot could open his presents from Father Christmas at home. We got there while he had started. He is now 3 so has begun to understand what it is all about. Just look how happy he was, especially as one of his presents was an outfit of Spiderman's friend Miles Morales.

Elliot ecstatic  on Christmas Day
You see, not only Father Christmas came but Spider Man and the Ghost Spider (lady in white). Both his father and mother surprised him when they dressed up in their costumes. I took tons of photos but this is one of them all. Poor Juliet got dressed up as Super Man hahahaha.
The Spider Man family on Christmas Day at Oli's house
Elliot, as you will have gathered, is obsessed with Spider Man. But he also loves Fireman Sam and Paw Patrol - notice the Paw Patrol Control tower in the picture - his main present.

While Elliot opened his presents excitedly, he also helped to open Juliet's who was far less interested. I think she just preferred being in her grandfather's arms. Notice the bow tie - he always wears one on Christmas Day. They look fantastic on him.  What a gorgeous looking husband I have and what a gorgeous granddaughter too. 
Grandfather and granddaughter on Christmas morning

With so much excitement we had breakfast late but no worries - we loved it sitting around Oli and Miguel's dining room table. Here we are except for Suzy who took the photo.
Christmas morning breakfast at Oli and Miguel's
Shortly after finishing our delicious breakfast of "vigilantes", croissants from Manolo Bakes and a large cream filled Roscón, washed down with fresh orange juice and coffee, it was time to move on to the next item on the agenda.  That was home again to open our presents - oh how exciting. Elliot and his father went to spend the rest of the morning and have lunch with his other grandmother but we would be reunited again on Boxing Day. Our present opening session  was a much more staid an affair than Elliot's hahaha. 

That's when Oli took this year's photo of Eladio and I. We have been taking them on a yearly basis and I think or at least like to hope we are ageing gracefully. One of those photos had to be this week's feature photo, jazzed up as a NY photo (silly things I like to do).  Here is another one -  still full of love after all these years since we met in the summer of 1980!
Another caption of the two of us on Christmas Day
Everyone seemed pleased with their presents. Here is Suzy with Oli after opening a new set of ear phones Oli had bought for her older sister who spends her time on internet hahahaha.  I tried them out and they are amazing.
The girls on Christmas morning during the opening of the presents session
For the record (ha ha) I got a DVD player for the smart TV in our bedroom, a jumper - yes striped - from Natura, a scarf, face cream, soap, a box of L'Occitaine goodies as well as a bottle of Joe Malone perfume. I loved my presents.

The day was getting late and Lucy needed help - big time - in the kitchen with the turkey lunch. Of course she did as she is from Paraguay and has no idea what an English Christmas lunch should be like. So I stepped in and by about 2.40 everything was on the table and looking splendid and tempting. 


Our Christmas Day lunch

I ate too much but I think the Christmas pudding, turrones, truffles and chocolates took the biscuit so to speak. Thus I slept a two hour long siesta. Oli and Juliet had left by the time I got up and no way were we having any dinner. Instead, Suzy, Eladio and I sat in the "cat lounge" with the fire on and watched a film - The Wonder - set in rural Ireland in 1860 .- a fascinating story.

And that my dear readers was our Christmas Day. The only thing missing was a good walk and we would have enjoyed it as it was sunny all day. The other of course was watching The King's speech which I did the next day. I had to; it's part of Christmas and you know what? I loved it. Of course I missed The Queen but her son King Charles III did a good job. What I liked best is that he openly referred to his faith, something the King of Spain would never dare to do. It's not politically correct here. For me it should be as I keep on insisting that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ. Good man, he also mentioned many of the other faiths that people follow in the UK and those that don't have faith so there was something for everyone.  I loved the setting too and the carols - especially the choir of St. George's Chapel singing one of my favourites; Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. If you haven't seen it, I encourage you to do so. He also did not shy from mentioning the hardship people are facing in the UK, paying bills, putting food on the table or heating their houses. 

And then came Boxing Day, for once on a Monday. Eladio and I spent the morning doing retail therapy. I wanted to change some of the contents of the L'Occitaine box and the coat Oli bought for her father was not his size. In the end we exchanged it and instead got a beautiful Barbour (Bedale) jacket which my husband looks drop dead gorgeous in. 

Eladio in his Boxing Day Barbour jacket. 

He had never heard of a Barbour jacket, that quintessential British garment which was first created for fishermen. It is now worn by royalty and anyone who appreciates the brand and the coat which is a forever coat. I have read that it is passed down through generations. So, who knows, maybe Elliot will one day wear his grandfather's. Here he is posing at El Corte Inglés. When I told him the story of Barbour, I think my husband was doubly pleased. He especially likes the fact that these coats or jackets last forever. Thankfully, these days, they no longer stink of that awful wax they used to coat them in. 

Oli and co were coming for lunch but I was not worried as we had lots of leftovers. They were already there when we arrived and Elliot was keen to open his presents. There were presents too for Miguel. My grandson was not so interested in the books I got him from Waterstones in Leeds but loved his red Spiderman jacket from M&S. Once on, he wouldn't take it off hahaha.

Elliot opening his presents from us on Boxing Day
The family lunch on Boxing Day was great but once again too copious. I slept for another two hours which actually did me the power of good. I am gradually catching up on lost sleep. I woke up to find Oli and family still with us and joined them. Elliot was flat out on the floor with his red jacket on so we had Juliet to ourselves. Suzy got out the Cadbury's Hero chocolates, amazingly sourced from Mercadona. Juliet just loved them as you can see in the photo below. 
Juliet and the chocolate box with Suzy and Eladio on Boxing Day
Soon it was time for Oli and her little family to leave and again the house was left empty if a little chaotic with toys and wrapping paper everywhere, as well as lots of my ornaments strewn around but we soon cleared it all up. I had decided to skip on dinner but my husband was hungry so I indulged again. Christmas is terrible for the figure isn't it?

We went to bed to watch a new British spy series called Treason. I liked it but soon fell asleep. Amazingly I woke up at 7.30 am instead of 5.30 am the next day. Tuesday was 27th December, two days after Christmas but there were many festive events still to come. 

Tuesday was a quiet day and a sunny one too with the temperatures reaching more than 15ºc a far cry from the cold in the US brought about by Storm Elliot (yes). So while my friend Sandra was freezing in Detroit this Christmas, we actually had our morning coffee outside in the sun. We turned our morning walk into a trip to have a coffee and went on foot with Pippa to our local shopping centre. I wanted a "porra " (like a thick churro) with my coffee and got a churro for Eladio, half of which he fed to Pippa. Eladio is a lot less greedy than me and is more mindful of his food intake at Christmas than I am. He is such a moderate person in everything he does and I am not. We got the waiter to take a photo to immortalise the moment and I was pleased with the outcome. Not many waiters take good photos as a rule but this was one of the best. 

Coffee at the churrería nearby on our walk on Tuesday - notice Pippa too in the picture
Could this really be us after more than 40 years of being together? On my desk I have a photo of the two of us in the summer of 1980 having coffee together. This is what we looked like then compared to what we look like now. 
Coffee together in 1980 the year we met

When we first met we had no idea what life had planned for us. How could we? Marrying each other was the best choice of our lives, that I know for sure. We mused on this as we walked home, also admiring some of the houses on our way. 

Lunch was more leftovers and I by then I was sick and tired of potato salad and even trifle hahahaha. I always make too much of everything. I slept a good siesta again and carried on watching a rather silly American series my friend Amanda gave to me on a DVD. It was in the afternoon that plans were hatched for parties here on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. As you will read, on New Year's Eve, we had Miguel's family join us and today we will be 18 people when part of Eladio's family comes. I think my dear husband thought I was crazy.  Also during the afternoon, Miguel, a Spanish mounted policeman who has stayed with us before arrived. He is a delightful guest. However, I never ever got to see him. 

Tuesday 28th was one of the highlights of the week. Coincidentally 28th December is the Spanish equivalent of All Fools' Day - called the day of the "Innocents" - when Herod killed male boys looking for Jesus. We were having lunch with my friend Julio (ex Nokia, like me) at the wonderful Lhardy restaurant which is famous for its "cocido" (chick pea based dish from Madrid). I had been once in 1984 the year Suzy was born, invited by the arms export company I worked for, Defex. The Chairman was the head of the Guardia Civil, Teniente General Oliete, appointed by Franco and he was at the lunch. He also came to see my new born but most memorable of all was when he gave me a Christmas bonus of 100.000 pesetas. He gave me the money in an envelope and said "spend it on a dress"! As if I would. It was the equivalent of two month's salary at the time but later I found out I got about 10 times less than any of the male employees. I went to Lhardy again when I hosted a Nokia lunch years later. The place is steeped in history, is not cheap but is a once in a lifetime must. 

We decided to go into the city centre early to imbibe the Christmas atmosphere on an incredibly sunny day. There were locals and tourists in their throes. I cannot believe how popular Madrid has become in recent years. It didn't really used to be on the main tourist map. Eladio's brother who lives in the centre where we used to, joined us for our morning coffee. We had it at La Mallorquina, a quaint tea room (well more coffee than tea hahaha) which I used to frequent when I was a student living in Madrid. I loved the place and always got the main window seat looking directly over the Puerta del Sol - Madrid's most famous square. When we arrived it was occupied but I managed to get a photo later.

My old window seat at La Mallorquina when I was a student many moons ago
I used to sit there, my coffee lasting most of the morning, studying and slaving over Spanish vocabulary or preparing English lessons I would impart to children at their houses later in the day. That was never my forte. 

It was good to be back. While the two brothers chatted away I left them for a while to visit a handbag and luggage shop next to the cafeteria. I had always looked at the bags in the shop window longingly when I was a student but couldn't afford them at the time. And that is where I bought my Kings' Day present from me to me; a bag to wear while on our walks or travelling, a light and  just enough to fit the bare necessities. It's a bag by a brand called Hexagona which I have never heard of. Have you? We finally left La Mallorquina at 1.30 and said goodbye to Eladio's brother until today. We had just half an hour to spare before lunch and headed to the Christmas market at the Plaza Mayor. I wanted some fun Christmas hats for our festive dinner parties hahahahaha. Eladio says there is so much of a child in me, especially when I wanted to buy some fireworks. He is right.

We were at Lhardy at 2 on the dot. This is it from the outside.
Lhardy in Madrid
Lhardy is one of Madrid's most famous and classic restaurants; so much so the inside seems like something from a novel by Tolstoy  - it's all dark with red robed curtains and enormous ornate mirrors. It looks like a boudoir but it is not.
The main dining room at Lhardy and our table below



It was though  frequented by Queen Isabella II of Spain. Perhaps that is its biggest claim to fame after the cocido. That is what both Eladio and Julio went for but  not me. I wanted the boeuf wellington only to discover it's for two. So I went for my next choice; lobster which was a treat. They called it lobster salad but there was no salad. As to the cocido, it looked good but with massive portions, only half of which could my husband eat. The rest we brought home in a doggy bag. Even places like Lhardy have succumbed to them in Spain now.
Cocido at Lhardy
With the cocido menu at 60 euros per person, the restaurant included their famous souffle. I admire how difficult it is to make souffle but it's not my thing so I didn't try it. I do not like raw egg white which is basically what the topping is. 
Being served souffle at Lhardy
It was a beautiful lunch together in a very special place. But all good things come to an end - they do don't they? and at around 4.30 we parted. We shall meet Julio again this week for our last celebratory meal this Christmas. 

To get back to our car we walked through the very crowded Puerta del Sol and along the most commercial street in Spain, "Preciados" but we had had enough of the city. We did live in Madrid for nearly 5 years when we got married but we are definitely not city people although it is an advantage to have it on our doorstep so to speak - about a 25 minute drive.

We came home to a quiet house. Using my new DVD player I had brought up some of my favourite films, none of them available on any streaming platform. That day I watched one of my all time favourites; The Inn of the Sixth Happiness with Ingrid Bergman. 
One of my favourite all time films

It is set in China and based on the life story of the British missionary Gladys Aylward who travelled there in the early 30's. Gladys was alive when the film was made and wasn't too happy with its inaccuracies, especially the fact that a tall blonde woman played her part when she was small and dark. With all due respect to the real heroine of this amazing story, I have always loved this film. It was made in 1958, the year after I was born and I remember watching it with my mother years later and how we both adored it. When I watch it as I have done many times over the years I feel an affinity with my mother.

I was hungry for dinner that night as I had only had lobster for lunch so ate some leftover potato salad and trifle. 

Thursday came and we had another event that day. Eladio's ex colleagues, now friends, and their wives or ex wife in one of the cases - were coming for dinner. I would be busy cooking and preparing the dinner which would take up most of the day. We had to do some food shopping too and spent the morning on the task with a stop at the bank and for coffee as usual.

I started preparations for what would be the same menu I served Julio earlier in December - prawn cocktail, steak grilled on the table with red peppers - only the dessert was different - mini fruit and cream tarts. Thankfully I had Lucy to help and very soon the table was laid with its most festive tablecloth - bright red.
The table laid for a festive dinner with friends on Thursday night
Eladio lit the fire and put the music on and I lit all the candles which is a very big task given I have so many Christmas decorations.

Our friends Juanjo and Justi, Roberto and Maricarmen were quite punctual and like the 3 Kings, came bearing gifts - wine in both cases which is always welcome. We sat in the main lounge enjoying some canapes with Marques de Riscal white wine from Rueda before moving into the dining room. We have just cleaned the chandelier for the first time in years thus the light is rather harsh. But, anyway, everything looked splendid. 

I got everyone to wear the green festive hats but they all took them off after the pre dinner photos were taken hahaha. No worries, they were used last night and will be used again today. Here we are all lined up in them before sitting down to dinner.
Our dear friends who came to dinner on Thursday who I made wear the green Christmas hats (hahaha)

Dinner was a joyful event and I hope everyone liked the food. Most popular was the meat and the mini fruit tarts - I agree. I then introduced our Spanish friends to British Christmas crackers - quite a bit of fun and then we did a very English thing and drank port wine. It had to be Taylor's - purveyors to "the Queen" which we had visited in Oporto in the summer. We did not separate the ladies from the gentlemen though as used to happen at grand dinners like those we see on Downton Abbey hahahahha. 

The evening ended sitting by the fire in the "cat lounge" where the main topics of conversation were our grandchildren - we all have them, and, as usual,. Spanish politics; Eladio's favourite topic. 

Like Cinderalla, our guests left after midnight, a sure sign they had a good evening. We had a good evening too but I did go to bed with a slight headache probably thanks to the delicious wine and port - should not mix drinks Masha.

Friday came. The main news was the death of the Brazilian football legend, Pelé, aged 82. He had passed away on Thursday evening surrounded by his family - not sure which wife as he married a few. Considered the greatest footballer ever, the news was big and not just in the football world. RIP. Who was on his way to heaven (I suppose) was the Emiritus Pope Benedict XVI, aged 95 who died on Saturday morning.  I was always amazed that he "resigned" when Popes don't normally do so. Just being named Pope must be such a huge responsibility and he was not in the best of health so it is understandable. It is also possible he just couldn't deal with the Church and its numerous problems of child sex abuse, something which, no doubt, horrified him. 

But that morning I wasn't thinking about either Pelé or Pope Ratzinger as he was also called. I had to look after my own health and had an appointment with my urologist, Dr. Litton, the nicest doctor you could ever meet. I hadn't seen him for 8 years and was worried he might have retired as he is about my age. But no and he was as keen as ever to tell me about his philanthropic missions to poor areas in the world where he operates for free with such enthusiasm. But the appointment was not pleasant as he had to perform a rather painful treatment. I won't go into it but it had me feeling as though I had cystitis all day. Thankfully the next day I was better. I have 3 more treatments to go through and although they are unpleasant, I know I am in good hands and that they will help my condition enormously just as they did when he performed them 8 years ago. 

I went by metro there and back, leaving my car at the local metro station. Travelling to Plaza Castilla brought back  memories of my earlier days in Madrid where I would travel all over the city by metro to give private English lessons. I never liked teaching English to kids who weren't too keen to learn and it wasn't my forte. My forte turned out to be something different - the world of PR in the telecom world. I did it will but am not particularly proud of my career. I often wonder  if when I get to the pearly gates of Heaven and  explain that my career  helped make mobile phone companies richer, what St. Peter will have to say? 

These were my thoughts on my way home. Our mounted policeman had left and we have no more guests until 4th January. That's not the case in Asturias or in Santa Pola where both properties are fully booked for New Year. Suzy had gone out for lunch with Oli and friends so it was just Eladio and I. I rested in the afternoon and needed something to calm me down completely after the morning's ordeal. So, I watched the first part of my favourite film all time, The Sound of Music. I was only interrupted by Oli asking about the menus for last night and today. 

I slept relatively well that night and woke up pain free on the last day of the year, Saturday 31st December.  With everything bought for last night's and today's parties, we were free so went on our walk and in the sun again. We were free until about 5.30 pm when as a team, Lucy, Eladio and I, later helped by Suzy, laid the tables for 12 and made food for a buffet dinner. Miguel's mother, brother and two nephews were coming as they had done in 2019. Sadly since then, his father passed away. Thankfully everyone was chipping in and everyone brought food, wine and cider which we all prefer to champagne.

Soon the dining room was looking festive and the buffet spread was out on display. 



Yesterday's buffet dinner
To add to the festivities I had bought a banner from Amazon and it was Eladio's job to put it up. After a lot of humming and hawing, he did the job.
A banner to add to the celebrations
Before digging into the hors d'oeuvres and making our first toast of the evening, we had to have a photo session to record the moment and which I am happy to share with you.
The obligatory before dinner photo of us all together last night
The food was delicious and more than enough although I had had my doubts as it's not easy to calculate amounts for so many people. The main dish was roast lamb - my favourite. The dessert was a sort of apfelstrudel made by Miguel who is a good cook.

We had a merry time together around the two tables. I wondered how on earth I would fit 18 the next day but we will do it, somehow. Juliet preferred her mother's milk to what was on the table and Elliot couldn't wait for the ice cream that was served with the apfelstrudel hahahha - ah, and a bag of sweets he had brought to be shared with his cousins today, most of which were eaten last night!

After clearing everything away and doing the washing up - most of which was done by dear Lucy, we gathered in the library (aka the cat lounge) where the fire was roaring. We had an hour and a half to wait until midnight struck and I found the wait a little tiring as all I wanted was to be in bed but I had to make the effort. As you probably know, all Spaniards bring in the New Year eating one grape per chime of the clock - from the big clock in the Puerta del Sol where mad people (imo) gather to bring in the new year. These were the grapes I got, a packet of 12 per person. I was a little cross to see they came from Peru as if Spain doesn't produce enough.
My packet of 12 good luck grapes, one to be eaten on each chime at midnight
They were seedless but rather big. My husband and Suzy who were sitting next to me, managed to eat them all but I couldn't. I was interrupted by one of Miguel's nephews who had dropped his on the carpet and was frantically trying to gather them while Pippa ate most of them. That had me in stitches and thus I only managed to swallow a few of mine. They say that for good luck you have to eat all 12. Oh dear. Then of course we all hugged and wished each other happy new year and became a little raucous. Elliot didn't know what was going on and burst into tears and I had to try and explain to him what was happening. He cheered up though when we mentioned dancing while a stupid NYE programme was on Oli's channel - TVE- which Miguel told us had been pre recorded at least a month ago.  He danced for us which also had us in stitches. We all then drank some of the cider - unbelievably of the non alcoholic type - and soon after the party came to an end. I was shattered as I think most people were. That is when the fireworks started outside, beautiful to look at but they terrified little Pippa who trembled with fear until they stopped. She then got inside our sheets and curled up next to us for extra comfort. 

Today my friends is Sunday 1st January, the first day of a new year which I really hope will be a good one, or at least as good as 2022. Today, as you know, we have another party so I had better hurry up now, finish and publish this post and start getting everything ready. 

Wishing you once again a wonderful new year, cheers until next Sunday when Christmas will be over but we do have Kings' Day to look forward to on Friday 6th January.

All the best for now,
Masha













No comments: