Saturday, August 14, 2021

On holiday in Montrondo with Elliot, showing my grandson real live animals, breakfast in Villablino, "empty Spain", a heatwave, Plymouth shooting, market day and other stories.

 Montrondo, Sunday 15th August, 2021

With Elliot showing him the goats in Murias on Monday

Good morning. Today is 15th August and we are halfway through the month, generally the hottest month in Spain and the halfway mark of most people's holidays. There was a heatwave in most of Spain this week but we escaped the heat of Madrid and came here last Sunday where it is always cooler because the village is in the mountains.  But it was  warmer here than normal and yesterday  the temperature reached 30c yesterday which is pretty unheard of for this village.  Is that a sign too of climate change?  Climate change has been much in the news this week when the world's climate experts issued a dire warning over the threat of global warming. The world is getting hotter and we are already seeing the results. Just look at the fires this summer in Turkey and Greece, Italy and Spain as well as the US. Yesterday in Madrid it was 42ºc and this week the highest ever temperature in Europe was recorded in Italy, in Sicily I think. The temperature recorded was 48ºc, the sort of heat you might expect in Dubai but not in Italy. Spain also recorded its highest temperature ever when it reached 47.2ºc in the town of Montoro (Córdoba) yesterday.  

Climate change was one of the main topics in the news this week and so it should be. Of course Covid was too. If last Sunday the number of infected and the number of deaths was 202.987.420 and 4.299.760 worldwide, today the numbers increased to 207.539.151 and 4.367.326. I am waiting for the day when I can record that the numbers have gone down.  There was some good news though this week about Covid. A study was released showing that the new vaccines are very effective at lessening the effects of the virus but more importantly in halting deaths and getting it badly. Thus we need more and more people to be vaccinated. So far 4.58 billion doses have been administered world wide but of course that has mostly happened in the rich countries. In Berlin this week I was staggered to read that a nurse, an anti-vaxxer, it seems, administered saline instead of the Pfizer vaccine to over 8.000 people, many of them in older age groups. How the hell could that have happened?

Covid of course was the reason there were no spectators at the closing ceremony of the weirdest Olympic Games ever. I didn't watch it but read it was somber like the opening ceremony. The usual countries hogged most of the medals but for the UK it was a record year. They came fourth of fifth with about 68 medals, 20 of them gold. Good for my home country.

As we packed that morning though we only had thoughts for our holiday to come. This summer our holidays have been divided between Asturias, Santa Pola and Montrondo. This week  has been our 3rd time here since the end of the state of alarm in May. 

We left the lovely French family at home in the care of Lucy. They seemed the perfect family to host on Airbnb. Instead of just sitting and drinking and listening to music by the pool they went to museums most of the days and visited the centre and towns such as Toledo, El Escorial and Avila. 

We left quite early at about 11 and stopped for lunch, as usual, at Palacio de Bornos in Rueda. Here we had what we always have: a glass of the local Rueda white wine each with a platter of ham and half a platter of "lomo". 

Eladio in Rueda last Sunday

We also bought white chocolate with almonds to eat in the car afterwards. We got to Montrondo at around 3.30 and were reunited with Oli, Elliot and Miguel. We missed Suzy and our paths may have crossed as she and her friends, the sisters, Elenita and Chati, had left at around 9 am after a relaxing time in the village.

It was great to see Elliot again. He has of course been in the village before but only as a small baby. This holiday has been his first as a toddler and I have enjoyed seeing him getting to know the Montrondo and meeting live animals. Now he had his little cousins to play with and they were very sweet. I can't take photos of Eladio's family members - only of Elliot. Here he is reunited with his grandfather.

Eladio and Elliot reunited

When we had settled in, I  took my little grandson with me to put some rubbish in one of the ugly containers outside our compound and then I took him to the village green called "El Campo" (the field similar to a common in England) where I introduced him to the spring there and we both drank some water. My main mission was to take him to the new little playground  which was built this year. However, he was more interested on me going on the swings than him. I thought he would like the little slide but again he wanted me to go on it. So I clambered up the tiny metal steps worrying I might break it. That's when I got stuck with one leg on the slide and one leg behind.

Me stuck on the slide

By then Oli had joined us. She found the situation hilarious and took a video which I am not sharing but a photo which I am.

Oli and Elliot at the new playground in Montrondo.

Finally I clambered down the steps somehow. I didn't dare go down the slide itself. It was my turn to take photos then and above is one of mother and son. As you can see, Juliet, is on her way. 

It was nearly dinner time by then and I rustled up a delicious salad made with salmon, chopped onion, sliced eggs, lettuce, sour cream and fresh dill. This was it.

My salmon salad

We had it on the kitchen terrace where it was much cooler by then and we all had to wear warmer clothes. It was funny to be wearing a fleece in August in Spain! Later in the week it got hotter and we didn't need any extra clothing. 

Eladio and I were tired from our journey and were in bed early - earlier than Elliot who has an aversion to anything to do with bed or sleeping. 

Monday dawned and sadly Miguel had to leave us as his father who is ill was getting worse and his mother needed help. Paco had been admitted to hospital that night which made us all very worried.

But life went on in Montrondo and even though we were all sad about Miguel's father, we had Elliot with us and we enjoyed our day as much as we could. There was not much food in the cupboards so off we went to the nearest town, Villablino, to get supplies for the week. I insisted though that we stop in Murias first to show Elliot the white horse and goats I had seen on our last visit here. 

Elliot is mad about animals - especially horses - so I was a bit disappointed when I learned the white horse had been moved to another field. However, the goats were still there and we found them in the horse's field. Elliot loves animals as I said but he has had little contact with real live animals. Seeing goats close up was a first for him. I think he was a little stunned to see them so big. I was in my element holding my grandson to see them. Oli took photos and one of them had to be this week's feature photo as it represented one of our best moments here this week. I then got a photo of Oli touching one of them. I have told you before haven't I that I love goats and most 4 legged animals?

Olivia with one of the goats from Murias

Once we had had our full of the goats we resumed out journey on the windy mountain road to the old mining town of Villablino where the mines closed a few years ago. It seemed thriving to me though. We parked the car at Gadis, that amazing supermarket you only find in the north of Spain  and went in search of a drink as by then it was midday and time for our mid morning coffee. It was hard to find a cafe with room in the shade outside but we found one called "Bar Piramide". We ordered two coffees and one "mosto" (a sort of wine without alcohol) for my very pregnant daughter, Oli. We couldn't believe our eyes when the waitress brought us our drinks accompanied by all sorts of breakfast items including biscuits, fairy cakes, 3 tortilla sandwiches and even sausages, a croquette, green peppers and chips! 

A free breakfast with your coffee in Villablino

I have told you before that in this area of Spain coffee and alcohol are always served with a little something. But this "little something" was unbelievable. Elliot especially enjoyed the croquette. Here he is with Eladio at this amazing little bar we found in Villablino on Monday.

Grandfather and grandson - Bar Pirámide in Villablino on Monday

I went in to pay and couldn't believe my ears when I was told the bill came to 3.40 euros. You would probably get one coffee and a half with no food at all if it was in Madrid. But no, here in the north west of Spain they are very civilised and life is generally much cheaper.

When we had finished we made our way to Gadis to stock up. I had to plan lunches and dinners to last us until Friday so our trolleys were quite full, especially with fruit. We are big fruit eaters but then you know that already don't you?

Once home, I unpacked and put away all the food while Eladio prepared the barbecue and Oli made  a salad while multi tasking; attending to Elliot's needs. 

Eladio making the barbecue

We had lunch a bit late but no one was complaining. We ate the delicious steak and sausages we had bought at Gadis and had our lunch outside on the back terrace. I think I have also told you that food always tastes better up here. It has to be the mountain air.

Our barbecue lunch on Monday

As I said, Elliot has an aversion to bed and sleep so there was no siesta for me that afternoon. Instead I accompanied my daughter and Elliot and we spent the afternoon entertaining him. Our neighbour Salo invited us into her garden to play with her grandsons and other children. Elliot was a little shy at the beginning but was soon playing with the other children's toys. Kids always love other kids' toys. We then had coffee and tea in Salo's garden. It was funny to sit there with her daughter and my daughter who have kids now. It reminded me of when I was young and they were our small kids. Where has time flown?

Salo wanted to show us her old house which she is converting into a holiday home; inspired by me she says. It's by the village common and there were more kids for Elliot to hang out with. The scene, once again, reminded me of when our girls were small and spent the summers in their father's village. What happy times. It's funny to see history repeating itself one generation later. 

I was surprised when I looked at my watch and saw it was already 7.30 pm. Where had the afternoon gone? So it was time to come home and make yet another meal here. That night I made garlic prawns and a salad; one of our healthiest meals here (haha). 

After bathing Elliot, for once, he fell asleep early. I urged Oli to do the same; anything to catch up on her sleep. Eladio and I stayed up for a while to watch more of Hit and Run. I stayed up even longer watching more of Grey's Anatomy. I think I went to bed at around 1 in the morning. I slept well and was awake at 6.50 on Tuesday morning, ready for another sunny day in Montrondo with my family.

This week in Montrondo has been a very different sort of time here because of Elliot. There was no quiet time nor any proper walks, nor time for siestas, weekly calls with my friends, reading or even following the news. I didn't watch the news once but caught up with  the headlines most mornings. Thus I know the Taliban are gathering strength in Afghanistan after US troops left.  I also know the forest fires are continuing - yes, thanks to global warming, that Spain was undergoing a heat wave  and that Covid continues to dominate our world. This week Australia went back into lockdown, New Zealand announced its borders would be closed until the end of the year and countries, like Israel who were pioneers in vaccinating their population are now bringing back face masks. Here in Montrondo we feel, or hope we are, Covid free. Also big in the news this week was the transfer of Messi from Barcelona to PSG. Good luck to the French team. I don't give a damn he's gone.

So no proper following of the news for me this week as I had to help Oli with her son as she is sooo pregnant and looking after him is a full time job and I had to help.  Elliot is not keen on walking, preferring to be carried - he weighs 14 kilos - and Oli of course is so near to her due date she can only walk slowly. Thus I spent my time with my youngest daughter and my grandson in a very different but also very pleasurable way.

That morning saw us in Senra in the only bar there - the one with the grumpy owner - Cumbres de Omaña. The grumpy owner is not very generous with the food that comes with the coffee which is served in a tiny cup and with one tiny biscuit. In any case we enjoyed our coffee time in the sun surrounded by the mountains. 

Coffee in Senra on Tuesday morning

I made our lunch when we got home; cream of chicken stir fry with mushrooms and fresh parsley which we had with rice. Elliot's appetite was returning and he enjoyed my food as did the rest of the family. It was a made up recipe and I shall have to add it to my repertoire.

The afternoon and evening was spent with Elliot and Oli. We took him to see some farm animals. He was amazed at the hens belonging to Manolo. Oli, who knows little about nature, thought they were all cockerels but of course that is impossible (haha). 

Elliot and the hens

We wanted to see Manolo's cows but were advised not to as they are supposedly rather fierce. Instead we walked down to the river for Elliot to paddle in the cold water and to enjoy this local beauty spot called "La Fleita" which must be the local lingo for "flecha" meaning dart. It was lovely and cool down there and we had the place to ourselves. I commented to Oli that if this was somewhere more touristy it would be crowded with people. Instead we had it to ourselves.


Mother and son by the river 

We also drank the water from the natural spring which comes down the mountain and is cool and fresh and not treated. Thus it tastes as water should.

Elliot paddling and amazingly Pippa did too. She is normally averse to water but maybe even she wanted to cool off that very warm day in Montrondo. Here is  a video I took of Oli and Elliot by the river that day. 

From the river we walked to the marquee by the village common for Elliot to play ball with his little cousins. It was funny to watch them. Rather than play with the ball they wanted to hog it. They are only 2 years old so I suppose that is natural for their age. Elliot had been well entertained and busy and we hoped he would be tired out again that night and go to sleep early.

Both Elliot and Pippa needed baths that night, they were so dusty and dirty from the river. But first we had another delicious dinner on the kitchen terrace. We had a tasty pie we had bought at Gadis and thought we had left behind - we later found it in the car (hahaha). Again that night Elliot went to bed relatively early giving his mother (and us) some peace.

There was no Netflix that night. Internet bandwidth was just not good enough - it's pretty patchy here. I too was pretty tired, like Elliot, and I think we were in bed by 11 pm. 

I was awake on Wednesday morning at 6.45 feeling refreshed and ready to enjoy another day with Elliot. What would he discover that day? Well, quite a few things. We took him to see the hens again and just as we reached their enclosure, we heard the noise of a herd of cows coming our way. Manolo, their owner shouted at us to keep back which thankfully we did but we interrupted them and as we went past one was facing us. Thankfully it didn't seem as fierce as we had been told. I was quick on my mark and got a video of the encounter with Manolo's cows. Here it is

After the encounter with the hens and the cows, it was time for our mid morning coffee. Oli suggested we have it in Murias (the next village to us) at the only bar there called "El Holandés Errante". It supposedly opens at noon but was closed when we got there. I think the owners open  when they want and I have hardly every found it open. What I did spy in Murias though was something curious for town people; a food van or rather a supermarket on wheels in the main square. That is a frequent sight in remote villages like Montrondo, Murias or Senra and other small villages in what is now known as "empty Spain". 

You may not know the term "España vaciada" (empty Spain). What it means is that the population is concentrated in the towns as people have moved from the villages. These statistics may be old but I read that 90% of Spain's population of about 42 million people live in 1500 towns and cities that only make up for 30% of the population. The other 10% live in the remaining 70% of the country. Thus the population density is of just 14 inhabitants per square kilometre. In Montrondo, for instance, only about 11 or 12 people live here permanently and that is the same story all over Empty Spain. It's the same story in Italy and France I think but is quite acute here. In the 60's and 70's people moved from the villages to the towns and cities looking for what they thought would be a better life. But they never gave up their roots, returning in the summer. It's the same in Montrondo. Eladio was inspirational in moving his parents and siblings from here to León in the 60's where life completely changed for them. They left behind their cows which they sold and farming equipment. But Montrondo remained in the heart of the family and they came back every summer. It's the same for most people whose families left their villages for Madrid or other cities. That's why the villages return to life in the summer. By the way, most people can say they "have a village" in Spain, like us of course.

There is a movement to return to the countryside, after the pandemic, but for that to happen, there has to be better infrastructure; shops, banks, internet, schools, chemist shops, health centres, basically. In many areas of Empty Spain there are villages with no infrastructure whatsoever, or just basic services. If these empty villages had more services, more people would move back. No doubt if there was fiber internet in our village we would spend longer here or more people  ould work from home but with such a small population no operator wants to bring fiber here. So it was no surprise to find the food van in Murias on Wednesday. Last time we were here I also saw the "bank on wheels" which comes once or twice a week. Shopping in this area is very different to the towns. 


A different way to shop - food truck in Murias

Murias at least has a bar - well when it opens - a bakery and a chemist shop. We headed to the bakery to get some local bread which Oli loves. I love it too but wish there was more variety hahaha. The bakery in Murias has remained the same since Eladio was a little boy and I always love going in. I wish I could transmit the amazing smell of fresh bread here but a picture will have to suffice.


Oli at the bakery in Murias de Paredes

Everyone loves freshly baked bread, especially Elliot. Oli broke off a piece and he eagerly reached out for it.

Elliot enjoying a piece of freshly made bread in Murias

Still in search of our coffee out, we drove on to the grumpy man's bar in Senra, the only other bar in the region. 

Once home, little Elliot flaked out which allowed his mother some rest and me time to make our lunch. I made his favourite; spaghetti bolognese. He slept through our meal but enjoyed his food afterwards. While Eladio enjoyed his long siesta, Oli and I entertained Elliot in the garden with all his lego kit. He was joined by two of his older cousins who are very sweet.  I had to move the garden furniture into the shade as it was on Wednesday that this week's heatwave began. That day in Montrondo it reached nearly 30ºc but in Madrid it was 10ºc higher. This weekend in Madrid mercury would rise to over 40ºc and the country is set for one of its hottest summers on record.  I read that thanks to global warming, in 10 years time that would be considered cool compared to what is coming. Oh my God, imagine 50ºc in Madrid. Thus we were happy to stay here where it is easy to escape the heat and where the minimum temperatures are tolerable.

There was more entertainment to come for Elliot when we took him to the marquee by the village common that afternoon  - he loves going there to "play football". When we got there a birthday party for our neighbours' children was going on. Thus all the children present in the village - about 30 or so - were there. Not one of these children lives in Montrondo permanently though. As I said the permanent population is 11 or 12. However, in the holidays, people return here and bring their children, in a way, recreating their own childhood days spent in the village; just as Oli is doing with Elliot. Someone had brought along water cannons and pistols for the party and there was a veritable water fight going on on the village common. I tried to keep out of its way but managed to get wet as most people did. 

In the end we ran away from the water fight - hahaha - and made our way home as it was time for dinner and Elliot's bath of course. A day in the village for him makes for a very dirty baby hahahah. He loves his baths in our great big claw foot bath tub and that night did not want to get out. It took Eladio to pull the plug for the water to disappear to get him out. Later I gave him a massage until he fell asleep. Only then could we rest from taking care of a very active baby boy.

It is exhausting looking after him and soon afterwards sleep overcame me too and I think we were in bed again at around 11 pm.

Thursday dawned and although I didn't watch the news I did hear about the dreadful shooting in Plymouth at the hands of a 22 year old man. I would call him a boy. He killed his own mother and went on to shoot and kill 4 more people before he took his own life. A mass shooting in the UK in quiet Plymouth. How awful. Mass shootings are not common in England but this "boy" actually had a licence for a gun. It turns out he was a very embittered person whose anger with life made him kill people in his home town starting with his own poor mother. Two of the victims were a young father and his daughter aged just 3. The killer, Jake Davison was a member of a cult called "Incel". Incel is a "sprawling online community. Incels are men who describe themselves as "involuntary celibates. In other words, they are not having sex and want to" or so  it said in an article in The Guardian. They apparently hate women and blame them for the fact that they are not having sex. Incel! For God's sake. What is the world coming to? So Jake hated women including his own mother. Maybe the world is better off without him. 

On Thursday it would be even hotter than the day before. The heat here though is nothing compared to Madrid or in the south of Spain. There are plenty of places to escape it and the minimum temperatures are much lower meaning you even have to wear a cardigan in the evening. Thursday was much a repeat of Wednesday. Again we went to Senra for our morning coffee and came back to make lunch. I made our new popular dish; "bacalhau á brás". While I cooked, Elliot took his morning nap and only woke up after we had finished our lunch. That meant we had it in peace haha. Thus he had lunch not on his own but with his little cousins who came to visit. They are so sweet but much older than him of course.

Elliot having a late lunch

They had come to play with him except that now Elliot is entering that "mine" possessive phase and he had a tantrum when his cousins wanted to play with his favourite red and blue cars. I had never seen him so furious or desperate. Thus he ended up playing on his own and seemed far happier. You wouldn't know this was the same boy who had just had a tantrum. I took lots of photos - like this one  - to send to his father to cheer him up back home in Madrid where he is with his father in hospital.

Elliot posing while playing with his toys

After playing alone for a while, it was time to go to "el campo" to join the other children. There were activities for kids going on such as making bird feeding boxes or even "insect hospitals" whatever they are. Elliot was too young for them but was happy to wander around or kick a ball with me. I watched the clock tick wishing I was sitting in the shade and reading a book instead - hahahaha. Finally it was 7.30 pm and time to go home for our evening routines. We have forced a routine on Elliot this week, one I learned from my own family. When my brother George was a little boy, he would come home every day from a walk with our father and say "see Mummy, have tea, "baffy", "beddy". So that's precisely what Elliot's routine has been here; come home, have tea, have a bath in our great big tub and then an added element, a body massage to get him to sleep. And it has worked. I hope Oli is able to continue it at home when we go back today. At home he is often up and awake until past midnight. That has to change. I hope I've done my bit to change it this week in Montrondo.

Elliot's bath time

He was finally out for the count at just past 10 pm leaving Oli, especially, but me too, pretty exhausted. Caring for Elliot every minute of the day is exhausting. I did it once, over 30 years ago and I don't think I could do it again, at least not for more than one week. My heart goes out to all those grandparents out there for whom it is sometimes a full time job while their offspring go to work. 

Friday came, market day in Villablino and even though we still had some food left, both Oli and I wanted to go. We always love market day. 

It was by the way, Friday 13th, important if you are superstitious which I am not really although I was a bit wary that day. I mentioned it to my family who shrugged their shoulders as Friday 13th is not the unlucky day in Spain. Rather it is Tuesday 13th. I'm not sure of the origin of either and the explanation on internet was a bit long to explain here. In any case I was wary. The Spanish saying for Tuesday 13th includes not travelling but we did, if only to Villablino. On our way we stopped briefly at the mountain pass (Puerto de la Magdalena) to show Elliot a herd of cows as we know he loves animals. Well, I do too don't I? So we know where he got that from - the same as ice cream hahaha.

The herd of cows on the way to Villablino

He made appreciative mooing sounds and seemed excited. 

We had left late and arrived at coffee time. It was difficult again to find a table in the shade but we did at the same bar as on Monday. My peace was interrupted by an email from a journalist from a regional newspaper who wanted my comments on an incident with my customer's internet service in the area. I was quick on my mark and soon had an answer for him. The answer made me laugh: rats had nibbled on the wires and pipes needed sealing. I was on an off the phone for most of our time in Villablino so did not enjoy the market as much as usual. Oli did though and bought some lovely girly clothes for little Juliet who is coming soon. Baby clothes are beautiful in Spain. No wonder Kate Middleton buys her children's clothes from Spain. Did you know that?


Oli buying clothes for Juliet in Villablino on Friday at the market.

It was hot and there were lots of people. I have never seen Villablino so crowded. I suppose that's because all the tiny sparsely populated villages have come to life around here and everyone was doing their shopping too - Villablino is the only large town and the only one which has supermarkets. Our main aim though was to buy fruit and veg at the market. It's always good quality and has great prices. We bought kilos and kilos of summer fruit to have here and take back to Madrid.


At the market on Friday

With heavy bags of fruit we walked back to the Gadis Supermarket where we always do our general shopping. We didn't have to get much as we are going home tomorrow so our visit was short. In any case we were in a bit of a hurry as I had booked a table for lunch at the grumpy man's bar and restaurant in Senra. I had to ring him to say we would be late.

Elliot fell asleep on the way back but woke up when there was food on the table hahaha. We had a great menu of the day and my grandson picked from our plates. He loved the peas with ham and so did we. But what he loved best was his ice cream. 

Elliot enjoying ice cream at the bar in Senra where we went for lunch on Friday

We were home late, by about 4.30 pm and there was no siesta for me. I could have done with one in our cool bedroom here but it was not to be. Outside it was warm - about 26º but in Madrid it was 40ºc or more. That proves this week's heatwave. I was very happy to be in Montrondo and not in the Spanish capital that day. I am not looking forward to the heat of Madrid when we return home today. 




Just look at the difference in temperatures in Madrid and Montrondo 

We kept Elliot entertained in the afternoon. His cousins came to play but as I say, he is at the stage where he thinks everything is his and grabs all his cars or horses and won't share them. It's funny to watch but he must learn to share. 

Not sure how else to entertain him, I suggested we go to the stream at the back of the house where the girls and their cousins used to paddle when they were small. I wanted to paddle too hahahaha and I did. Well I would wouldn't I?  I got my feet muddy too.

Elliot with his feet in the cold stream

The water was freezing and Elliot was not impressed. 

By then it was time for dinner as if we were at all hungry. However, I had bought fresh clams to make them in seafood sauce that night so we had to eat them. They were actually delicious and we finished them all. 

Saturday night dinner

It was only after Elliot's bath and getting him to fall asleep that I was free to unwind. I was exhausted. Looking after a toddler all day long is hard work. So when I could unwind by the telly with my husband I promptly fell asleep.

I slept wonderfully that night and was surprised to see it was 07.45 when I woke up on Saturday morning. Yesterday was our last full day here and part of it was spent on domestic tasks such as washing the sheets and towels and hoovering the floors - Eladio did that bless him. Yesterday was much like all the other days we have spent here with not much to report. I enjoyed my last full day with my little grandson. It has been great to be with him but oh my goodness he can be very exhausting. Here is a last photo of me with him here this week. Notice he is holding his new dinosaur and his favourite horse. They are rarely out of his hands.

A last photo with Elliot yesterday

Thanks Oli for the photo. I shall treasure it. 

There was no time for coffee in Senra because of the household tasks - I do wish we had someone to clean this place like we do in Asturias and Santa Pola. I do so hate cleaning, especially.  Lunch was unexciting as we ate leftovers - I least I didn't have to cook that day. The afternoon was again spent playing with and entertaining Elliot. His cousins came and went and at one stage I took him to my neighbour, Salo's garden where there is a veritable playground for children. Dinner was leftovers and after Elliot's tea and bath I suggested we took him for a short walk outside the village in the hope he would fall asleep in his pram. He thwarted our idea though and remained wide awake. The moon was out which fascinated him and he learned a new word that day. That brought back memories of myself as a little girl when our parents would take my brother and I out for rides on their bicycles. That was when we lived in Lincolnshire. On one of those rides there was a big and pink moon and I said "pink booney". We have always remembered that in my family. The walk didn't put Elliot to sleep but it did us all good. We have missed our walks here and I think our waistlines would have been grateful if we had done more walking.

Eventually we got Elliot off to sleep - what a nightmare - and it was about 11 pm when we could slump on the sofa and continue watching Hit and Run on Netflix. Feeling sleepy we went to bed shortly afterwards.

Today, my friends, it is Sunday, the day of our return home to hot Madrid. We shall stop on the way  in León to see Eladio's 99 year old mother. She probably won't know who we are but I think she will enjoy our company and seeing one of her great grandchildren of which she has many - about 11 I think. Thus we shall probably be home by about 5 this afternoon. The house won't be full but there will be two guests, Felipe, our semi permanent Russian born lodger and a new guest; Jenelle, an Australian lady who arrived in our absence and who is staying for a week.

This time next Sunday I shall be writing from La Rioja - the wine growing district in the north of Spain. We will be going there for another holiday, this time to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary which is on 21st August. I am looking forward to that. It will be a very different holiday to this one in Montrondo. I am also looking forward to to resuming our walks, reading, sleeping siestas and all the other things I usually do during the week.

So my friends, this is it; the end of the tales of this week. I hope I haven't bored you with all the stories about my nearly 2 year old grandson Elliot. To me he is my whole world so excuse me if I have.









No comments: