Sunday, July 03, 2022

Wimbledon week, Booboo's house, nearly all male NATO summit in Madrid, "the beast", Russian salad on the menu, a Spanish wedding like none other and more stories of the week.

 Sunday, 3rd July, 2022

Dressed in our best clothes for the wedding yesterday

Good morning all

If you are in the UK, no doubt you are watching Wimbledon or at least caught up in the atmosphere. Wimbledon weeks were special at home when I was a child and teenager. As a family we watched nearly all the matches and had strawberries and cream for tea every day. I also remember the tension of the long matches with the likes of Jimmy Connors, McEnroe, Bjorn Borg, Arthur Ashe and then the amazing women Chris Evert, my favourite Billie Jean King and of course Martina Navratilova. Who can ever forget them? I love both men's and women's tennis. In the men's singles today we are living exciting tennis with the great three, Nadal, Djokovic and Federer but not in the women's singles. I didn't watch any matches but did keep up with how the top players were doing;  Nadal, my overall favourite of all time, Djokovic, Carlos Alcaraz, the upcoming Spanish teenager who is a trailblazer to use a modern word - and dear Emma Raducanu who unfortunately did not get past the second round.  The three men are all through to the last 16 now. Who will win? I suppose Novak Djokovic. Rafa has won 2 grand slams this year and grass is his least favoured surface. We will know by next Sunday. Meanwhile, if you are watching or following Wimbledon, enjoy. Ah, and, if you happen to be at the All England Club, then count your lucky stars. I have never been but it has always been a dream of mine. 

The day before the tournament took off, last Sunday,  was a beautiful day, one of the best. Our 7 girl guests left early at around 10.30 and told us they had had a wonderful time. They left a nice note in my guest book. I hope they give me a good review too. 

We were then alone, except for Jorge, our Colombian guest. So off we went for our walk but were interrupted by a call from Olivia asking for help. Unusually she had to go to work last Sunday as she was in charge of preparing her programme for the next day. So we cut short our walk a bit, came home and I quickly put the lunch on - roast chicken legs with veg. We were soon at her house and lending a hand with difficult Elliot who was ill but refused to take his medicine. That made him rather contrary and a handful but he brightened up when he saw us. Miguel was back at around 2 from seeing his mother which left us free to go home for our own lunch.

There was no one by the pool that afternoon and I enjoyed quiet reading time there with my cup of tea and the company of faithful Pippa. But I was interrupted again. Oli needed help with Elliot who had had a tantrum and could he come to "Booboo's house"? "Booboo is what he calls Eladio, his grandfather.  Well, of course he could. Thus we had the company of Miguel, Elliot and little Juliet. He soon cheered up when we took him into the garden and offered him the hose.  He loves the water hose which probably reminds him of his favourite series; Fireman Sam haha. Miguel took some spectacular photos such as this one which I shall cherish.

Elliot enjoying playing with the hose in the garden last Sunday
He is also into trains and has a train set at our house for when he comes. It kept him busy for a while.
Elliot with his train set
Juliet looked on in a not very interested way. She is beginning to start crawling but one leg is tucked inside which is so funny to see. 
Juliet on the verge of crawling
Lucy, very kindly, offered to make some Spanish omelets - Elliot's favourite, in the hope that he would eat something. He had been ill since his "graduation" with a throat and eye infection and had hardly been eating. He loved Lucy's omelet and nearly ate a whole one. The rest were for Oli and Miguel's dinner. 

Our own dinner was leftovers - the stuffed shoulder of lamb  - followed by a mini cornetto - and then to bed. I was not able to watch much as I began to receive all sorts of enquiries on Airbnb plus 3 new bookings which made me as pleased as punch. Who would have believed 5 years ago when I lost my job with Yoigo that I would be in the hospitality business? I often wished I had started many years ago. But it's never too late in life to start over is it?

Monday dawned and we had lots to do. I was busy preparing for new guests. One task was setting up a wifi range extender to reach my father's old room. I had bought one called TP-Link from Amazon and wondered whether I would be capable of setting it up myself; ie. linking it to our router and creating a new network and password. Generally Miguel, Ol's partner, helps me with any technical IT stuff but he wasn't around and I needed to install it asap as a guest was arriving. 
The new wifi extender which I installed on Monday
I managed successfully believe it or not. The instructions were clear and soon it was working. I then placed it in a socket in between our study and my father and Lucy's room. Lo and behold it lit up,  connected in a jiffy and I got 5 bars on my phone. I can't tell you how pleased I felt with myself.
The new wifi extender up and running
I went out to tell Eladio of my feat. He was mowing the lawn and working in the garden. He had just mowed the small lawn in front of the kitchen as well as trimmed the adelfa bushes which were growing like the triffids in the science fiction book of the same name by John Wyndham. They are poisonous too by the way.  Do you remember the book? 
Eladio the gardener
In this photo he is standing below our greengage tree which looks as it will be plentiful this year. My husband also fertilised our prized hydrangeas which look as good as any to be found in the north of Spain where they grow, a bit like the triffids too hahaha. They are looking spectacular. 
Our beautiful hydrangeas tended to by my gardener husband
Our dining room these days is the kitchen patio table where we are surrounded by the hydrangeas, the adelfas, the plum and other trees. It is a real oasis in these hot days of the beginning of summer. What we enjoy most our are dinners at night when it gets slightly cooler. Pippa is always with us of course and I had to capture her on camera reaching out to Eladio for some crumbs just to show her funny elongated body. Here she is, our faithful companion and the only dog we have left after we lost our dear beagle and labrador, Norah and Elsa, last year. We still miss them and I am sure Pippa does too. Before, she was happy in their company. Now all she wants is to be with us. That's fine with me. I often say we are not 2 in this marriage, but 3 hahahaha. 

Our tiny but long backed mini dachshund, little Pippa with her body stretched trying to reach Eladio for some crumbs

While all was quite at home on Monday, it was all go in the city of Madrid. That's because the annual NATO summit was held here. This was huge for Madrid in terms of logistics but a bain for tourists, bar owners and shop keepers as many roads were shut to traffic to let through the delegations of all the country members arriving. 

For us, though, living in our bubble here on the outskirts of Madrid, we only had to watch events on the TV but were not affected at all by this huge invasion of the city by NATO member heads of state, including Joe Biden. The summit was mainly held at Ifema, the gigantic exhibition centre, but I heard there was a mirror location all set up too, in case something happened at the main venue. Imagine! But, of course what was on the agenda was the crux of this meeting. Never before has NATO had it more difficult when it comes to protecting its member states and this is because of Russia's attack on Ukraine of course. It was to be Joe Biden's first official visit to Madrid and all eyes were on the meeting with the President of Spain, Pedro Sánchez. 

What struck me most about his visit was not Air Force 1 but "The beast", his armoured vehicle. Did you know it has its own aircraft? The Secret Service uses a "C/17 Globemaster" to transport it abroad. Amazing. Not only that, there is a replica, meaning there are two identical cars. Wow! It comes with fire fighting equipment, oxygen tanks and even a bag of the president's own blood, as well as tear gas, guns and even a grenade launcher. No doubt there is a fridge and TV too. As to the driver, well I imagine he (never a she)  is no doubt the best. The current driver is called Jason Statham. Here it is with both the star-spangled banner and the Spanish flag. 
The Beast in Madrid this week
No doubt it came into being after the shooting of President Kennedy. 

I'm sure it carries food too, probably American fast food. That was not something that would be on the Nato Summit meal menus.  What was on the menu for the press was potato salad. That day I made my version of potato salad which is called "Ensaladilla rusa" (Russian salad) in Spain. That's not news but it tickled me pink to read it was on the menu at the summit.  Journalists had a field day with the issue because of the reference to Russia. Whoever made up the menu should have thought about this don't you think? It raised a few eyebrows and hit not only the national but the international news. Later in the week they changed it to "traditional salad". 
Russian salad on the menu
Russia was of course the hottest of topics at the NATO Summit. The leaders agreed to give more financial support to Ukraine as well as more military support. Most important of all, perhaps, the Turkish President lifted vetoing the entry of Finland and Sweden as new members. That certainly ruffled feathers in Moscow. There will also be more troops sent to the Baltics and, importantly for Spain, military support in the Spanish enclaves in Morocco. I'm not sure I like that after the terrible scenes of immigrants dying while trying to climb over it last week and the way they were treated by the police from both sides of the border with Melilla. 

After watching the news late that night, I had a relatively good night's sleep. I wonder if those involved at the summit did. It must be a huge headache to put on such a show and there was a lot at stake for NATO. 

Tuesday came. Our Chinese guests were back. They arrived on 15th May to escape lockdown in Shanghai and left yesterday. They were good guests and I think they will be returning next year. Most of Tuesday was taken up by my hospitality business work as this is of course high season. Again it was  a busy but quiet day. 

On Wednesday we went on our walk again and by 11 it was already too hot. I came back sweating (should I say perspiring which is bit more polite or glowing?) and then we were off again on a few errands. Of course we added a coffee break (fika) at Alverán. I was delighted to see Oli there with her friend Cristina but  not happy at all to see damned Felipe Turover who seems to spend all his mornings at Alverán. 

I wasn't happy either when I saw on the news at lunchtime the photo of the 30 Nato country leaders at the summit in Madrid. Of the 30 leaders, only 4 are women! The world will not change until the numbers are equal. That was the thing I noticed, yet I haven't seen one comment in any news article. Have you? I was rather disgusted. This picture paints a thousand words in my mind. 
Just 4 women in this photo of the 30 NATO country leaders - disgusting

I should add the women represent countries where parity is greatest; Denmark, Estonia, Iceland and with the exception of Slovakia.  That is the way to go, of course. Meanwhile it was a woman's job - the Queen of Spain - to host the spouse programme and the picture was even direr; all women and only 2 men. One of them was the gay partner of the head of Luxembourg  which made the headlines and shouldn't have. That there was a parallel programme for the women (mostly) seems so frivolous. I would love to see these pictures reversed. I wonder what the world would have to say if there were 26 women and 4 men in a NATO summit? Gender equality is nowhere near to being a reality. 
Queen Letizia of Spain hosting the spouses' programme in Madrid this week. Notice the absence of men!

No doubt these ladies perspired too this week which got hotter as the days went by. Finally on Wednesday I took the plunge again and swam in our pool. It was delicious to have it to myself. I spent the afternoon, in between replying to guests and potential guests, reading a new book and doing something which has become very addictive - playing spelling bee. I also spent time on the phone, messaging with Oli who has been working afternoons this week. Today I shall be accompanying her to Pamplona, as Juliet's babysitter, so, no seeing the bulls running - not that I want to. Oli will be one of the reporters in a hundred strength team for TVE's  special programme dedicated to the famous "San Fermines". 100! That is a lot but then  "Los Sanfermines"  is the most popular Spanish "fiesta", both here and abroad. It was, of course, made famous by a book of the same name by the one and only Ernest Hemingway. He certainly put Spain on the map with his books and not usually for good reasons. I hate bull fighting, running after them and any animal cruelty, especially related to festivals. Miguel and Elliot were going to go with her but can't as his mother is still very weak and in hospital. Most of our chatting on the phone was about the restaurants we wanted to book tables at. Food is always on our mind hahahaha. It would be on Thursday too. 

I must add that it was on Wednesday that I finally booked accommodation for our wedding anniversary get away in August. We are going to Galicia, near the Portuguese border where we will be staying at a hotel for 5 nights and then inland to Portugal to an Airbnb which looks beautiful. This is it. Now we have something special to look forward to.

Thursday was to be the weekly shopping day and after our resumed daily walk, off we went. We had errands to do to and thus we didn't enter Mercadona until nearly 2 pm. That meant a late lunch but who cares these days?

After a hectic morning I had a lazy afternoon, except for the part where I helped Lucy  make a huge batch of, yes, Russian, pies (peruzhki). These are them
My "peruzhki"
We had them with the potato salad of which I made too much. Thankfully, Oli, who loves both dishes, stopped off to pick some up for her dinner before heading home to her partner and babies.

Friday was 1st July and would be a very busy day with lots of new guests coming. Would you believe there were 12 people sleeping here that night: one young Spanish student who had come to take exams, a young Italian girl who wanted a bit of detoxing, my 4 Chinese guests and then a family from Vienna, the husband being Austrian and the wife from Malta with their daughter.  Add to that my Spanish husband, our Paraguayan housekeeper Lucy and myself - half Russian, half English and you get the UN. My mother would have approved. It was all hands on deck to get everything ready on time - getting the rooms ready, preparing vases of flowers - mostly adelphas and hydrangeas, water bottles, plates of fruit and in the case of the Austro Maltese family, a bottle of red wine which they much appreciated. 

People arrived in different stages. Thus I was able to tend to all sets of guests separately. Everyone seemed happy. I was able to relax by the pool at around 4 pm with just the Italian girl there who seemed to be working at her PC. The Austro Maltese family arrived at around 5 and were delighted with the house. They brought with them a huge fluffy grey cat which leaves hairs all over the place. My Chinese guests told me they were allergic to cats - oh dear. 

We went out to dinner that night again, being Friday and chose Lubara, where we had been the Friday before. It was then I got a message from Mar, my key holder at Santa Pola. She told me that instead of 5, 7 guests had arrived when the maximum permitted is 6. She didn't think to call me when they arrived. She just settled them in and told me 2 hours later. I was not happy but couldn't do much. Eladio and I reflected this was a first time occurrence and that really, apart from the FT episode, the black sheep of all black sheep, we really have only had good experiences. As we had our dinner, we focused on other subjects and reflected we should count our lucky stars in general. 

We came home to a quiet house as all the guests were out to dinner too except for the Spanish boy and Italian girl who they were in their rooms. 

Saturday came and it was to be a big day. We were going to a wedding, invited by the father of the bride, Gerardo and his wife. Gerardo is from the González Gálvez family with whom I lived as a student. I was 21 at the time and he was 13. His sister next down, Irene, was 12. My mission was to teach them both English which I didn't do very well. Instead I became an honourable family member and I consider them my Spanish family. I loved them all and they loved me and this is still true today. We had bought a new suit for Eladio and a new dress for myself. Before we left we had to have a photo shoot to mark the occasion. Our Chinese guests took the photos and I think we looked fine. But, no way, can I ever compete with Spanish ladies at weddings here with their enormously high heels, incredible clothes and mini bags and hairdos. I went in flats, did my own hair and makeup  and that was that. Here are some of the photos we took before we left.


Photo shoot before we left. Notice Pippa in the picture hahaha - yes there are definitely 3 of us in our marriage to quote Princess Diana hahahahaha
We also had photos taken with our Chinese guests. They had been with us since 15th May and will be back next year. They told us they had had a unique experience at our home. Nice, right?
With our Chinese guests who left last night for Shanghai
We quickly said goodbye and off we went. The service was at 12.30 at the Convento de San Pascual in Aranjuez, that beautiful and regal town in the south of Madrid. But oh my, how hot it was there. Thankfully we were all given fans and we needed them. 

Once inside the church, the moment I was most waiting for was to see Gerardo walk down the aisle with his daughter Vicky, the proud father. His face said everything he felt which was more than happiness, pride and emotion, it was pure joy and love. Oh how I love Gerardo too. He was my little boy and will always be so. At our wedding in 1980 he was 18 and he was entrusted with driving me and my father to the church, something I shall never forget. His sisters, Irene and Julieta were my bridesmaids and without the Gonzalez Galvez family our wedding would not have been the same. Here is dear Gerardo coming down the aisle. 
The big moment, Gerardo walking his daughter down the aisle
I was very happy for them both. The ceremony was lovely but rather long - 2 hours. This was to be a lunch wedding but if the service didn't finish till 14.30 I wondered when lunch would be or rather my rumbling stomach did. 

Unlike English weddings with their strict protocol, Spanish weddings are a bit of a free for all. Thus when the bride walked down the aisle, everyone stood up and looked backwards, taking photos. Kids run out, men (and women) go out to smoke and there is little participation from the parishioners. There are no hymns as in the C of E. That's why I far prefer a C of E service and the solemnity of a wedding or a funeral. But there you go, Spain is different.  At the end, instead of waiting for the bride and groom to leave, everyone gets up and goes outside in a higgledy-piggledy fashion. 

Everyone clapped as they came out but no rice or confetti was thrown - don't know why. The lucky couple got into Gerardo's father's vintage jaguar - what a beautiful car. I learned that day that for my wedding Gerardo's father wouldn't let his son drive it as he had only just passed his test.
Thus I got driven in a Seat car, albeit a good one, one of the best in the early 80's in Spain. 
The freshly married bride and groom getting into the jaguar to be driven to the wedding venue.

We all followed in our own cars to the venue which was nearby. Called Finca Viñas de El Regal, it is a vineyard that doubles as a wedding venue. It was a short drive and, oh what a spectacular location if only it hadn't been so hot yesterday with temperatures over 35ºc. I made a beeline for the loo and Eladio made a beeline for a table in the shade in the garden where the pre lunch food and drinks were served. Eladio took off his jacket. He was one of the few as most men at weddings in Spain consider it breaking protocol. Who cares about protocol in that weather but each to their own. 
Eladio in the shade at the wedding venue yesterday

Doesn't my husband look dapper in his M&S white shirt and red silk bow tie? I thought he was the most handsome man at the wedding. I did, even if I am biased hahahaa.

Pre lunch food and drinks in the garden at the wedding venue
I think we went into the marquee for the sit down lunch well after 3 pm - we didn't leave the table or finish the lunch until 7.30 pm  - that's Spain for you where, at a wedding, time is not important hahahaha.

We were on table 8 and had the luck of being with Irene, her husband and Gonzalo B, a mutual friend. Our conversation was lively. Even more lively was the grand entrance of the newly weds. I had to have a video. I mean, I have never seen anything like it. Everyone was waiving their napkins and dancing to the music. What I did miss were speeches. There was not one and it is not common practice in Spain. Spaniards prefer singing and dancing and talking of course. 

Talk was lively and the food delicious. Before getting up to go and dance, there was a chance to mingle. I was so happy to see Pili, Gerardo and Irene's mother, who is now 83 and unfortunately  is blind. But that does not stop her enjoying life. Here I am with her and her sister Mari and with Irene who is like a sister to me.
Irene, Pili, me and Mari, Pili's sister
While everyone went off to dance, Eladio and I sneaked away. We are not dancers and were tired and hot. We had loved the wedding but all I wanted was to go home, get undressed, put on my swim suit and jump into the pool. Even Eladio joined me that day. We felt so much better later.

The house was unusually quiet. It was nice to see Lucy again who had been holding the fort and as to Pippa, well she gave us her usual euphoric greeting, bless her.

It was early to bed as we were so tired. I slept on and off and was up today at 7.30. I must finish this post now and pack and get ready to leave for Pamplona with Oli and Juliet or as I call it "Pam bloody Plona". I don't want to see the bulls and the drunkards but I do look forward to quality girly time. You will read all about it next week.

Till then my friends, I wish you all the best for today and always,
Masha












No comments: