Sunday, October 17, 2021

Covid not in control in the UK, good news for Adamo, Autumn break in Asturias, National day of Spain, RIP Eddie Jaku, a visit to Lastres and Cantabria, home again and other tales of the week.

Casa del Cuetu, Asturias, Sunday, 17th October.

At the viewpoint, "Mirador de San Roque" overlooking the bay of Lastres on a beautiful sunny morning. 

Good morning all.

How has your week been? Mine was a bit stressful on Sunday and Monday but coming to Asturias for an autumn break has helped me wind down. Last weekend was a bank holiday to celebrate "la fiesta nacional de España" (national day of Spain) and the "Pilar" - the patron saint of Zaragoza. People left in their droves to their second homes, hotels or rented apartments as if there was no tomorrow. Now that Covid in Spain, at least, is back in control, I think people wanted to live it up a bit. I don't blame them. All our houses were full until the end of the weekend. Santa Pola would have been too but now Suzy is living there. The Valencian and Alicante coast had occupation rates of about 90%. 

In Spain the number of cases is down to about 40 cases per 100.000 people. However, Covid is not under control everywhere. In the UK it is certainly not in control. The numbers are still far too high. I put that down to not wearing face masks, the early lifting of restrictions and the plateaued vaccination programme The picture below which I got from The Times shows the daily number of cases per million inhabitants and the UK does not fare well. The data is from 11th October.


It is true the UK may have been the country that administered the first dose of the vaccine and that its programme was ahead of the rest of the world. But it has now fallen behind Western Europe where all the countries have caught up and surpassed the UK in the percentage of the population being vaccinated. The chart below shows how Britain compares to other countries. The data is from 13th October. 

The UK doesn't fare too well either when it comes to the number of fatalities  as you can see from another picture borrowed from The Times on 13th October this week.

World data 13th October - the number of deaths; not looking good for the UK. 
Another reason for the UK's high numbers sees the government to blame. This week a report came out of Westminster on the failings of the government to control Covid, especially at the beginning. Do you remember when Boris Johnson said he would shake hands with anyone and his strategy to get herd immunity? He did not achieve herd immunity but he did achieve a lot of deaths. Damn the man. He may have learned his lesson when he got Covid himself but why oh why has he lifted the restrictions on the wearing of face masks? 

Worldwide the total number of infections and deaths rose from 238.373.896 and 4.811.923 to 241.190.547 and 4.910.402. There is now the issue of administering the vaccine to kids under 12 and the threat of flu. Some pharma companies are working on a double vaccine against both flu and Covid. Soon my father and Eladio will get their third dose which will be given to the over 70's but what about the countries where many people haven't even received their first dose? Not on I say.

I wasn't thinking about Covid though last Sunday. It was a very busy day for me. I had work to do for my customer Adamo, a Spanish fiber optic (internet) operator which focuses on rural areas in Spain where there is a lack of fast broadband. 

Adamo is the leading fiber internet operator in rural Spain and was much in the news this week after the announcement of the sale by EQT to Ardian private equity companies for over 1 billion euros.

The company was founded by a Swede, Fred and his Spanish partner, Xavi a while back. Then in 2017 they sold it to a Swedish private equity firm and since then it grew in leaps and bounds and now has about 1.8 million homes covered. I have had the privilege of working for them on press topics since then and am proud to be part of their journey. Last weekend the private equity firm sold it to another private equity firm, a French one called Ardian. The price of the sale was not disclosed but the media reported it was around or above the 1 billion euro mark. Wow! That is a lot of money,  much more than the cost of Yoigo in 2016, my former employer, when it was bought up by Masmovil.  Last weekend saw me involved in the preparation of the communication of the news along with management and press people from all 4 companies all located in different countries. You can't imagine the amount of emails that generated. I was never off my phone.  It was very good news for the company and no doubt those who owned stakes in Adamo made a lot from the deal. I  only wish I had invested a small amount when I first started working for the company. That is the way to make money my friends, not renting  houses or having a normal job. 

My job is still as a freelance worker so that morning saw me gathering all my invoices and expenses which I have to send to my accountant at the end of every trimester. She then does my taxes and I have to fork out quite a lot. This happens at the end of March, September and December and it is one big bind. 

It was a warm day last Sunday but I didn't go out. It was not a good day for the Spanish national football team, "La Roja" who were beaten by France in the final of the UEFA Nations League. Spain lost 1-2 but there was a big hoohaa here about the equaliser scored by France which all the papers reported as being offside. I watched the goal and have no idea if it was or wasn't. Football rules are complicated. 

I didn't sleep well that night and was awake emailing and sending and receiving messages about the company sale until past 11 pm - a bit late right? I wondered what the headlines would be like on Monday morning. 

Monday came and it was the day my marvelous Polish guests, Dariusz, Mishka and Macidj were leaving after spending 2 weeks with us. As I told you last week they had come to work at the Spanish golf open. What marvelous boys they are - they are all in their 20's. I told them that if I could meet their mothers I would congratulate them on how well they had brought up their sons. Not all young boys in that age bracket are so well behaved. Besides, they were charming and I really hope they come again. Later Dariusz left me a glowing review. I left him one too. Another guest was coming that day, a man called Gustavo from Mexico. He had come to see his granddaughter who is studying at the University near us. I would love to have met him but it wasn't to be.

I had preparations to make for leaving for Asturias but was so busy with press work we weren't able to do so until noon. I didn't even have time to prepare a picnic. 

As we drove I followed the news and headlines on the deal and even Reuters picked it up. It was good news for the Spanish market.  I really needed to wind down during the journey but was not able to do so for the first part. I was also attending to my other work - my hospitality business; in touch with Gustavo and with the guests who were leaving our house in Asturias. Arantza and her family had been here for the weekend bank holiday and told me they adored the place. I was so happy to hear that. We adore it too.

We stopped for lunch at one of our favourite places, Alar del Rey, a village in the province of Palencia and by the Pisuerga River. It is a beauty spot and the restaurant there, La Cueva, is very popular. Thank goodness I had booked a table. We had a marvelous menu of the day  and I was pleased with myself for sticking to my diet. I was pleased too that morning when I got dressed and saw that I could get into my jeans - no great victory yet as the ones I tried on are a size 14. To think a few years back I was a size 10. Size 10 is not me really but size 12 is where I should be at. I'll get there I know. I always do. The problem is the yoyoing. 

As we left I went to have a look at the river which looked so alluring. I found a spot for a picnic next time and got Eladio to take photos. Beautiful spot isn't it?

The River Pisuerga in Alar del Rey
Of course I had to have a photo with Pippa too and Eladio obliged.
Happy on our journey to Asturias
We were in no hurry and were in El Cuetu by about 6 pm. The house was warm and clean and we just had to unpack. I had brought lots of food as Tuesday was a national holiday and all the shops would be shut. It was wonderful to be back and also wonderful to be just on our own, with Pippa of course. My neighbour Loli who looks after he house had left us some of her hens' eggs as well as home grown tomatoes and red peppers. We had an egg each for dinner and there is no comparison with shop bought eggs. 

Thanks to the cold I caught from little Elliot I am going through a coughing period at nights and that night was not good. I had loads of cough mixture and tablets and managed to sleep until 8 am.

It was nice to wake up in our "new" house on Spain's national day or "Día de la Hispanidad". I only wish it could be like France's 14th July or America's 4th July but it isn't. Spaniards are patriotic to a point but spend a lot of their time and energy criticising their wonderful country. It's also the National Armed Forces Day with big military processions and "El Pilar" -  the day of the patron saint of Zaragoza, the Virgin of Pilar. So three things to celebrate that day except that we didn't. Spaniards though are happy to have a bank holiday but nobody celebrate's the country's national day as they do elsewhere. I think that is a pity. In most countries people would proudly decorate their homes with the national flag and have picnics or barbecues. But Spain is such a divided country and always has been - e.g. the ghastly Civil War between the left and the right, that the Spanish flag has fascist connotations still. The Spanish flag is only acceptable at football events. 

So we didn't celebrate it either as it is not a tradition here. Eladio would have loved to watch the military parade where the Prime Minister was booed at by the crowd - shows you how divided this society is and where the King and Queen were present. We didn't see the parade but caught part of it on the news that night. The part I like best is the air show with the colours of the Spanish flag but this year there was criticism that the red was pink or not red enough (Oh for God's sake). 
The aircraft show on the National day of Spain this year

The parade starts with a parachute jump with a military man carrying the Spanish flag. Last year the parachutist fell into the crowds. Thankfully this year he landed safely. That is the part I always like to watch. I have a thing about parachuting ever since I used to watch a series on TV as a child in England called "Ripcord". Do you remember it?

As you can see the sky was blue. It was blue everywhere in Spain that day as if the sun shone on Spain's national day and it did. The sky was blue here too and the day was ours to enjoy. It was great to be back in Asturias and to be so with good weather as it can rain a lot here. We always look at the forecast before coming. I was up early but had a lazy morning and breakfast was late. Before leaving for a coffee in Llanes I took photos of the house as I always do when we arrive. We only bought it a year ago and are pleased as punch with our purchase. Here are photos of the house, the street, a close up of the geraniums and of the trees and mountains. One of them is a kiwi tree. It belongs to a neighbour and we wish we owned his plot which is right next to our house.
The house

Our street with the "horreo" - typical Asturian granery

The geraniums outside our house

The kiwis close up

View from our street of the mountains and kiwi tree

It seems amazing that kiwis grow here. So do peaches and lemons but that's thanks to the humid but mild climate in Asturias. The kiwis are not ripe for eating yet and I wonder what our neighbour who lives in Palencia will do with all of them when they are.

As soon as we were ready which was late - about 11.30, we set off to Llanes, that beautiful coastal town and the capital of this region called "Concejo de Llanes". We love this seaside and port town which is always thriving. We parked as we always do near the main beach, Playa de Sablón. I had to have a photo there and see it up close. There were people sunning themselves and some even in the water. It was only about 20c which for me is not bathing weather but it is for some.
Eladio and Pippa by the Sablón beach in Llanes

From the beach we headed for where we always go for a coffee to the bar Galerna in the pretty square called Parres Sobrino. We sat in the sun and enjoyed our coffee and watching people walk by. 
Plaza Parres Sobrino and Bar Galerna

In that same square there is an amazing gourmet butcher shop called Aramburu where I always get ham and cured beef - a sort of braseola but much better. It was full that day as it nearly always is. I got some locally procured eggs too as well as chorizo which is famous in this area.
Aramburu the gourmet store in Plaza Parres Sobrino

From there we walked to the port and I immediately spied an open market which of course I had to visit. Eladio doesn't like markets just as I don't like his ironmonger shops (hahaha). There I spied a lovely light blue jumper which of course I had to have. I have hardly bought any clothes this year so that is one of very few new items. I love it.
The beginning of the port and the street market I made a beeline to

We then headed to the bridge that crosses the beginning of the port and where I have taken countless photos. I asked a passerby to take a photo of us and he obliged.  It is not often we get photos of the two of us together when travelling so I was happy the guy obliged. I did the same later in the week in the pretty town of Lastres. 
A rare photo of the two of us - here we are on the bridge that crosses the beginning of the port in Llanes

We walked slowly to the port due to my slight limp because of the water on my knee and back to the Sablón beach and to our car. We drove home which is a short drive - about 15 minutes and were back by just before 2 pm which is our lunchtime hour always in Spain. I rustled up a quick lunch of steak I had bought at a butcher in Posada where they rear their own cows. We had it with Loli's tomatoes and peppers and it was a meal fit for a king so Eladio told me. It was.

The afternoon was spent lazily "at home" and I enjoyed a long skype call with my friend Amanda who lives in Devon in the UK. We caught up on each other's lives but also discussed Covid as we always do and the dreadful economic and political situation in the UK. I asked if all the news I was reading - about shortages, the army driving lorries with fuel, the problem with the Northern Ireland protocol and the situation of the NHS - shortage of medical staff post Brexit and she confirmed to me it was all true. I was sad for my home country. What a dreadful situation. This is not the England I grew up in.

Dinner was a salad with the cold cuts I had bought at Aramburu and it was another meal fit for a king. Owing to my diet though there was no bread for me or wine which would have enhanced the meal enormously.

Spain's national day  did not end that well for me as I had another dreadful coughing fit or fits during the night. Whenever I get a cold I go through a 2 week or so spate of night coughs which are horrible.

I was up on Wednesday late at about 8 am. Everything was quiet. Pippa was asleep in my bed - I had allowed her that privilege and she carried on sleeping there when I got up. We had a leisurely breakfast and as always read the papers - in my case The Times and in Eladio's, I think El País. Spain has many of the world's problems, Covid, rising prices of gas and electricity but it has also has the Cumbre Vieja volcano in La Palma in the Canary Islands. It has now been active for a month, one whole month and no one knows how much longer it is going to last. Over 1800 houses have been destroyed and there will be more. Thousands of people have been evacuated with little time to rescue possessions from houses they will probably never see again. There are now at least 3 rivers of lava streaming down the mountain, one of which I heard measures more than 2000 metres - that is awfully wide. The volcano is also causing countless earthquakes which are getting higher and higher on the Richter scale - about 4.4. It is a dire situation and people are helpless. In The Times Photos of the day section a photo of the volcano erupting was included because it is just so spectacular. Footage of course is achieved through drones. Aren't they marvelous? Drones are even dropping food and water for animals left behind. Why they have not been evacuated too is beyond me.
The Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma island in The Canaries is still active

The smoke and the gas that comes from the volcano are polluting the air on a normally sunny and quiet island that lives off banana plantations and tourism. Both are affected now. 

It was sunny everywhere in Spain this week, here too and we made the most of it. After our leisurely breakfast we went out to do the shopping to get some fruit and veg and also essentials for the house for when guests come but first we went in search of a cup of coffee at the bar overlooking one of our favourite beaches, the one with the funny name; "Poo". It's such a beautiful spot we go every time we come here. But it was closed as were other bars at other beaches we tried afterwards. I suppose the high season is over and trickles of tourists are not enough for the hospitality trade at the smaller seaside locations in Asturias. What a disappointment. But I did though get a look at the beautiful and empty beach. Isn't it marvelous? One day I will swim there.
The empty beach of Poo 
If we wanted our coffee we had no option but to return to Posada de Llanes, our nearest town. It's a thriving little place but not particularly attractive. What I was attracted to though when I saw it was an Adamo van. That proved to me that the company I work for freelance is doing its job, deploying its fiber optic - fast internet - network in rural areas and that it had got as far as Posada. I was tickled pink to see one of their vans first hand as I had never seen one but had often used photos of them when sending press releases to journalists with news of the company.
The Adamo van in Posada de Llanes
We had coffee at a street bar and both commented that Posada doesn't have very attractive coffee bars but it had to do and at least we could sit in the mid morning sun. We felt at peace with the world. As usual, to document our lives and this blog I took a photo of Eladio. I think he looks amazing. He is wearing the sun glasses Oli bought him for his birthday which make him quite dapper.
My dashing husband with Pippa at a bar in Posada where we had a coffee on Wednesday morning

As usual Eladio went to the local ironmonger - he has a fascination with it - and I went to the green grocer to stock up on fruit and veg. Then it was time to go Alimerka, that run of the mil range of supermarkets only to be found in this area. It's fine for basics but has nothing gourmet. But it's the only supermarket to be found here.

Once home we unpacked all the food and house essentials and I set about making a simple lunch of grilled chicken breast with garlic accompanied by mushrooms, mini "padrón" green peppers and some locally sourced mini tomatoes. 

We sat outside on our terrace in the afternoon as the sun was still out. At 5.30 sharp my friend Kathy from Keighley in West Yorkshire who I sent to school with, rang me on Facetime. It was great to catch up as we hadn't spoken for more than a month. After catching up on each other's personal lives, just as I had with Amanda, we commented on the dire situation in the UK - the NI protocol, the problem with supply and demand, the state of the NHS, shortages at supermarkets and the lack of people to fill jobs. She confirmed all the news I was reading was true just as my friend Amanda had. She said if it wasn't for her family, especially her parents, she would pack off and go and live in France. I totally understand why. 

Meanwhile Eladio was getting on with a task we had come here to do; namely find a carpenter to either build us a new front door or repair the original door. It is  a Dutch door (stable door like) but has a gap at the bottom from where the heat escapes. We also want to include a pane of glass in the upper part so that during the day light can come into the hall as otherwise the hall is very dark. We were told we wouldn't be able to find a carpenter for love or money as they all had lots of jobs to doing up houses people are buying in the area. I had scoured the internet and written out a list so was surprised that during our call a carpenter came - Pippa went for his ankles (oh dear) and another one was coming the next day. I was very pleased. 

After our call and when the carpenter had left, I continued a book I had started reading the day before. I don't remember where I saw it but I read an article about  a holocaust survivor of Auschwitz, Eddie Jaku who at the age of 100 had written his memoirs. I have read many survivor books but his is different because it is so positive. The book is called ·"The happiest man in the world" . He came out of the war a destroyed man having lost nearly all his family and witnessed the worst crimes humanity has ever seen. His life changed when he married and when his son Michael was born. Experiencing such joy he vowed to be happy and smile every day of his life after that. It took him years to talk about his time at the hands of the Nazis and didn't do so until he reached his 90's. For him it was difficult but he decided that he, like other survivors of whom there are fewer and fewer,  owed it to humanity to tell their tales so that nothing like the Holocaust could ever happen again.
An extraordinary book

I finished the book and in the closing chapter Eddie Jaku mentions his first big talk about his life. It was  a famous Tedx talk and so I went to watch it - it's just 17 minutes but I urge you to watch it too. He was 99 when he made that talk and the standing ovation was well deserved. This is the link. His book and his talk made such a mark on me I wanted to know more about this extraordinary man.I was shocked to know he had died just the day before on 12th October aged 101. What a coincidence I had begun his book the day he died but I'm so glad I found it and found him. All I can say is RIP Eddie Jaku. The world needs more people like you. 

He was on my mind as I made our dinner - the last of Loli's home produced eggs with a bit of ham and a glass of gazpacho. We watched the news afterwards and I think I fell asleep quite soon. The night was bad again with 2 long coughing fits.

I was up at 7.30 on Thursday morning, another sunny day. I was horrified to read of a terrorist attack in Norway of all countries. In the peaceful town of Kongsberg, a highly disturbed youth of Danish origin who had converted to Islam,  killed 5 people when he went on a murder rampage with a bow and arrow of all things. The young man had a history of mental health issues, had threatened to kill his parents and was known to the police. You just don't imagine brutal attacks like that in Norway. 

That day we decided to revisit Lastres, one of the prettiest coastal villages in Asturias. On our way we stopped at another pretty village, an inland one called Colunga. It seems to have lots of colonial style houses so typical of this area like the one below.
A colonial (Indiana) house in Colunga
It was midday and as the village looked so attractive we decided to have our mid morning coffee there. 
Coffee in the sun in Colunga on Thursday morning
Lastres, our destination,  is about 4km from Colunga and we were soon there on its very steep streets. We parked at the top of the village and I knew I wouldn't be able to walk down to the port because it was too steep for my leg. We drove down in the end. From the port you get great views of the village houses all perched on a hill. It's a bit like Robin Hood's Bay near Whitby but larger I think. 

 
A view of the village from the port. 
We could have walked to the famous view point called Mirador de San Roque but it was far too steep for me. We had never been but I read it had the best views of Lastres overlooking the sea. So we went by car. I'm so glad we went as the views were breathtaking. Couples were having their photos taken there and we wanted ours too. I got another passerby to oblige and I think he must have been a good photographer as he took great photos of the two of us at the Mirador, like the one I chose to be this week's feature photo. The view is to die for. If you are ever in this part of the country you have to visit Lastres.


View of Lastres by the sea from the San Roque viewpoint - stunning scenery
What a beautiful place. We could have had lunch at a restaurant there called Eutimio where we had been 10 years ago but decided to come home as I had everything ready for our midday meal.

The afternoon was spent lazily and pleasantly. The night was not pleasant though as I had another coughing fit. Apart from cough tablets and cough mixture the only thing that really works is a glass of boiling water with a spoonful of honey and some lemon. 

So I was glad when the night was over. Friday was another sunny day. All we had to do that day was decide what to do or where to go and the choices are endless in this part of the country. So, we decided to venture into the bordering region of Cantabria (Santander) and visit the beautiful towns of San Vicente de la Barquera, Comillas and Santillana del Mar. Like Asturias, Cantabria is part of what is known as Spain's "Green Coast". The Green Coast spans from west to east from Galicia on the border of Portugal, to Asturias, then Cantabria and The Basque Country on the French border. This coast is the most beautiful in my mind and the most unspoiled in Spain. 

We know Santander well but had never been to San Vicente de la Barquera. We had been though to both Comillas and Santillana some 20 years ago on a trip from Santander to Montrondo but that was so long ago. The good thing is that  they are all within easy driving distance from our village, so we decided Friday was the day to do it. As we drove we commented just how lucky we are to be able to choose what to do most days. That's thanks to  retirement  in my husband's case and my freelance work which makes me a free agent. I often think that the best time in life is the early stages of retirement when you are still fit and able to enjoy this newfound freedom. That's why I don't want to see governments implementing the retirement age at 70 or 75. If people have worked all their lives, many for more than 40 years as is my case, I think they deserve to to have time off and enjoy life while they can. That is what we are doing now, enjoying life while we can before old age creeps up and makes that impossible. 

We left earlier that day and were in San Vicente by about 11.30. We parked by the port with lots of little recreational boats and enjoyed the views. There was a big sign with lettering and a boat in front where people, not a lot, were taking photos. We did too. It was the perfect spot for a photo except that the sun was in front of us.
It's obvious where we are here


The fjord in San Vicente
We had our morning coffee overlooking the fjord - yes Spain has lots of them; it's not only Norway - and enjoyed the views and the sun. What wonderful weather we have had here. 

Our next destination was the beautiful University town of Comillas just along the coast. The town is very pretty and well kept with beautiful houses, typical of the area; all with their wrap around balconies made of wood like the one below.


In the streets of Comillas by one of the typical houses
The old town is lovely but we couldn't really appreciate it as there was a huge street market. I was interested, Eladio was not. He was more interested in seeing the old University and Church seminary which was built in 1890 above the city with amazing views. His brother had studied there in the 60's and he was keen to see it. I was too as it is a spectacular building. In 1970 the University per se was moved to Madrid but it is still called Comillas. Today it is secular but it wasn't when it was first built. Degrees from Comillas are quite prestigious in Spain.

Perched on a cliff with green lawns it has amazing views of the town and the sea and is absolutely enormous. I wonder how many priests studied there. I also wonder how many of them left the church like my husband. In the 40s, 50s and 60s in Franco's times it was common for the Church to pluck bright young pupils from villages and take them to seminaries like the one in Comillas. That is what happened to my husband. For the parents it was one less mouth to feed and a road to getting out of village life and becoming a priest, a very important figure in Franco's Spain. However, these young boys never made the choice and it was hard for them to be uprooted from their villages at the tender age of 11 or 12. Those were hard times. Today the building no longer lodges a Seminary. There can't be many left in Spain as fewer and fewer join the ranks of the Catholic church in this country today.

The majestic Seminary and old University of Comillas


The view of the town of Comillas from the old University
From Comillas we drove to perhaps one of the prettiest towns in Spain - the medieval town or village of Santillana del Mar, so popular with tourists. It's known for its amazing Renaissance palaces and Romanesque collegiate church and cobbled streets where time stands still and nothing has been spoiled by global branding. We had been 20 odd years ago and were keen to see it again. 

Eladio and Pippa posing for me in Santillana del Mar
The town is full of restaurants, bars and souvenir shops - not much else. It was the restaurants we were interested in as it was 2.30 by then and we were hungry. We found a place, a great restaurant called La Villa which had a terrace and thus Pippa could be with us. It was a good choice. 


Lunch in Santillana del Mar on Friday
It was a spur of the moment choice as we hadn't booked a table and we were in luck. The food was outstanding, especially my mini scallops (zamburriñas). It's a place we shall remember and hopefully go back to but not in 20 years time when we will be too old. 

Santillana del Mar is one of the most visited towns in Spain by tourists, both national and international but there weren't many people that day. So we were in luck. I would not advise you to go in August for example. We admired the streets and squares and beautiful buildings like the ones below which looks like a picture post card. 

One of the squares in Santillana
20 years ago we had bought some ceramic bowls and plates and I found the very same shop and was determined to buy more to remember this trip by. 

My knee was playing up and it was quite late by the time we had wandered the main streets and squares so it was time to go home. Home is about 90km but most of it is motorway so we were back in our house by about 6 pm.  I crashed on the sofa with Pippa and I watched Grey's Anatomy and nodded off occasionally.

It may have been at around this time that a dreadful cold blood killing took place in England, in Essex. A Tory MP aged 69, Sir David Amess, was holding a constituency surgery in a church hall - an event where people can come and talk to their MP freely. It was in this church hall in the quiet town of Leigh-on-Sea that a 25 year old man stabbed him multiple times and killed him, Whatever for? This looks like it was another lone wolf terrorist attack, as was the one in Norway this week. He is, by the way, the 2nd MP to be murdered in the past few years, following the murder of the Labour MP, Jo Cox in  West Yorkshire in 2016. What is this world coming to I ask myself? I have no words. I was stunned and cannot begin to imagine the pain of his family; his wife and five children.  No doubt if Eddie Jaku were still alive he too would have been appalled too. 

Our day ended quietly. We weren't very hungry and we just had a healthy home made soup - carrot and coriander - and fruit.

The week passed so quickly. Suddenly it was Saturday, our last full day here. The night was a bit better vs a vs my cough thank goodness and I got more rest than usual.

On Saturday again, the day was ours for the taking. We wanted to visit the village of Bulnes at the foothills of the highest mountain in the peninsula of Spain; "Naranjo de Bulnes". The village can only be reached by a cable car. So off we went driving into the beautiful mountain range called Los Picos de Europa. We were disappointed when we arrived in Poncebos to get the cable car as there was nowhere to park at all. It was full of hikers coming to do the famous "Ruta del Carres" - a mountain walk. We had to turn back but vowed to return on a week day and not a Saturday. We stopped at Arenas de Cabrales, one of the main towns in the "Picos" for a coffee and then decided to visit a town called Arriondas no so far away. Arriondas is located where the River Piloña joins the River Sella in a narrow valley. It is here that a famous canoe race takes place called the Descent of the Sella - a canoe race down the river Sella to the coastal town of Ribadasella. But people canoe on it or on kayaks all year round. 

A canoe on the river Sella as seen in Arriondas yesterday

The main attraction is canoeing and kayaking but the town is quite pretty too. We parked in the main square dominated by a statute of a gun. I don't like guns but apparently this was the gun used to mark the beginning of the annual Descent of the Sella race. 
Eladio in Arriondas yesterday

Arriondas, like other Asturian towns has its fair share too of colonial (Indiano) houses. These were built by Spaniards who emigrated to America and came back rich. They then built houses here in  the colonial style of the time in (South) America and they are dotted all around the region. I love them. This was one that caught my attention 
A typical "Indiana" house I saw in Arriondas yesterday
Apart from the river and some of the houses there is not much more to see in Arriondas. I imagine it is busy in the summer but yesterday with grey skies we were not that impressed. 

We drove home for lunch which was late that day just after 3 pm and I was starving as I am used to having lunch at 2. The rest of the day was quiet with nothing else of interest to report.

Today is Sunday and we are leaving. The week has gone past so quickly but we must head home. I don't like to leave my father for more than a week. So after breakfast we shall pack leisurely and set off when we are ready. It's been a great autumn break and I hope we can come again soon - depending on the forecast.

Now my friends, I have come to the end of the tales of this week and it is time to sign off until next Sunday.

I wish you all a great week. 
Cheers
Masha.



No comments: