Saturday, July 10, 2021

Home for a week, looking after Elliot, super host again, a dinner to celebrate life, England through to the final of the Eurocup, the question of meat in Spain and other stories.

Sunday 11th July, 2021

Me celebrating life at a surprise dinner out on Wednesday night this week
Good morning my friends. 

We have now been home for just over a week after our stay in Gran Alacant. But we shall be off again today; this time to our home in Asturias. It has been a busy and hot week at home and I am looking forward to the cooler temperatures of our house in El Cuetu. Guests are leaving there today and the next set are not coming till Thursday. Thus I booked the vacant 4 nights for ourselves as the house will be full until the end of August and we won't have another chance to go for a while. 

I hope today finds you all well or as well as can be expected. The world is not well though as we are still living with Covid. The numbers have gone up again from 3.987.458 fatalities and 284.247.157  infections recorded last week to 4.043.020 and 187.279.338 this week. In Spain we are going through a 4th or 5th  wave with numbers of infected rising and rising yet the mortality rate is very low. The reason for this is the Delta (ex Indian) variant which is now dominant here. It affects those who have not been vaccinated, mainly young people between 16 and 30. 

It has affected Elliot as one of the children got Covid at his day care nursery  at the TV studios Prado del Rey, and it has been closed until 13th July. Last Sunday saw both Oli and Elliot at the A&E to see if they could get a PCR test. They were appointed one on Monday. Oli needed to know if they had as she is 7 months pregnant and it could affect Juliet (her baby). That meant she had to postpone her vaccine on Monday until she got the PCR test results. It also meant we would have to give a helping hand with Elliot this week while she and Miguel worked. 

We went on our walk last Sunday morning, our first since returning from Santa Pola.. Norah, our beagle, was especially pleased. We went early to avoid the sun as that day mercury rose to 33ºc. In between our walk and lunch the three of us went to see Oli and co at their flat; the excuse being to go and have a coffee but of course we wanted to see Elliot. Suzy was especially keen as she had missed dinner with them the night we got back from our beach holiday.

Elliot was delighted to see us again as he considers us his play mates. Here he is playing with Eladio. I always love to see the two of them together.

Elliot with his "playmate", his grandfather, Eladio
We did make coffee using Oli's sophisticated coffee machine. Suzy made a decaf to which she added foamed up milk. Elliot was curious to try it and he loved it. I'm not sure it's good for him but there was no sugar and it was decaf. 
Elliot trying Suzy's decaf.
He is not yet 2 but loves trying "adult" food and stuff. I loved the moment and took a video to share with you.

We left shortly before 1 pm as Oli and family were going to Miguel's parents' house for lunch and we had to be back to receive a new set of guests and finalise our own lunch arrangements. Candela and her 2 friends arrived at around 13.15. Candela had been here before and I made an exception for her when I allowed her to stay for just one night as my rule is 2 nights minimum. They wanted to sleep together so we added a fouton bed to the downstairs room which they loved. We hardly saw them after their arrival as I always let guests who come in groups have exclusive use of the pool.

The afternoon thus was quiet. The highlight of the day was my 2 hour long skype call with Kathy and Phil who live in Yorkshire. We hadn't spoken for about 2 weeks and it was good to catch up. I had to catch up too with more booking requests after that and answer lots of questions to a prospective "Swimmy" user.  I had my doubts about her. Those who ask too many questions are generally picky and can be trouble. 

I was too absorbed to hear Suzy calling me for dinner which she made. Thank you darling. We had a lovely dinner al fresco except that it wasn't particularly "fresco" on the kitchen terrace table. After that it was to bed to watch the news and some entertainment from Netflix. I fell asleep watching and woke up at 5.40. I had to force myself to sleep a bit more and in the end got up at 7. Monday would be a busy day. 

So what did I do on Monday? Well, we went on our walk with the dogs. We had to be back by 10.30 when Miguel was bringing Elliot for us to look after until his mother came back from work at 1 pm. He behaved perfectly but of course, aged only 21 months, needed constant attention. He loves the toys we have for him here and the swings. Here he is surrounded by the toys which are getting a bit old hat now. That's a reminder to get some new ones.

Elliot surrounded by his toys at our house on Monday
Apart from looking after Elliot I had to make our lunch and it was divine - chicken Korma curry made from my own quasi Indian recipe but which everyone loves. Thanks to the British supermarket in Santa Pola, I had naan bread to go with it. I also had to see off our last set of guests who went off sun drenched, relaxed and happy with their stay. We then tried to give Elliot his lunch but he wasn't interested. He was delighted to see his mother a while later and that day the four of us were together for lunch, as well as Elliot and his great grandfather. It was quite an occasion.

Oli went off at 3 for the PCR test which they didn't do on Elliot and we waited with baited breath for the result to come 36h later. We were all delighted to hear it was negative. Thank God for that. I had a short siesta when they left and at 5.30 sharp my resumed weekly call with my best friend from school, Amanda. I was sitting in the shade where it was 31ºc while she was sitting in her home in Devon, UK, with 16ºc. I love England but I don't love English weather. That day Bojo (Boris Johnson) announced the lifting of nearly all Covid restrictions to come into force on 19th July. This included the end of social distancing and the end of masks, indoors and outdoors. My friend Amanda did not agree to the latter and I don't either, especially as the UK is seeing up to 30.000  new cases and over daily thanks to the rampant Delta virus variant. 

I was then busy with more reservations and contacting upcoming guests to our various houses (that does sound pompous doesn't it? When I had finished I decided on a quick swim in the pool. As we had not guests it was all for me. Eladio was reading in the shade and Suzy working in the sofa area. 

Dinner was at 8 pm sharp and Suzy made a salad. She is the chief salad maker in this house hahahahaha. We were in bed early and that night I had a great night's sleep apart from a brief interval when I awoke at 4.30 and got excited when I saw yet another booking on my phone. I was up at 6.45 and ready for a new day. 

I had a small piece of good news that day. Airbnb had once again awarded me with Super Host status. Amazingly, I have now maintained that status since I began back in 2017. Wow! Sometimes my family think I take "my job" too seriously and maybe I do but that's why I am awarded with Super Host status over and over again. I can never take a job not seriously enough. That is not how I am made.

Super host status yet again
I had lots of work that morning, all related to my little hospitality business and when I was finished, off we went for our walk. Tuesday was cool and it rained which is unusual. But it would be the only respite from the heat and sun this week. 

In the afternoon I accompanied Suzy to the doctor in Madrid. We were late and I had to wait outside and get a parking ticket. But, oh God, I just don't understand the semi new machines in the city of Madrid. I didn't dare ask for help and after a few attempts gave up. There was nothing for it but to wait in the street by my car in case a traffic warden came. If one did I would ask him or her to help me use the damned machine. I felt so useless. It didn't help that I was dying to go to the loo or that Suzy's appointment took 1 hour and 20 minutes. I had to wait until I got home to go to the damned loo. By then it was 9pm and Eladio was watching the match. What match Suzy asked? Well, the semi finals in the Euro Cup between Spain and Italy. I had predicted Italy would win and Italy did win but in the worst way, once again with a penalty shoot out. I hate penalty shoot outs. That depressed me so I turned to Grey's Anatomy to stop my brain buzzing with all the wrong thoughts. Do you do that with TV series?

Wednesday came and Eladio and I went out on a few errands after our walk. Of course we had a coffee out at midday before we came home. Suzy was busy and Oli  was too as she has been presenting together with the main presenter of her programme every day this week. At 7 months pregnant and having to get up at 4.30 every day, she must be exhausted. She sent us this lovely photo of her and the main presenter, Igor, just when they were about to go live. She was taking a selfie and the studio photographer caught her in the act. I love the photo. I love her in red too. Lucky here, she got to keep the dress too. That often happens as brands gift their clothes to the programme for so-called publicity. 
Oli caught on camera this week, just before she went live on TV

Our highlight of the day was going to the hairdresser together with Eladio. "Together" is the highlight. You probably know I find going to the hairdresser a necessary but boring task but being in the hair salon just with my husband and the hairdresser was a first. Caty is a stickler for timetables and appointments are always on the dot. Caty, our local hairdresser who charges just 22 euros for a cut, rinse, dye and blow dry, is closing her salon this month so Wednesday was our last time there. The reason is sad. She has developed  fibromyalgia and can no longer stand the hours of hairdressing as she must be in constant pain. We were sorry for her but both pleased with our haircuts. I love the way she also "retouches" Eladio's eyebrows (haha).

On the spur of the moment that day we decided to go out for dinner.  I wanted a break from routine and to go out with my husband. Eladio always agrees. We went to El Tinglado, our local favourite. We sat outside and the temperature was just perfect. The heat wave wasn't to come until this weekend. With a glass of wine in our hands and new hairdos, we had to have some photos. I had only put on a bit of "lippy" but Eladio's photo of me came out well. That's why I chose one for this week's feature photo; me, feeling happy and celebrating life. I took one of Eladio too about to devour his Spanish style fish and chips.
Eladio at dinner on Wednesday
We drank "to life" and counted our blessings. Not everything is a walk in the park or a bed of roses but overall life generally smiles at us; I think. We were out within the hour and the metre said "that was quick" when we left. I replied we had been married nearly 40 years and did not need to linger over the table. He laughed.

We came home to have our own dessert as El Tinglado's dessert menu is not really my thing. I finished off a tub of Magnum ice cream, Bridget Jones style, and Eladio, as usual, had some fruit.

While we were celebrating life, English team supporters were celebrating football when England played Denmark in the semi finals of the Euro Cup at Wembley that night. When we turned on the "telly", the teams were drawn at 1-1. I thought the match would go the same way as Spain and Italy, to extra time and a penalty shoot out. It nearly did if it hadn't been for a penalty awarded to the UK which Harry Kane aced but with two kicks.  It think that's a horrible way to win a match. But, it does mean England will play in a major final for the first time since 1966. As the papers said the next day, only those of us over 60 remember that. I well do as I was 9 at the time and we were on holiday in Germany and the names Bobby Moore and Jack Charlton have forever remained with me. I remember having a gloating feeling about beating the Germans. After all, it was only 20 years since the end of the war.  The atmosphere must have been electric and England will be on a high until tonight when the team meets Italy, the downfall of Spain. I am rooting for England of course. I really hope they win. If they do it will give the country a lot of morale everyone needs right now.

Thursday came and we had to babysit for Elliot again. He came a bit earlier that day, at 10 am which meant our walk had' to be earlier too. He was only in our care for about 3 hours before his mother came and was no problem whatsoever. He always behaves very well with us. Oli says he doesn't at home (hahah - that's for you Daddy). Here he is in the garden with his adored grandfather on the way to the swings which he loves.
Eladio and Elliot on Thursday morning

Time flew and his mother was home earlier than planned. She had gone straight from work to the local health clinic for her first vaccine. She got the Pfizer jab and her second one will be in 3 weeks time. Thank goodness she is finally vaccinated now.  She is 7 months pregnant and I can only hope that her immunisation will also protect little Juliet, growing in her "tummy". 
Oli got her first jab this week
Suzy, I'm afraid is one of those anti vaccine people. In Spain the number of infections is rising and rising and we are the second country in Europe after the UK with most new cases. Thus young people need to be vaccinated as soon as possible. 

We had another family lunch that day and we had it outside on the kitchen terrace. For the record I made fabada (Asturian bean stew) that day, more a winter  than a summer dish. Fabada includes chorizo and other types of meat and that day there was a big uproar in Spain all about meat. It was big because Spain is the biggest consumer of meat in the EU. Just think "jamón ibérico" and you will understand. That morning, the politician Alberto Garzón who is a minor Minister in the coalition government and comes from the far left party Izquierda Unida, announced in a video that people should consume less to save the environment and their health. The Minister of Consumer affairs was probably right in his advice except that it seems he had't shared it with the rest of the government, notably the Minister for Agriculture or the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister later said in public that in his opinion you can't beat a piece of medium rare steak. But it was the farmers who were up in arms. Garzón, didn't actually say not to eat red meat, just to cut down on it. He is right although it's not good for the industry or our health, it's something we should all think about. I was wrong, then, in his opinion, to choose steak from the menu at El Tinglado. On the other hand I totally agree with Pedro Sánchez that taste wise, nothing beats a medium rare piece of steak.
Naughty but nice, my steak and chips dinner at El Tinglado

The afternoon was quiet and just before dinner I had a quick dip in the pool which I had all to myself. It was lovely to use the warm water from the solar shower when I came out. Dinner was just the two of us as Suzy had gone to spend the night at a friend's. Later I fell asleep over the news until I woke up at 5.50 on Friday morning. 

Friday was a crazy day. I had 5 guests arriving at Santa Pola, 7 guests arriving at our house in Asturias and 5 guys arriving here in the afternoon for the weekend. I also have a booking for the pool today after the 5 guys leave. That will leave just one hour to clean the pool and terrace. Then tomorrow, 5 more are coming to our house. Thankfully we will be away as we are off to our house in Asturias, in between guests, for 4 nights. That had me on the phone all day chatting to the different guests and my neighbours Lucy in Santa Pola and Loli in Asturias. I also had to upload all the guest details to the Civil Guard police in Asturias, one by one. Last week I flunked it but this week I mastered it. The logistics behind my little business can get a little hectic sometimes, I can tell you.

But we managed an early morning walk and then we were out shopping with a detour to a horrible suburban town near here, Móstoles, to take back my Kenwood blender which has broken. That set us back an hour. We still had to go to Mercadona and Carrfour, get all the weekly food shopping done and be home on time to put everything away and make lunch for the family. Both Elliot and Oli were home which added to the fun but to some stress too. 

I couldn't rest much before my guests came. They seemed a nice crowd and weren't noisy but I did find the pool terrace in a state the next morning and one of the men sleeping on the wicker sofa. That riled me as I say in the rules that no one can sleep on the sofas, only on the beds. He apologised later, telling me he couldn't sleep in the bed because his friend was snoring. Oh well, what could I say?

I had some rest after their arrival until dinner time which Eladio and I had on the terrace on our own. We weren't very hungry, probably because it was so hot. This weekend there has been a heat wave and temperatures above 40ºc are forecast for today. We shall be escaping the heat going to Asturias later today.

I didn't sleep well that night and was up at 6.30 am while it was still cool. The big news yesterday in Spain was the reshuffle of the cabinet by the PM Pedro Sánchez. He let go of some of his closest ministers which was a bit of a shock. 7 left the cabinet and 7 joined it. The good news is that there are even more women now; 14 women and 9 men. I can't wait for the day when the top job goes to a woman.

That day we went to have coffee with Oli  who needed our help looking after our grandson as Miguel was working yesterday. He will be too today. Funnily enough he was the cameraman that morning filming my friend, the famous Spanish cyclist, Pedro Delgado. He later sent a photo to Oli of him doing his job. Prizes to anyone who recognises the tall guy next to Pedro.
Miguel (in an orange T-shirt) filming my friend, the Tour de France winner, Pedro Delgado and another chap for TVE1 yesterday

We stayed a couple of hours until Suzy came to relieve us which meant we could come home to have lunch with my father. 

As we were preparing lunch, so too were our 5 guests. They were trying unsuccessfully to light the barbecue but as often happens, Eladio had to lend a helping hand. He is very good with fire. Well, he is very good with anything practical actually so often guests need his help and he is happy to oblige. That's why I named him "head of maintenance". He is worried I may promote him more and hand him one of the houses to manage its rentals. He told me he is happy to keep his current role - hahahahaa. 
Eladio helping our guests get the barbecue fire going yesterday

It was so hot yesterday that we spent the whole of the afternoon in our air conditioned bedroom. I watched the end of the delicious yet sad romantic film, Me before you. I had read the book and just loved the screenplay. I wanted to watch Suffragettes on Prime Video but didn't when I saw that it was only available dubbed in Spanish. I don't get why Amazon doesn't  always offer films in the original version. 

We stopped briefly for dinner which we had to have indoors in the air conditioned dining room and then it was upstairs again to our cool bedroom. We watched the news, all about the shock reshuffle of Spain's government and I think I must have fallen asleep with boredom. 

Today I was awake at 5 but got up at 6. Shortly afterward I was joined by Suzy who also gets up early. She likes to do her yoga in the mornings after drinking her "maté". I tried it once but didn't like it.

Today will be a scorcher with the temperature reaching 40ºc. In the south of Spain, in some parts of Andalusia, it is expected to reach 43ºc. Imagine! We are going to Asturias where the highest temperature today is just 21ºc but it will be pleasant. You will, of course, hear all about our time there in next Sunday's post.

Meanwhile, all that remains is to wish you all the best but mostly to wish England luck in its more than exciting match tonight against Italy. Can they bring football home? I sincerely hope they can. 

On that note, I shall leave you now and get on with the day.

Cheers till next Sunday,

Masha



No comments: