Sunday, May 15, 2022

Showing more of Yorkshire to the girls, St. Joseph's College school reunion, moved to Phil and Kathy's, dinner at Susan's, a day in York, reunion with Maureen, lunch in Addingham and home again.

Sunday 15th May, 2022

School reunion at Geraldine's last Sunday

Good morning all,

I can't believe it's over; our 2 week stay in Yorkshire where we went to take my father home and give him the send-off he deserved. I had planned the trip and the memorial events after our horrible squatter FT left on 30th March and it was a marvelous way to start a fresh page in our life. It has also brought me closure. 

And what a wonderful time we had in my beloved Yorkshire. I left off last Sunday, the girls' last day with us and I wanted to show them more of God's own country. I really hope some of my love of it has rubbed off on them.

We had a full and happy day. We had been staying in the village of Haworth of Brontë fame but the girls hadn't seen the heart of the village until their last day. We set off at 10 am and parked off Main Street. They were to see for the first time that wonderful street in Brontë land. I had to explain a bit of the family's past to them but they soon got into the mood. 

My Spanish family on Main Street in Haworth last Sunday
It was a sunny and would soon be full of visitors so we were lucky to get tickets to visit the Parsonage where the family lived in the early 19th century.  They moved there in 1820 when the father, Patrick Brontë, who outlived all the family, was made the Parish priest of Haworth. I have been countless times, the first when I was just a child but I always love visiting the house. 

Outside the Brontë Parsonage
The girls were fascinated with my brief explanations about the family and I think they loved the house which has been left pretty much as it was when the Brontës lived there. On the ground floor you have the kitchen, the dining room and the parson's study where he apparently taught his 6 children, only 3 of whom survived. Charlotte lived the longest until 39 - so very sad. Upstairs are various of the bedrooms including Branwell's, the brother, with his papers and drawings, the father's and the girls' rooms as well as Charlotte's husband's study. You then go into the modern part of the building full of family possessions including, I think, the original manuscript of Jane Eyre. Olivia bought a copy at the museum shop. At 11 am sharp the church bells rang and Suzy and I wanted to attend the service, just as I had the week before and where I came out so inspired. It was to be Suzy's second experience of a Church of England service and I think she loved it. We didn't have the tea on offer afterwards but did speak briefly to the vicar, who blessed us when Suzy asked him to.

Olivia was waiting outside and I wanted to show my daughters the old school built by Patrick Brontë where his daughters taught and where Charlotte had her wedding reception. Everything was just as it was in their day and that part of the village is completely unspoiled. If the Brontës came back today they would not find it much different.
The girls outside the Old School in Haworth
We returned to Main Street and I spied a "chippy". The girls had been wanting to have fish and chips during their stay and that was their chance. It was 12 pm and the perfect time to eat - English eating hours - as we had an afternoon tea party to go to later in the day.
Oli in the chippy in Haworth
We had them outside as you do in England but they were a bit difficult to eat with the single plastic fork we were given. The girls thought they weren't good but Eladio and I loved them.

As we walked down Main Street I pointed out the lovely little gardens of the tiny terraced cottages, so lovingly looked after without litter or graffiti anywhere. Everything was perfect. Oli took a great picture of Eladio and I outside one of the prettiest.
On the steps of a cottage on Main Street with its lovely flowers and plants
I sensed that Haworth had worked its magic on the girls too, just as it had on me when I first visited as a child. I never tire of this pretty village which is steeped in history. 

The next item on the agenda was a drive to the pretty and very posh town of Ilkley - a 30 minute drive - to go to M&S for baby food and drinks, flowers and chocolates to take to Geraldine and Susan's house where we were invited for dinner the next day. I wanted the girls to see Betty's too and we actually got a seat and had a cup of tea and coffee. Their food is very tempting but we couldn't eat anything as we had afternoon tea ahead of us. My family from Spain loved Betty's as I knew they would. 
Tea and coffee at Betty's in Ilkley last Sunday
Everything about Betty's oozes English quaintness. Their impeccable and old fashioned service is of the best and I particularly love the way the waitresses are dressed. We didn't eat anything but we did buy food to take away. Oli got bread, biscuits and fondant cakes. I got fondant cakes and florentines but would have loved to buy the whole shop; except that it wouldn't have fitted into my Ryan Air luggage allowance hahaha. 
One of Betty's shop windows in Ilkley
It was a beautiful sunny day and the warmest of our stay which brought out the best of Haworth and Ilkley, two of my favourite places in Yorkshire. It was nearly 3 by the time we had finished so we would be a little late for the garden party. To get to Wilsden we went over Ilkley Moor, the Cow and Calf rocks as well as the pub of the same name. It was such a pity we couldn't climb up to the rocks for the girls to see the view. That will have to be another time.

Nearly everyone was at Geraldine's when we arrived except for Amanda and Andy and they were all sitting outside on my friend's terrace. What a beautiful house she has and what a warm welcome we got. We have had various St. Joseph's College reunions over the years but this had to be the best as it was at a friend's house rather than a restaurant. Geraldine, Bev and Catherine had prepared a spread for a king and queen. Eladio remarked it looked like a banquet and he was not wrong.
The afternoon tea spread at Geraldine's house on Sunday
One of the "girls", Maggie, had to leave early thus we took our group photos before she left and how hilarious that was. Oli and Andy were taking the photos and my daughter made us jump for the fun of it. She had forgotten we are in our 60's, so no spring chickens, but we rose to the challenge as you can see in the photo below.
Our fun group photo
I have chosen the more sedate group photo for this week's feature photo to remember the wonderful school reunion at Geraldine's. 

To think we have known each other since we were 11 is so special. But because we do we were all so relaxed at the party. The girls loved my friends and I was so happy for my friends to meet them. Everyone was drinking prosecco or Ukrainian beer and we enjoyed chatting with the lovely backdrop of the field in front of Geraldine's beautiful house. 
Enjoying being with my school friends again
The food was scrumptious and we all tucked into the sandwiches, savouries, scones, biscuits and cake. There was far too much and Geraldine ended up taking most of it next door to her neighbours. But all good things come to an end don't they? We left at around 7 pm as we had to have an early night as the girls would have to be up early on Monday morning. I hope we don't leave it too long until our next reunion.

We came home with full stomachs of course and again it was only Oli who had something to eat - well, she is breastfeeding. The girls packed and I helped bathe little Juliet who had behaved perfectly all the time she was with us. It was early to bed for all of us. I was awake at 5 am on Monday morning. Suzy was up just shortly afterwards and at 5.50 the taxi was there. How sad to see the girls go but how wonderful it had been to have them with us for such an important occasion and in my beloved Yorkshire. We later got a message that said they had arrived and it was about one hour and a half since they had set off. Manchester is not far but it takes a long time to get to. I wished them a safe journey.
Eladio looking on from our cottage as the girls leave

The girls leaving and Oli feeding Juliet on the move (haha)

On Monday we too were leaving the cottage. We had to vacate it by 10 am which left us plenty of time to pack. We were to spend the last 3 nights of our stay at our dear friends, Kathy and Phil's house in Utley in Keighley. I was determined to get the most out of every minute until the day we left. 

No sooner had we arrived then the girls landed in Madrid. They told us it was chaos to get on the flight in Manchester. They advised us to arrive 3 hours in advance as people who are taking too long to get through security simply miss their flights. That day 7 missed theirs on the girls' plane. That was a warning we would have to heed, meaning we would have to set off at 5 am on Thursday - crikey.

We arrived to a warm welcome and large house with a large room and very comfortable bed. We loved our little cottage in Haworth but oh my it was tiny and that it made it uncomfortable for living. It is far more suited for 2 people. 4 or more is too much. Kathy and Phil's house is a large Victorian semi detached which is beautiful inside and out. This is the front of the house and the front garden. We love staying there. 
The house from the front

The front garden

As soon as we had unpacked, our friends took us for a walk along the River Aire. It was a splendid day with the sun out and we admired the swans, geese, ducks and their little offspring. 
On our walk with Phil and Kathy on Monday
I came back "knackered".  I was so tired I could have fallen asleep for the rest of the day. It must have been due to getting up everyday at 5 am and to the exhaustion and stress from the week of the memorial events. We had a lovely light lunch and then I was able to go to sleep and managed at least 2 hours. I could probably have carried on until the next day but we had an engagement. Susan, our neighbour of 40 years at Heaton Grove, had invited us to dinner that night and we had to there by 7 pm. It wasn't the best night to go out but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. So I made the effort and got dressed to go out. I wasn't sure my evening dress would fit after all the fish and chips, cake, curry, etc I had been gorging on, but thankfully it did.

It was an easy drive to Susan's house as I know the way backwards. It's basically a straight road all the way from Keighley to Shipley - our old house is just before Shipley starts. We were 5 minutes early so I suggested driving all the way up the top and down again to number 5. Oh what memories. Susan welcomed us into her amazing house - a bit like a museum. It was like going back in time and her house is the nearest to "home" as ours was the house next door. She ushered us into her amazingly appointed lounge with its beautiful decor, ornaments and paintings. Her family had an antique business and you can tell when you enter her house. Susan is aged 88 yet her house and garden are in the finest condition. She tends to both which is quite amazing. We sat and drank champagne; not something we often do but it felt very fitting in her quaint and time gone by lounge with the fire on.
In Susan's beautiful lounge

Shortly after we arrived, the photographer, Roger, who I had hired for the Memorial Service came to be paid. I had tried to do an international transfer unsuccessfully so had agreed to meet to pay him in cash. He stayed a while and seems an interesting chap. He hails from Salisbury and has worked for the local Bradford paper, the "T&A" but now works freelance. He took some wonderful photos of the event. When he left we moved into the dining room; every bit as stunning as the lounge and Susan had laid the table beautifully. The flower arrangement in the middle of the table with a great big candle, was her work. What a gifted woman she is.
The dining room table beautifully laid
Susan had made us a meal of roast chicken, asparagus, roast potatoes and green peas which we ate while chatting non stop. As she has known my family since 1964 it was lovely to hear some of her anecdotes about us, some I had never heard. We later had some of the chocolates I had taken along and bought at M&S but declined coffee as it was getting late. It was sad to say goodbye as I don't know when we shall see our wonderful neighbour next.

The drive back was easy. I think we got to the house at about 10.30 pm. We went straight to bed and slept like logs. I woke up at 5 am feeling refreshed. On Tuesday we had a day in York to look forward to. If you haven't been to York, put it on your bucket list. It is one of the finest cities in the country. 

Again I was up at 5 am. I was on Spanish time throughout our visit - damn. I had time to write this blog, do the wordle puzzle of the day and even follow a bit of the news.  You will have noticed I hardly mentioned world events while in Yorkshire. That's not because I wasn't interested but I was just too busy enjoying our stay.  I also had time to explore our friends' garden and admire their lovely old Victorian home. 
Kathy and Phil's wonderful back garden

Unfortunately when I walked back up the stone steps to the front of the house I fell flat on my bad knee. I wasn't sure I could get up again and was worried I might have damaged it even more. Thankfully I was able to get up again and would be able to walk. I really must have that operation on the meniscus, cancelled because of our horrible squatter back in January.

We left for York at around 9.30 and it's a 1.5h drive. York as a city is a very big tourist attraction because of its Minister (Cathedral too), the walls around the city, the Shambles (medieval narrow street) and its railway museum which is probably the best in the country. I also love the Castle Museum but there was no time for museums that day. We parked near the train station which brought back memories of my many train trips to York from Bradford when I was a child. York was the destination of my very first school trip when I was about 8. I remember being given half a crown (two shillings and sixpence) which seemed a lot of money to me and having a grand time. Well, we had a grand time too that day. York is a city I can never tire of. I wouldn't mind living there or in Ilkley, Otley or Harrogate. But that's not to be. We walked along the ancient walls starting at Micklegate Bar. The picture is great except for the road works - sorry. 


Outside Micklegate Bar
It was a sunny day but with a bit of a breeze. I enjoyed walking on the walls except for the part where there are no railings. Soon the majestic Minister came into view and that was probably the best photo of the day; taken by my dear husband.
On the walls of the City of York
York was, of course, the county town of Yorkshire. When Yorkshire was divided into 3 counties  the new county town of North Yorkshire is Northallerton, but for me it will always be York. In the old days Yorkshire was divided into 3 "Ridings" and we lived in the West Riding. Today it is divided into 4 counties - East Riding of Yorkshire (so they kept the word Riding lucky them), North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire. There never was a "South Riding", just North, East and West. I hate the way they have changed the counties in England don't you?

The walls don't go entirely around the city, so when the wall from Micklegate ended we walked down onto the streets. I admired some of the buildings, but not the moderns ones which stick out like an ugly sore thumb. Noticeable too is the colour of the buildings. Unlike most of the rest of Yorkshire they are not built with Yorkshire stone but with red bricks, a bit like Manchester. We walked along the old streets of Stonegate, Petergate, etc until we got to the famous "Shambles" - once an area for butchers. This tiny street which narrows so much, people living there could probably hold hands and is a typical and well conserved Medieval street which dates back to the 13th century.  A visit to York always has to include a walk along the Shambles. 
On the Shambles in York on Tuesday
We could have gone to a museum afterwards, but no, we went to Marks and Spencer's. I had to change a shirt I had bought for Eladio that was too big and ended up buying him 5 shirts. Many of his have frayed collars and M&S shirts last for donkey's years. I got myself some leggings - in a larger size than usual (must go on a diet now) and a  long sleeved striped top. I can never resist stripes. I don't know why.

Phil and Kathy had gone ahead to queue up at Betty's. Where else would we want to have lunch in York? hahahaha. We got a table quite soon. Betty's is well known for its quality but service was slow that day. Phil and Kathy had fish and chips (yummy) but as I'd have my fill of them on this trip, I went for my second Afternoon Tea at Betty's during our trip to Yorkshire. 
Afternoon tea at Betty's in York on Tuesday
Eladio chose the soup of the day - he always wants soup for lunch - and for his second course he went for a full English breakfast which he loved. Well, of course he did.
Enjoying Betty's in York on Tuesday
On our way back to the car later we walked past the magnificent Minster which we would have visited if it didn't cost nearly 13 pounds (for pensioners). 
Phil and Eladio walking back to the station with the Minster in the background

Besides we were all tired so off we went to fetch the car and drive home. Some of us fell asleep in the car of course.

Once home, we chilled out and again we went to bed early at around 10.15 pm. I was awake on Wednesday morning at 6 rather than 5 and felt rested. Wednesday was to be our last day in Yorkshire. 

We had a leisurely morning before setting off to nearby Cliffe Castle where we were to meet our school friend Maureen who had been away, believe it or not, in sunny Spain, while I was in Yorkshire. I noticed that morning the glass milk bottles on our friends' doorstep and had to have a photo. You might think that is silly but it isn't for me. Seeing the milk bottles there reminded me of my childhood when we got our milk from the "milk man". My parents used to order the gold top which meant the milk was not only full fat but had a thick layer of cream at the top. My parents would siphon it off to have with their coffee. Everywhere I look in Yorkshire I am reminded of my childhood. Why I am so obsessed with my past I wonder? Other people don't seem to be so why me? I don't know the answer. Maybe it is because I left my country to live in Spain and a part of me misses England. It does, I know but I'm not sure that's the answer. Maybe it's because I am the only surviving member of my original family and I have many memories of my father, mother and George there. Whatever the answer or combination of answers are; I know have nostalgia for Yorkshire and my childhood there. 
Our friends get their mil delivered which reminded me of my childhood. I love that custom
We were to meet Maureen at the Cliffe Castle Pavilion cafe and while we did, Eladio and Phil went off to explore the museum which my husband loved. - A little aside here - Eladio is wearing the striped rugby shirt I got him from M&S in York. I thought he looked so good I took a photo at Kathy and Phil's house. M&S rugby shirts last over 20 years and he needed a new one. That means he may well be wearing this one until he is 97 hahahahaha - 
Eladio wearing his new M&S rugby shirt on our last day in Yorkshire

While on the grounds of the castle, another childhood memory came flooding back - on the day Winston Churchill died, my father gave me half a crown I think. I spent it on a booklet about Churchill but also on bus fares for my brother and I to visit Cliffe Castle. I always remember the section with children's toys from the past which I loved. I do love the past don't I? Why?

Anyway, while they were at the museum, our tongues were wagging over tea and coffee. I hadn't seen Maureen since our last school reunion quite a few years ago, although we are always in touch via social media. She is such a lovely "girl" and beautiful with it too. We caught up on our lives and  over an hour later Phil and Eladio joined us. 
Eladio, Maureen, Kathy and Phil
I love to see how well Phil and Eladio get on. While we were chin wagging they enjoyed their own company. 

My husband and Phil talking animatedly in Spanish in the gardens of Cliffe Castle on Wednesday

They are real friends and I often wonder what they talk about when they are on their own. Phil loves talking to Eladio in Spanish. How fortunate we are to have Kathy and Phil in our lives. How fortunate too that I have school friends I am still in touch with. We met aged 11 and now are 65. That says a lot. Before we left I got Eladio to take a photo of the 3 of us to remember our reunion. Here we are smiling on the grounds of Cliffe Castle. 
Official photo of our reunion with Maureen on Wednesday at Cliffe Castle in Keighley

I could have carried on all morning but we had a lunch appointment. Kathy had booked a table at The Fleece in Addingham for our last day. We had planned on a walk around the pretty little village, not so far from Ilkley and Bolton Abbey, but it was late and it rained. Thus we just went straight to our table. The food was glorious but the service was slow and I wondered why. I couldn't face fish and chips again so went for steak and it was out of this world. The pudding was too: pineapple mess.
The Fleece in Addingham

We walked out very late and feeling incredibly full. Thankfully it was to be my last big meal in Yorkshire. Once home, Eladio and I conked out and slept. None of us wanted any dinner that night so just sat up chatting until it was time to go upstairs and pack. We were to be up early on the day of our departure, Thursday, at 4 am. 

Our hosts got up too to see us off even though we told them it really wasn't necessary. We set off at 5.06 sharp and took the route to Manchester Airport everyone said was the best - through Colne and Nelson and then on to the M65 and not via Bradford and the terribly busy M62. Thus we arrived safely and were soon dropping off our rental car at the Rental Car Village - a huge complex. From there we caught an airport bus to Terminal 3 and soon we were queuing to check in. We were there more than 3 hours before our flight and everything went smoothly. The plane was on time - leaving at 10.15 (11.15 Spanish time) and I had a funny feeling in my stomach as we boarded. When would we be back again I wondered? 
Leaving England, the country where I was born

Eladio boarding
The plane was not quite as full as going out and we had a row for 3 to ourselves. We tucked into M&S sandwiches we had bought at the airport and the flight was smooth. At 12.45 Spanish time we landed and I was amazed when we got to the carousel to see our luggage was already there. 

We arrived to very warm weather - 28ºc - down from over the 30ºc the day before, so said our taxi driver. We came home to a quiet and clean house and were greeted by Lucy. There was no sign of our 3 French guests nor of Maria Eugenia who had been staying for nearly a month. We saw them later that night. Lucy who had held the fort in our absence, told us they had been no trouble at all. There too and waiting for me anxiously was dear little Pippa. What a wonderful welcome she gave me. She got lots of cuddles from me too.

We did our unpacking. I was  bit cross to realise I had left my Amazon TV firestick at the cottage and 2 wonderful M&S and Sainsbury's shopping bags. Thankfully our dear friends, Kathy and Phil, would keep them for us and bring them when they come to visit. They had gone off to York again to a campsite nearby and we missed them. I wished they had flown back with us.

The rest of the day was quite lazy. There was hardly any food left after nearly 2 weeks away and the first thing we would have to do on Friday would be the food shopping.

I didn't sleep that well as I still have an awful cough and was up at 6.30 Spanish time on Friday morning. It was good to sleep in our large bedroom and comfortable bed. There is no place like home is there? Except that I have two homes; Yorkshire and Spain. There was lots to do that day. I was inundated with new reservations at our home here. The only day without guests was actually Friday and it was lovely to have our home to our own. We did the shopping and had a coffee at Alverán where we didn't see the nasty man (Felipe). Lunch was curry I had bought at the Co.Op in Haworth on our first day there. 

My body was home but my mind was still in Yorkshire. That day the local Bradford newspaper, The Telegraph and Argus, did a big piece about my father's Memorial Service, one week after the event. That took me right back to Bradford Cathedral. It was out online on Friday and would be in the paper edition yesterday. Dear Emma C, the journalist, will send me a copy to add to my collection. My father would be astonished at the "publicity"! The T&A photographer had been at the service and I particularly like the lead photo of us as a family on the front row together with the Deputy Lord Lieutenant, David Pearson, who represents HM the Queen in West Yorkshire. I still can't get over that. 
The photo from the T&A that illustrated the article about my father's Memorial Service at Bradford Cathedral on 6th May and which was published on Friday. 
I was so pleased that the story of my father's events was continuing. I am still receiving too emails from old boys, friends and colleagues. Amazing! The article added a spring to my step as we left the cafe and made our way to Carrefour for the last of the shopping.

Lucy left after lunch for a well deserved weekend break and we had the house completely to ourselves. We slept a short siesta and I spent time doing this and that in the afternoon. At 8 pm dinner was on the table in the kitchen patio with the sound of birdsong as a sort of orchestra while we enjoyed our salad.

I slept so so that night because of my awful cough and woke up on Saturday morning at 6.30. I had lots to do that day. The highlight would be having Oli and family round for our first barbecue of the season. I hadn't seen little Elliot since a week before our departure to England and I was dying to be reunited with my darling grandson. 

Saturday was 15th May, San Isidro in Spain, but also the anniversary of the death of my dear brother George. He died on 15th May 2001, 21 years ago. Skin cancer took him and I have missed him ever since. He lives on in my heart and is never, ever to be forgotten. I can only hope he is now with my parents.
George and I in our early 20's
Thankfully I have my own family to comfort me now that I am the only surviving member of my original family. And I have grandchildren too who are my pride and joy. We went out to buy ingredients for the barbecue and also got lots of "iqueam" (ice cream) for little Elliot who has inherited mine and my father's sweet tooth and addiction to ice cream and chocolate hahahaha.

It was to be the first barbecue of the season and Oli and all her family came as well as my daughter's best Uni friend, Anita. What a lovely girl she is. Apart from preparing the lunch, I also put out all my grandchildren's toys which I knew Elliot would make a beeline for. He loves playing with the toys here which are different to those he has at home.
 
Elliot and Juliet's  toys on display for their arrival yesterday
In the afternoon Eladio caught Elliot on camera absorbed in play, bless him. 
Elliot playing with his toys yesterday

Eladio started the fire just before they came and it was the best sort of weather for an outdoor family barbecue. One thing I have appreciated since I got back from England is, of course, the weather.

Yesterday's barbecue in the making
Oli and the children arrived at around 1.30 and I scooped up the children in my arms, not knowing which one to hold and kiss first. They are so heavy - Elliot weighs over 15 kilos and Juliet just under 10, that I dropped my little grandchild into the high chair to catch my breath. She smiled lovingly at me as she does to everyone. What a little charmer she is and so well behaved.
Little Juliet smiling from her high chair

Soon Miguel who had been to do some shopping and dear Anita arrived. What a lovely positive girl she is and so good with babies. I hope she has one of her own soon. Elliot warmed to her immediately as does everyone who meets her.
Anita with Juliet and Elliot yesterday
She came loaded with 3 puzzles for Elliot who played with them all afternoon. We all had a great lunch except for Elliot who was only interested in his "iqueam" hahahaha. The barbecue was great: good quality hamburgers, chorizo and sausages with baked potatoes and salad. Dessert was melon with raspberries but also ice cream and the delicious florentines Oli had got at Betty's. I spent the whole afternoon with Oli, Anita and the children until it was time for them to leave. They left at our dinner time - 8 pm - but I was hardly hungry.

That night we could have watched the Eurovision Contest but are not really fans - there are too many entries and too many silly songs. As was predicted Ukraine won, less on merit than on sympathy. The UK came second and Spain came 3rd so a good night was had by all.

Today is Sunday and my Chinese guests are arriving. More excitingly my dear Uni friends, Sandra and Adele, are arriving tomorrow and on Tuesday I am taking them to our new house in Asturias for 4 girly days together. It's going to be a great week.

Wishing you all a great week too, let me sign off now until next Sunday. Cheers till then, Masha. 











No comments: