Saturday, January 09, 2021

Slow start to the vaccine programme, my grandmother's cookery books, England goes into full lockdown, Airbnb superhost again, Kings' Day, Trump supporters storm The Capitol, The House of Fabergé , biggest snowfall in Madrid in 50 years and other stories.

Sunday, 10th January, 2021.

Knee deep snow on Saturday. Here in the garden with Norah our beagle

Good morning all. How are you all feeling? Christmas is over and I'm feeling a little flat. I always feel flat at this time of year but maybe more so this year owing to, you know what, Covid of course. Snow in Madrid and other areas of Spain have dominated the news this week and for a few days we were able to forget about the dreaded virus. 

We all let go a bit during Christmas and we are now seeing the number of cases and deaths going up even more. Some say this is a third wave. I don't know if it is but I just can't wait for the vaccine programme to roll out properly and avoid a third, fourth or fifth wave. It is obvious we are in this for the long haul. Last Sunday the number of those infected worldwide was just under 80 million and the death toll 1.843.866. Today these numbers have jumped to over 90 million (yes 10 million more) and 1.935.051 respectively. The UK and US are in a dire position. In the UK it was reported this week that one in 50 had the infection. In Spain we have seen numbers grow again but slowly. As to the vaccination programme it has been slow too, to roll out, far too slow. If we continue at this rate it will take years for the world's population of over 7 billion to be vaccinated. 

Some countries are doing better than others. Israel leads the way with 15% of its population inoculated with the first jab. The UK is not going as fast as it should and there is now talk of delaying the time between the first and second shots - should be 3 weeks - to 12 weeks.  The reasoning behind this idea is to give as many people possible some immunity from just one jab rather than half that number with two jabs. This is not following the protocol for administering the doses and could be dangerous. Some doctors liken this to giving only half a dose of antibiotics and we all know what that means. France is bottom of the league and on Monday I read that only 500 or so had been given the jab. In Spain we haven't done much better but that depends on the region. In Asturias 80% of the doses available were administered but in Madrid and Barcelona only 6%. It was Olivia's job to report on this and other Covid data this week and here is the chart of vaccinations administered in Spain by Tuesday.

Progress of the vaccine programme in Spain is slow and differs in the various regions
Some countries are doing better than others and this is the ranking we saw Oli show on TV on Tuesday too. Top of the chart is Israel and Spain comes 14th with only 180 doses per 100.000 inhabitants.
Country table 

I am still waiting for a call from the local health centre for my father's jab. It's long awaited. 

Last Sunday was a very quiet day for us as most days are these days. We were "home alone" and just got on with the day, another repetitive one. They all seem the same, especially Sundays. I was looking forward to Monday when we would go out. Yes, actually leave the house other than for our daily walk or for food shopping. 

Monday dawned and we did go out and it felt good although later we reflected that maybe we had risked it, even if we did follow the rules. It was lovely to go the the big Spanish department store, El Corte Inglés in nearby Pozuelo. It's Spain's flagship chain of department stores and never disappoints. We went to buy our Kings' day presents, or some of them as I had bought nearly all of them online. We give the main presents on Christmas day but keep some for Kings' Day too. The main reason for choosing the Corte Inglés was that I had a voucher to spend there. We spent it and some more on vests and a car for Elliot (he loves the Disney Pixar cars called "bolido" here), clothes for Miguel and Oli and a dressing gown for myself. I wanted a long one to cover my knees when I sit down and all of mine are short. I found this one for just 23 euros and love it. Don't you? It was the Scottish tartan that attracted me. I am a sucker for tartan.

My Kings' Day present
I later bought the pyjamas to go with it online. I argued that as we now wear much more lounging around clothes - well I do at least, owing to Covid, I should look smarter. I will with these, I hope. 

We also bought some of our Kings' Day food including a joint of roast beef for the family lunch. I always love a roast, especially with Yorkshire pudding. I use my  grandmother's recipe found in her trusted cookery books, The Radiation Cookery book and the even older Mrs. Beeton's Every Day Cookery and Housekeeping Book first published in 1861. No doubt the latter which I still have belonged to her mother, my great grandmother. Imagine. There is no date on it but it could well be a first edition. 
My grandmother's cookery books
I actually have her handwritten recipe I found it tucked inside the Radiation Cookery book which I know my parents inherited and used when they first married. I have used it often too and it is great for traditional English recipes. 
My grandmother's handwritten recipe for Yorkshire Pudding. I always use it and love the fact that I have a little piece of her history in writing. 
The older book, the  Mrs. Beeton book, is interesting in that it reflects the life of the middle class housewife in Victorian times and also the enormous gender difference of course. You can get a taste of it from this link where you can read the first chapter. There are some excerpts, like the following one, which stand out and show us just how women have progressed since then. I wonder what my grandmother would think of women's household duties today compared to those in Victorian times. 

"AS WITH THE COMMANDER OF AN ARMY, or the leader of any enterprise, so is it with the mistress of a house. Her spirit will be seen through the whole establishment; and just in proportion as she performs her duties intelligently and thoroughly, so will her domestics follow in her path. Of all those acquirements, which more particularly belong to the feminine character, there are none which take a higher rank, in our estimation, than such as enter into a knowledge of household duties; for on these are perpetually dependent the happiness, comfort, and well-being of a family. In this opinion we are borne out by the author of "The Vicar of Wakefield," who says: "The modest virgin, the prudent wife, and the careful matron, are much more serviceable in life than petticoated philosophers, blustering heroines, or virago queens. She who makes her husband and her children happy, who reclaims the one from vice and trains up the other to virtue, is a much greater character than ladies described in romances, whose whole occupation is to murder mankind with shafts from their quiver, or their eyes."

I'm sure the lunch I prepared that day would not meet with Mrs. Beeton's approval as it was mostly leftovers, hahahahaa. I think she might have liked the wine though although of course wine was not drunk with every day meals in England then. We indulged in one of the bottles of wine from Oli and Miguel's Christmas hamper. Called Inurrieta Sur, it is from a wine growing area in Navarra in the north of Spain. We loved it and I immediately looked up the Inurrieta winery to order some bottles. 5 arrived on Friday. 
This wine was a new discovery

The day was going well and got even better when shortly after lunch I got my first Airbnb booking of the year. Felipe was to arrive on 7th January and stay for 10 days. He might extend his stay to a further 20 days. That was great. Another, repeat guest, Adrián (a tattooist of all professions!) also wrote to ask if there is a room available next week. I was happy to tell him I had 2 free rooms. This week was looking up as I also got two new bookings, my third, on "Booking" for August for the house in Asturias. Of course letting strangers into our house in times of Covid is a risk but we are taking all the precautions possible. As you will read later I even got a booking for this week in Asturias. I must say this lifted my spirits. 

I spent part of the afternoon re-watching The Crown after having finished Homeland (sniff). I stopped at 5.30 for my Skype call with my dear friend Amanda. We have resumed our weekly calls now that Christmas is over. It was great to see her again. She had had a very quiet, different but pleasant Christmas with her husband Andy. We spoke about Christmas but of course the main focus was Brexit and our frustrations over it and Covid. As we chatted there were rumours all day affecting the UK where my friends lives. The rumours were about increased restrictions owing to the huge rise in cases and deaths there as well as the problem with capacity in hospitals. 

It was not until 8 pm in London that Boris Johnson addressed the nation to announce the whole of England was to go back into lockdown until the middle of February or longer.  It seems Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland would do too but it was up to their leaders to make their own announcements. For days and days the figures of those infected has been over the 50 thousand mark and that cannot go on. Schools will be closed  and nearly everything else. People, will, though be allowed outside to exercise but only locally. The picture below sums up the restrictions. 
Restrictions for the new lockdown

The full list of restrictions can be found here. The rules are a bit hazy when it comes to traveling or driving. The recommendation is not to move out of your area when exercising but I would like to see a prohibition on visiting beauty spots to where crowds in previous lockdowns have flocked.  I felt sorry for my home country but of course, this is the only way and I hope it doesn't come too late. The next day I was shocked to read there were nearly 61 thousand new cases and a death toll of over 800 in one single day. By Friday it was 68 thousand and over 1300 dead, the highest daily death toll in Europe since the beginning. Obviously the rapid spread is being caused by the new "Essex variant". It is already appearing in the rest of Europe and I dread to imagine these sort of numbers repeated in other countries. It's probably just a question of time before we do.

Tuesday dawned and it was 5th January, generally called Kings' Day Eve here (Noche de Reyes). In Spain it is traditional to celebrate the arrival of the 3 Kings or the Magi or 3 Wise Men as they are also called. It makes sense as they were the ones who, according to the Bible, brought gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. In Spain kids are equally excited or more about the arrival of Balthasar, Melchior and Gaspar as they are about Father Christmas who is slowly catching up in popularity.  There are usually huge processions of their arrival in towns and cities in Spain but this year everything was  toned down. 

One of the first things I saw on my phone that morning was an email from Airbnb. It was to tell me I had met superhost status yet again. I have done so now consistently for over  three years, shortly after I started. Together with my badge I get a reward of a 100 dollar voucher to use on Airbnb. We shall definitely use it when travel is restored. 
Superhost again on Airbnb
Despite Covid, I did good business in the summer and according to Airbnb I notched up  47 stays, far less than last year of course. I did have more stays though from guests who pay direct. As to the other statistics, I got full marks as you can see below.
I'm a very good host aren't I? (haha) 
That morning, Facebook reminded me that 2 years ago that day, on 5th January 2019, Eladio and I were celebrating with Fátima at our friend Julio's house. Every year until last year when Fátima passed away, we would meet for dinner at our house at Christmas and at his house for Kings' Day. Here we are that day, the last time we would celebrate together. How sad.
With my dear friends Fátima (RIP) and Julio on Kings' Night, 5th January 2019. 
We always enjoyed dinner at his house where we ate good food - including whipped cream filled "roscón" (Kings cake) and exchanged presents. Being such close friends we always told each other what we wanted. There is another photo taken that night of Eladio and I which I particularly like. Here it is. I do think we look very elegant. My husband looks so good with a bow tie  don't you think?
Eladio and I at Julio's house on 5th January 2019. 
I miss those traditions. I also miss, as I said earlier, our trips to Montrondo at Christmas and in the New Year. Facebook also reminded me on Wednesday one year ago that day we were there with my dear friend Sandra. Oh what fun it was and oh how I long to see her again.
With my dear friend Sandra (and Pippa) in Montrondo one year ago this week
I had my own Kings' night and Kings' day celebratory meals to prepare that day. Oli and Miguel were planning to come with Elliot. This was the menu I had planned for dinner that night: Croquettes (always a must for Oli), Vol au Vent with a mushroom filling, bacon rolls, asparagus with mayonnaise and foie (again). Dessert would be a sort of Eton Mess without the mess (haha) - meringue shells, fresh raspberries and ice cream. 

So we did more food shopping that morning. The highlight was a coffee outside together at the local churros café where I couldn't resist a "porra" (the thicker kind). Eladio had been to the hairdresser after much badgering from me and was looking good. Here is a sun filled photo of the moment. Coffee in the street is the new normal these days which is a bit cold I find.
Coffee in the street on 5th January

We had a cursory lunch as we knew dinner would be filling. Later I got a message from Oli to say little Elliot was ill and rather under the weather, feeling sorry for himself and not eating. The poor little thing had developed a temperature on Tuesday at the nursery. Because of Covid he was immediately isolated (sniff). Miguel picked him up and took him to the health centre where they did a Covid test on him which thankfully was negative. But he wasn't well enough to come to our house. So instead of their coming here for dinner we took the dinner to them. We had a delightful evening although I must say I was  a little wary of catching a cold from Elliot as we got one from him a couple of months ago which took ages to shake off. He didn't eat much, but we did hahahaha. We saw all his toys which he loves but he also loves his books. I hope he will be a book lover like my father and I. Here he is eating his yoghurt reluctantly while turning the pages of a book which he was showing to Eladio. I thought it was a nice moment to capture on camera.
Elliot and books - he loves them
Curfew these days is at midnight but we left at 10 as we didn't want to go to bed late. I didn't sleep badly but was up very early on Kings' Day, at 6.15 in the bl**** morning. I woke up to find a booking for our house in Asturias for that very day from a group of 5 young French people. I wondered what they were doing there.  I accepted it and was later told by Arthur who made the booking that they were there visiting family. I doubt that but had to give him the benefit of the doubt as travel was allowed on 6th January. Later they left me a 5 star review. I was happy and relieved. 

As I read the news that morning before the family breakfast, of course most of it was about Covid, Brexit and the elections over the pond in Georgia. But I also read some lighter news and was delighted to come across an article about a family in Holland who have three spotted animals, a horse, a pony and a dog. All three; Nevada, the Appaloosa stallion,  Naploeon, the Shetland pony and Jack Sparrow, the Dalmation, are different breeds but have one feature in common; they all have black spots. Isn't that marvelous? I envy the owner, the horse trainer Greetje Arends Hakvoort. Well, I am a sucker for four legged animals as you probably know. 
Meet the three spotted animals from The Netherlands. 

Finally there was some positive news to report on my social media sites. There actually was some positive Covid related news that day too when it was reported that the EU medical regulators had approved the other US vaccine, Moderna. It was ditto in the UK on Friday.  I was happy about that and hoped it would help speed up the process of vaccinating us all. 

Soon it was time for the Kings' Day family breakfast. I think it was the first without either of the girls. The only time we had been away was when we were on our 25th wedding anniversary trip to India back in 2009. It was just the three of us that morning, my father, Eladio and myself but we made the best of it. I laid the table with another Roscón, accompanied by mini croissants. Delicious. 
My father at a rather empty Kings' Day breakfast table

The "roscón" came with a crown which I put on Eladio's head; very symbolic of the day. 
Eladio wearing his Kings' Day crown

Oli told me later when I sent the photos that she cried as she wasn't with us. They didn't come as Elliot was still under the weather and were having lunch at her in-laws. They would join us in the afternoon. I couldn't complain as we have had them both for Christmas and New Year's Eve so it is right that they spent one of the three celebrations with Miguel's parents. As to Suzy, she told us when we spoke to her the day before that for her in Costa Rica, Christmas was over. I suppose it was. 

There was a good collection of presents under the tree but I only gave my father's his as I wanted to wait for Oli and her family to come to open the rest. 
Kings' Day presents
I gave my father The Guardian Correspondent in Madrid, Giles Tremletts' latest book, "The International Brigades: Fascism, Freedom and the Spanish Civil War". I knew it would be right up his street as he followed the Spanish Civil war very closely as a young man. Eladio, too, would find it interesting. What I find interesting is that Giles Tremlett is married to a woman from the tiny village of Tárbena in the province of Alicante and very near the village, Bolulla, where my Aunty Masha had a house. My first boyfriend, José Francisco was from Tárbena and boy what a turbulent relationship that was. His mother did not approve of a young English girl, like me, coming to take her medical student son from the village when we first fell in love. I have read a few of Tremletts' books and would love to meet him in the flesh to exchange experiences here in Spain, notably his links with Tárbena which we share. 

After another heavy Christmas breakfast - the last for this year, Eladio and I went on our walk. It was cold and crisp and snow was forecast for the next day. I came home to make our lunch, a very British affair: Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings, as I told you above. It was delicious and there was enough to last the next day  which delighted me as it meant not having to cook again.
Our Kings' Day lunch - roast beef with Yorkshire pudding

We had the last of the crackers too, another symbol that Christmas is coming to an end. Here I am on Kings' Day with my cracker crown on and feeling very happy.
Me on Kings' Day with my cracker crown on. 

We were all in good need of a nap afterwards. At around 5.30 or so, Oli, Miguel and Elliot delighted us with their arrival. It was the continuation of celebrations which would not have been the same without them. We got down to the lovely task of exchanging presents upon their arrival. Elliot's presents came in his lovely Santa stocking which my friend Joanne had sent him for Christmas. He loved his new little car and box of toy eggs. His parents appreciated the vests I had got for him, hahahhaa. Everyone loved their presents, one of which was a device needed for my father's TV to get both the satellite and terrestrial signals to work. Miguel and Eladio spent most of the rest of the afternoon setting it up while Oli and I enjoyed the company of little Elliot. 
Family present opening time on Kings' Day

It was after a dinner of leftovers and when Oli and Miguel were bathing Elliot that I was alerted by my dear friend Sandra in Brussels to events in Washington. I was amazed to see and hear that The Capitol in Washington, perhaps the biggest symbol of democracy in the world, was being violently stormed by Trump Supporters just as Biden's win was to be certified. Their aim was to stop it and they did in the most awful violation of democracy.

It looked like a coup d'état and it was as the extremist supporters, encouraged by madman Trump who refuses to admit to defeat, entered the Capitol violently. The police were unable to stop them breaking window and doors to get in as The Capitol went into lockdown and the lawmakers and journalists were evacuated to somewhere safe, including VP Pence.  What a dreadful image. The world looked on in astonishment. 
Storming of The Capitol in Washington on Wednesday

The scenes were reminiscent of banana state republics, not of the USA. But they were for real and they were frightening. What happened is a direct consequence of  Trump's behaviour as he had urged them on.  He should be made to resign before Biden is sworn in and in fact, he should be locked up. Some supporters were armed. It took a long time for reinforcements from The National Guard arrived and a few hours before the storming of the Capitol was over. Then and only then could the business of certifying Biden's Presidency could continue. His supporters all came from fanatical right wing groups, including the dreaded QAnon (a conspiracy theory turned cult). The image of one its leaders, Jake Angeli, more known as QAnon Shaman, was perhaps the strangest of the lot. This is him, even madder than Trump possibly.
QAnon Shaman at the Capitol

Other supporters came from groups such as The Proud Boys, the Oath Keepers and the Three Percenters, all who follow and believe every word Trump utters. 

I could not believe what I was seeing. There was violence and carnage and 5 people died. Some said it was predictable and the police or National Guard should have prevented it. I'm not sure. It was also a direct consequence of the results in the crucial elections in the State of Georgia. What elections I wondered earlier in the day. Weren't they over? Well, apparently not for Georgia which has  a strict rule that the candidates have to have over 50% of the vote which didn't happen in the Presidential elections. So another vote called a ·runoff election", between two Democrat and two GOP candidates took place to settle the result. They were crucial as only if the Democrats won would they have a lead both in Congress and in the Senate. Luckily for those of us who want to see rid of Trump, the democrats won. All week, Trump was trying desperately to win in Georgia using the  most outrageous behaviour we have seen and which culminated with the storming of The Capitol. He has to go and he has to go as quickly as possible if the USA is to have democracy restored and see Joe Biden sworn in as President and things get back to normal after a disastrous 4 years of Trump at the helm. On Saturday I was relieved to hear that Twitter had permanently banned him from Twitter in case he made calls for more violence. That was his main communication channel so I bet that hurts. 

When I woke up the next day, 7th January, I was happy to see the supporters had all been ousted and that business in The Capitol was restored. It was though completely ransacked and the aftermath of violence was evident everywhere. Joe Biden was duly and officially named the next new President of the USA but we all worry that Trump still has a while to go until he has to leave the White House and that he could still do damage. There is talk of impeachment - a bit too late - or getting his own party to oust him under the 25th Amendment. I sincerely think he should be in prison for what he has done. Typical Trump, on Friday he announced he wouldn't take part in his rival's inauguration. His behaviour is that of a tantrum child. Thank God he is going. 

7th January was Russian Christmas. I have often told you that we celebrated it when I was a child thanks to my Russian born mother. Oh, how I wish she was still here. I would think of her later in the day when I learned that my first guest of the year had been born in Russia. But for us Christmas was over. We should have taken down all the decorations but decided to leave it to the next day. Shortly Oli and family left to take Elliot who was a lot better to his nursery. Miguel and Oli are now on holiday until next Monday. They had worked over Christmas and were due one. They have nowhere they can go because of Covid traveling restrictions but will enjoy some free time during the day when Elliot is at the nursery. 

My new guest texted to say he wasn't coming until the afternoon so there was plenty of time to prepare for his arrival. Snow was forecast as a result  of Storm Filomena ravaging most of Spain but there was no sign of it in Madrid that morning. It's very unusual to get snow in the centre of Spain so I was looking forward to it but didn't expect much more than a sprinkling.  It came as we were on our walk with the dogs. It was bitterly cold and the maximum temperature did not rise above 2ºc that day. Although Madrid is very hot in the summer it can get bitterly cold in the winter and bitterly cold it was that morning. 

Eladio and Norah on our snowy walk on Thursday
It began with a few snowflakes but by the time we were home the garden was covered in a thin mantle of snow and it continued to fall gently all through the afternoon until the early evening. It was a delight to see. It was just the beginning though and we had no idea just how big the snowfall would get until the weekend when we were literally snowed in. It was to be the biggest snowfall in Madrid in 50 years!
Snow in the garden on Thursday
It was still snowing when Felipe arrived. I showed him all three rooms but he chose the largest, Suzy's old room, which is probably one of the most beautiful in the house.

Suzy's old room now used for my little Airbnb business

I wondered who he was and where he was from and I soon found out. After seeing some of the objects in our lounge - many are Russian, Spanish or British - he realised I was of Russian origin. It turns out he was born in Moscow to a Spanish father and Russian mother. He told me his father was one of the so-called 2895  "niños de la guerra" (children of war or Russian children) who were evacuated - most of them to Russia - during the Spanish Civil War. Most of them stayed on in Russia like Felipe's father., probably because they weren't allowed to leave until Stalin died. His father did return over 50 years later and was living nearby us. His son just sold his house - that's why he is here - while his father, aged 89,  has gone to live further south. I was blown over to meet the child of this famous group of children, I had heard so much about. I think he was blown over too to find himself in the house of someone of White Russian origin. He was very interested to see some of my Russian objets d'art or trinkets, in most cases. I pointed out my grandfather, Prince Andrei Lieven's  cigarette box and he told me it was a Fabargé!! I''m sure you've heard of this famous Russian jeweler who made the equally famous Fabergé eggs mostly for the Imperial Russian family. For this post I looked up the history of The House of Fabergé and the famous eggs of which only 52 were ever made and only 46 survive.  It seems the very first imperial Fabergé egg was commissioned by Tsar Alexander III in 1885 as an Easter present to his wife, Empress Maria Feodorovna. I wondered where it was now and learned it's at the Faberge museum in St. Petersburg. I wondered too what it is worth but I suppose it must be priceless in the real meaning of the word. 


I was amazed when Felipe said  the case was a Fabergé.  My mother always said it was but when once I  it showed to a representative of Sotheby's I was told it wasn't. Felipe said that's because they probably cheated me, wanting a Fabergé cigarette case for a song. Thankfully I didn't give it to them. But how can I know if it really is a Fabargé? If it is, it could fetch between 15 to 30.000 euros which would come in handy. I'd love to think it is real but deep down I have a feeling it isn't. However, it's a beautiful keepsake to have, my grandfather's  very own Russian cigarette case. On the other hand it could be for real  as my mother's family were embarrassingly rich until the Russian Revolution put paid to that and they became penniless refugees in Bulgaria. 

My grandfather's cigarette case

Felipe was a very interesting chap to talk to and no doubt we will have many a chance for equally interesting conversations as he is staying for 10 days or more. He told me he lived in Switzerland, was single, aged 56 and a Buddhist. He asked if I minded him using incense during his meditation in the morning and replied that of course I didn't. Indeed an interesting guest. If you are worried, he came with a negative PCR test. Once he was settled in I returned to my siesta which didn't last long. Soon it was time for my scheduled Facetime call with Kathy and Phil, our dear friends from Yorkshire. We chatted for an hour and a half would you believe it? Eladio later asked me what we talked about. Well, this and that. Brexit and Covid of course, then our respective Christmases, our offspring and our hopes to see each other again this year. Calls with Kathy always lift my spirits. 

We were not very hungry for dinner after a second roast beef and Yorkshire pudding lunch - and we were in bed early, at 8.30 pm hahahaha. I say in bed but what I mean is we were in our bedroom and going to watch the news and more of The Crown on Netflix. 

Friday came and the snow was still there but none had fallen during the night. It was freezing outside. We had no idea what was coming later. For the moment we went on our walk in the forest with the dogs - just Norah the beagle and little Pippa the mini dachshund - and there was snow everywhere. We had to take off our gloves to take photos like the one below. 

Eladio on our snowy walk on Friday morning
As we walked back home it began to snow again and it did not stop until Saturday evening. The snowfall got bigger and bigger. Oli sent me a photo of her with Elliot while it was snowing. I think he is too little to understand or enjoy it. 
Oli and Elliot in the snow on Friday
We didn't go out after that. We probably wouldn't have been able to get the car out. Felipe, our guest, got his car stuck on the ramp. My poor father would have to stay in his room throughout the snow as there was no way of pushing his wheel chair up the ramp through the garage and to the kitchen. While it was snowing outside, Eladio and I got down to the dreaded task of removing the Christmas decorations. What a pity the snow hadn't come earlier, then we would have had a white Christmas. I hate this task but it has to be done. Here is Eladio saying goodbye to Christmas.
Eladio saying goodbye to Christmas after we took down the decorations. 

We watched the news and were amazed to see the effects of the Filomena storm which on the centre and south east of Spain; Madrid being particularly badly hit. We heard too it was the biggest snowfall since 1971, 50 years ago. The last big snowfall here was in 2009 but this is much bigger. The authorities had prepared as well as possible but it wasn't enough. The airport had to close and the high speed train to Alicante and Valencia was suspended. On Saturday all public transport, except for the underground, was suspended and we don't know for how long. Thousands of vehicles were trapped on roads and the main ring roads around Madrid were closed off too. Lorry drivers are stuck all over Spain and there are fears for provisions reaching the stores. Most supermarkets were closed yesterday and I wonder how they will open again. It was cold of course and that day the lowest ever temperature was recorded - 35.6ºc - in the mountains (Picos de Europa) of León - the province from where my husband hails. The exact location was Collado Fermoso. The previous lowest record was -34c in the Catalán Pyrenees. 

We went to bed in a lovely warm house with the snow outside and I felt sorry for anyone trapped on the road in the snow. I also worried about those needing to get to a hospital and wondered just how they would do it.  It snowed all night and when I woke up in the morning I realised we were literally snowed in. Our garden looked like somewhere in Siberia!

As soon as it was light I had to take photos and later would go out and enjoy the snow. This is one of the first photos I took. 
Our back garden on Saturday morning
It was quite amazing. I mean Madrid has not seen anything like this for half a century or probably more. I have seen snow outside the city centre but nothing like this. It's very normal in the north of the country but highly unusual  in the capital or centre of the country. The snow was so high - 50 cm in some places - that many of our windows and doors were trapped.  I felt quite excited and wanted to go out but had to find the right clothes and boots before I did. I had to badger my husband to join me - after all I needed someone to take photos - I do tend to badger poor Eladio (sorry). But I think he enjoyed it once out. He set about clearing the drive with a shovel while it was still snowing.
Eladio with his shovel
Eladio was born in a village in the mountains, Montrondo, where snow was the norm in the winter so perhaps that is why he never gets as excited as I do. 

As I waded through the snow on the drive and garden I realised we would only be able to get out on foot. The snowplows probably won't reach our area - if they do at all - until they have cleared the main roads and city centre. That means we will not be able to use our cars for a while. Freezing temperatures and dry weather are forecast so no doubt all will turn to ice and we may become house bound. That's the non fun part of this historic snowfall. 

Me on our snowed in drive on Saturday morning with a broken tree at my side
What I wanted to see most was the main garden with its thick virgin snow. It was a picture I have to say. So beautiful.
Eladio knee deep in the snow yesterday

The only dog to join us was Norah our beagle who, I swear, enjoyed playing in the snow. Pippa refused point blank to go out. Elsa did but as she is poorly was soon in the kitchen again. I took a video to show the snow in our garden which you can watch here. I have chosen a photo of me with Norah as this week's feature photo. It's a photo I shall treasure. 

As I posted photos of the snow on social media, wowing many of them from Scandinavia or Canada who were amazed at the amount of snow in Spain compared to their countries, friends encouraged me to make a snowman for little Elliot. I would have loved to but they were at their flat, also trapped like most Madrileños. Oli and Miguel did take him out in the snow in the afternoon as you can see below but I was told he didn't like it. The authorities were continually sending messages to make people stay at home because of falling trees or snow from roofs and balconies, but people didn't listen. While Oli and her family were in the snow they saw snow falling and hurried back into their flat. I pondered whether the snow will have helped stopped the spread of the virus as people stayed at home. 
Oli and family out in the snow on Saturday
Many took to skiing and snow boarding and I even saw a video of a man and his dogs going dog sledding in the streets of the capital. Wow! It continued snowing all day until late evening so I only ventured out once again to lend our neighbours our shovel. 

Snow was the only news of the day and the weekend and will continue to be so. We have been told things will not get back to normal until the end of the week and schools will be closed till then, including Elliot's nursery. I have 3 appointments this week; the hairdresser, the dermatologist and an appointment at the Ministry of Justice. I will probably have to reschedule all three and I am wondering if my new guest, Adrian, will be able to arrive. 

Thanks to the snow we didn't get a walk and the day was quiet. My highlight was talking to my friends Sandra and Adele on Skype in the afternoon. In the UK the news was not about snow but Covid of course. I was happy to read the Queen and Prince Philip had their vaccination that day. 

I had a relatively good night's sleep and was awake this morning at just before 7 am. The snow was still there and the garden looked like a picture postcard. Today, no doubt, Eladio will clear the drive and we will venture out into the street to see what it looks like.

The week started quietly and ended, as you have read, with quite some news and not about Covid for once. I love snow and don't mind being house bound if it's only for a few days. I will let you know how we get on in next week's post.

Till then, keep safe my friends,
All the best, Masha. 





No comments: