Saturday, November 09, 2019

Home again, reunited with Elliot, TV debate with all male Spanish election candidates, a special lunch with Fátima and Julio, 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and other stories.

Sunday 10th November, 2019

Delighted to be reunited with Elliot after nearly 12 days
Good morning all,

Here I am again on another Sunday writing my blog.  It  seems quite unbelievable that I have been doing so since 2004. That's 15 years of my life. I only wish I had started before but there you go. I wonder if one day little Elliot will be interested in reading it. Let's hope so. 

We didn't see him that day as Oli and her little family had plans. Thus our day was quiet. Our French guests, Françoise, and her family left here quite early. They would be journeying back to Versailles where they live but spending the night in that beautiful little town; St. Jean de Luz, just over the Spanish border. I suggested they stop at Burgos, a beautiful cathedral town just 2 hours or so north of Madrid. They took my advice and later thanked me for it. Later they left me a 5 star review. I am notching them up as the Colombians who I never met also gave me 5 stars. Way to go.

It was blustery and cold with intermittent rain here on Sunday thus we postponed our walk until the afternoon. We had to do some emergency shopping and I spent the time afterwards cooking our lunch which we would have with my father. I made marinated ribs with potatoes and paprika which everyone loved. 

When we got back from our sunny afternoon walk it was to find our next group of guests had arrived. Jia and her husband and friends are Chinese but live in Palma (Mallorca). They speak perfect Spanish so there were no "lost in translation" moments with them thank goodness. They were here for 3 nights to show Madrid to their friends and were perfect guests. Andy, our Scottish lodger, was home late after 10 days away but we wouldn't see him until the next day.

Monday came, the start of another week. We went for our walk and then I went to see my best friend Fátima. I have written many times about our friendship which was forged in 1991 when we worked together at Motorola. Nearly 3 years ago she was diagnosed with bowl cancer that had spread. Since then, my most positive friend who I admire so much has gone through more than 7 full rounds of various types of chemotherapy. As I watched her go through them, I was amazed at her positive attitude. Plus, she never lost her hair and had few side affects which is quite remarkable. Her own doctor is amazed at her patient, the likes of which she has never seen. I like to think I have been there for her but perhaps not enough. Now that she enters the stage of palliative care with no more treatment possible, our friendship will continue and I shall remain as close to her as possible. We cried together yesterday and hugged when she told me. What else could we do? When my mother and brother were dying we couldn't talk about it but with my dear friend Fátima we did and shall continue to do so. Nothing is taboo with us. On Wednesday we would have lunch together with our other soul mate, Julio, to whom she would break the tragic news that day. Oh how unfair life is. Her daughter and only child, also called Fátima, is a tower of strength for her and I promised on Monday that I would help her with her career. I intend to do so of course. Right now and rightly so, Fátima is my priority.

The only thing that could cheer me up on Monday was the arrival of Oli and Miguel with little Elliot. My father was dying to see him too as the last time we saw him was on 24th September, the day Suzy left for Bali (sigh). The first thing we noticed was how he had grown. He is near to 5 kilos and measures 60 cm. Most clothes for babies from 1 to 3 months no longer fit him. He is definitely going to be a big boy. I asked for a photo with him and I got it, the one illustrating this week's post.
We noticed just how much Elliot had grown after 12 days since we had seen him
We had a lovely lunch together and my father was able to see his great grandson close up. If last time he had said to him "I love you", this time he said "darling Elliot" which filled our hearts. He is not usually demonstrative but I think Elliot has stolen his heart.  His Aunt from far away, Suzy, had asked for a video and a video she got. This is it.

Lucy whisked Elliot off to comfort him allowing his mother to eat her lunch with two hands but soon after he was at her breast again. I suggested the exhausted couple take a siesta while Eladio and I looked after little Elliot. I wanted them to be able to catch up on their sleep but I also wanted time to bond with my darling grandson. We took him into our room in his pram and I talked and sang to him for about 1.5h and he behaved perfectly. He now focuses on things and seems to like the toys hanging in his pram. He caused no bother whatsoever and I loved every minute of being with him.
Little Elliot content in his pram beside me in our bedroom
Oli, needing some time to herself and time to do some sport, went out for the first time on her own since her baby was born. She went to the swimming pool nearby while Miguel babysat. I had to do some work for my customer; a media report with all the clippings on the recent press release - I was happy to see there were 28 of them which is pretty good considering the news was rather regional.

I then set about making our dinner which we would have together in the dining room. Oli came rushing back to join us with her hair still wet and feeling guilty about leaving her baby. We all told her not to worry and that he had been fine.

While we were having our dinner, one of the Chinese guests, Chan, was making the group's dinner. He told me he had been a chef in China but is a waiter now in a Chinese restaurant in Palma. We spoke about the difference between Chinese food outside and inside China. He told me that Chinese food outside China is a bit like Chinese McDonalds. I totally understood. He also said spring rolls were virtually unheard of in his country. He comes from near Shanghai - the only city I have ever visited in his country - ah well Hong Kong too -  and we had quite a banter going as he made his wok with some funny leek type vegetable.

When Oli and her little family left we rushed upstairs to bed to watch the General Election political debate - the only one with all 5 candidates for the role of Prime Minister.  Today will be the 4th general election in 4 years all owing to hung parliament results and the most voted party being unable to form a deal with other parties. These are the 5 candidates; all men of course.
The 5 men candidates to govern Spain
The picture of the 5 of them says it all. They are all men, not one woman. They may have lots of women in their parties but not one woman candidate for PM. That is what struck me most. I noticed too how the far left candidate, Pable Iglesias, wore a tie which is unusual for him and that the far right candidate, Santiago Abascal, didn't. No doubt both men's teams studied the subject. The debate went on for nearly 3 hours and resulted again in a sort of stale mate as to how the candidates would deal with yet another hung parliament. The elections are today. So let's see what the outcome is this time.

Thus I was asleep really late. I slept fitfully with my dear friend Fátima on my mind.

Tuesday came and it was raining but soon the sun came out.  Tuesday in England was Guy Fawkes' Day, one of those English traditions I really miss. We continued our home routine and after our windy but sunny walk with the dogs, went to do the weekly basic food shopping at my not so beloved Mercadona - Spain's low cost and ever popular supermarket.

Our Chinese guests were out and about and in fact on Tuesday we didn't see them at all, apart from briefly in the morning. Our day panned out very normally and there is not much  else to tell.

Wednesday came. At least it wasn't raining but it was cold. I now only wear winter clothes. It's so sad that summer is over. Christmas is round the corner as the shops remind me but there will be no decorations or tree in this house until December.

I had a busy day on Wednesday. We went on our walk with the dogs and when we came home it was to say goodbye to our 4 young Chinese guests who were a pleasure to host. That day I did not make the lunch as I had a date with Fátima and Julio. I desperately needed a visit to the hairdresser but before setting off, Eladio and I had our first video call together with Suzy since she left on 24th September. It was great to see her looking happy; happier than she had been before she left. My teacher daughter was getting ready for her lessons and later sent a photo. I love her fake glasses. I think her little Chinese pupils love her too.
Suzy in teaching mode, about to start her online classes on Wednesday
I took longer at the hairdresser than I would have wanted. I always find it a complete bore, compared to most women who find it pampering which I don't. I had half an hour on my hands before going to pick Fátima up so used it to look for some brown winter boots and I found them. Look:
Me in my new boots which are so comfortable and warm
I then drove to my friend's house to pick her up for lunch. Dear sweet Fátima has difficulty walking these days as she can hardly feel her legs. I watched sadly as her daughter Fátima, helped her up the ramp from their garage. We hugged and I drove to the nearby restaurant, El Tinglado, in Boadilla. To make things easier for her, I dropped her off at the restaurant door and then went to park. When I walked into El Tinglado it was to find both my friends. We are a threesome whose friendship was forged during our time with Nokia. Julio, my colleague, hired Fátima when she was 9 months pregnant in the year 2000 and we have been close friends ever since. It was to be a sad but pleasant encounter. Fátima told him her heartbreaking news and the three of us hugged. It was Julio who made us cheer up and take a "carpe diem" attitude afterwards. He is also sad as one of his sisters is very ill too. When he asked me how I was, my only answer was that I had all the luck my dearest friend did not and only wished I could pass her on some of it. At least we all ate heartily and enjoyed the wonderful food on offer at this rather New York style oyster bar; although I have never eaten oysters there haha. As we walked out after lunch I took a selfie of the three of us. We vowed to have lunch again as soon as possible and that we will do. Here we are the 3 Nokia musketeers. One of the best things about that Finnish company was the friends we made. Everyone knows the company's slogan; "Nokia Connecting People" but we employees had another one; "Nokia reuniting colleagues" and that's just what we did on Wednesday.
With my dearest friends, Fátima and Julio. 
After driving Fátima home and agreeing to see her on Friday, I went home to find a very quiet house. I went upstairs to lie down for a while and was woken up shortly afterwards by our new Airbnb guests. Manuel and Gelia. They live in Barcelona  - a topic I didn't bring up with them - and were visiting their son who works at the Santander HQ nearby. They seemed a very nice couple in their 60's a bit like us hahaha.

If I felt sad that day about my friend, Fátima, Olivia cheered me up when she announced she would be coming with Miguel (and Elliot of course) to have dinner with us. They even offered to make it and brought with them all the ingredients to make sea bass cooked in a thick layer of salt and accompanied by roast vegetables. Seeing Elliot again made my heart soar and I took him straight away to see his great grandfather. He was delighted to see his great grandson and held him on his lap with great care, touching his face and hands with so much love it was painted on his face. My father has never been demonstrative but with Elliot that has changed. One day when I showed him a new photo of Elliot he said "I would like to see him every day". On Wednesday while my father was holding him, I asked him what it felt like to be a great grandfather. The dearest man replied "I feel exhilarated". That is a lot coming from him but well, of course he must. If it's amazing to be new parents, very special to be grandparents, especially for the first time it must also be pretty thrilling to be a great grandparent. I love the way my father shows his love for little Elliot. Here is a photo of the two of them most clearly communicating.
Great grandson and great grandfather communicating together.
While the meal was in the oven, Miguel and Olivia bathed their little baby in a huge baby bath contraption which is so big it nearly takes up the whole of my daughter's bathroom. There were the usual comments of nervous first parents as to the temperature of the water - we have all been there, hahaha. He didn't like his bath but was soon swaddled in a thick towel and dressed. He was then handed to his grandfather for comforting. There is nothing more calming than my husband - he has that effect on people and Elliot always quietens down when in Eladio's arms. Here they are together. I love seeing them together.
Eladio calming down little Elliot
We had a lovely dinner together which was totally unexpected and cheered me up tremendously. I love seeing Elliot and agree with my father. I too would like to see him every day. The new family left at around 10 pm after which we went to bed and continued watching a new series on Netflix; Hache which we are quite enjoying.

Thursday came and brought some rain but the weather soon cleared and the sun came out, permitting us to go on our walk. It was by far the coldest day of the year so far and we had to wrap up well, Meanwhile, in our village, Montrondo, it snowed for the first time this autumn. I wish I had been there. I always seem to miss the snow there and it is my dream to be trapped in the village due to snow. Oh I do love snow.
Snow in Montrondo on Thursday this week. We missed it by just a few days. 
Our day continued normally. While having a cup of coffee after our walk, I coincided with our guests from Barcelona in the kitchen and we had an interesting chat. Thankfully I found out that they are not for independence and told us their side of the story, the story of the silent majority that doesn't often hit the headlines. It was mostly the wife, Gelia, who spoke. As a teacher of maths in a secondary school in Catalonia she was able to tell me firsthand just how radicalised schools are there.

It was on Thursday that Spain's most celebrated woman scientist, Margarita Salas, died aged 80. Here she is dubbed Spain's Marie Curie but I am sure that outside Spain, except in scientific circles, she is unheard of. Her fields of expertise were biochemistry and molecular genetics and much of her work helped improve DNA testing. She will be sorely missed as an amazing role model for women scientists. RIP

On the topic of women role models, if on Monday we had a debate among the 5 men PM candidates, on Thursday it was the turn of 5 women from the topper echelons in the main parties vying for votes in today's general election. Yes, it was good to see 5 women politicians debate but I couldn't help feeling that maybe politics in Spain would be a lot better off if we had a woman Prime Minister, something that seems a long way off. Hopefully Elliot will see it in his lifetime. The 5 women rewarded us with a far more stimulating debate than the male  candidates,  digging deep into Spain's biggest problems which don't all boil down to the fight for independence in Catalonia. Politics aside, I was fascinated to see that all the women, 4 of whom must be in their 30's or early 40's, were wearing trousers. However, women are still not in the driving seat of politics.
The 5 women politicians from Spain's top political parties in the TV debate on Thursday night
The debate lasted until past midnight after which there was a long analysis of how it had gone. Oh how late Spanish prime TV is. It starts at 10 pm. which is probably when prime time is over in most of Europe. Thus we switched off our lights very late that night.

Friday came and after our walk and leaving lunch prepared I went to see my friend Fátima to have coffee together and also to take her some of my signature broccoli, carrot and mushroom based home made soup as I know it must be difficult for her to cook these days. We agreed to meet again today while out voting in the general elections. I will only be accompanying them as you know already I cannot vote here or in the UK:-(

I was home on time for lunch and also for the surprise visit paid by little Elliot and his parents. I quickly performed a bread and fish miracle and upped the quantities available so there would be enough for everyone. My father was delighted to see his great grandson again and as he was leaving for his siesta when lunch was over, he said "beautiful Elliot". Well, my father is right on that, he is beautiful even though he is still a very new born baby and most babies are not beautiful.

We all had a siesta including Elliot who is very colicky at the moment and is driving his poor parents mad at night. We spent part of the afternoon googling remedies for colicky babies and came up with different sorts of massages, etc. They seemed to do the trick for a while as when we went out that night for dinner, his first night out at a restaurant with his parents, he spent the whole time sleeping.  Elliot was warmly dressed for the occasion in a beautiful striped and fur lined outfit his parents got for him at El Corte Inglés. He looks lovely in it don't you think? It would keep him warm all evening.
Little Elliot snug in his new fur lined striped outfit

It was our first dinner out with Oli and Miguel since his birth and I was eager for them to try out the lovely food at a Moroccan restaurant (Tuareg Arab Restobar)  in Villaviciosa recommended to us by Fátima's daughter, also called Fátima. Eladio and I had been last month. I loved it but Eladio didn't so he wasn't too keen to go again. However, he changed dishes this time and  liked the food more than last time. Oli and Miguel loved it as did I. Their humous and falafel are out of this world as is there pastilla (pastela), not to mention the mint tea and baklava. Here are my three fellow diners enjoying the evening out.
Dinner at Tuareg Arab Resto Bar in Villaviciosa on Friday night
We had a very attentive waitress who kept telling us she recognised my husband and couldn't fathom where she knew him from. I suggested he may have been her teacher and bingo she remembered him from 14 years ago as her teacher of philosophy at his last school before retirement, the Instituto in Brunete. She was overjoyed to meet him again and a little ashamed to admit she did not go on to study although she was thinking of taking up her PE teacher studies again. We all encouraged her to do so. She offered us all free after dinner gin tonics. Only Miguel and I accepted but I just had a few polite sips as I am not a gin tonic fan. I enjoyed the wine though.

It was home to bed afterwards and it would be Elliot's first night at our house. I was worried he might cry during the night and wake up the guests who were in the room next door. But he didn't and must have slept well as we never heard anything. Eladio and I stayed up late watching two more episodes of "Hache".

Saturday came, 9th November. In Madrid it was a holiday for the patron saint of the city, "La Almudena". Worldwide it was the 30th anniversary of the fall of the dreadful wall that separated East Germany from West Germany and which marked the fall of the Iron Curtain and the end of communism. By fluke the Berlin wall came down because of a bureaucrat misunderstanding an order about loosening travel between the wall. It was then that the crowds on either side of the wall began its dismantling and helped East Berliners climb through or over and rejoice together in anticipation of the reunification of Germany.
An iconic photo of the fall of the Berlin Wall 30 years ago this week
That was on 9th November 1989. I was 32 then and had only ever known a divided Germany. My parents had known Berlin and Germany before and were euphoric when the wall came down. Not so long afterwards they visited Berlin to see it for themselves. They bought us back two big pieces of the wall which grace our lounge. One of them came with a paper authenticating it but unfortunately I lost the paper. My cousin, Sasha, son of Aunty Masha, my mother's youngest sister, who lived much of his early years in Germany, was there on the night of the fall, cheering with joy along with everyone else. I wish I had been there too as it was a giant milestone in the history of the last century. I visited Berlin for the first and only time many years later in about 2003 and went on a tour of East Berlin and saw the famous Checkpoint Charlie which really brought home to me what it must have been like when the wall was in existence since its building in 1961 and dismantling in 1989. There are still pieces of it around the city which are now tourist locations, especially the part with the painting of the so called "fraternal kiss" between Brezhnev and Honecker. Some 140 people lost their lives trying to cross it and many more people disappeared for which there are no statistics or proof. Walls dividing people are a shame to our society but sadly today there are many examples around the world, not least the one between Morocco and Spain in Ceuta or the wall between the US and Mexico or the one between Palestine and Israel which Eladio and I saw with our own eyes when we visited Israel 10 years or so ago.

Oli, Miguel and little Elliot had had a reasonable night and didn't get up until past 10. By then I had made our lunch and was raring to go on our walk. But there was time to be with little Elliot while they were having breakfast. He really is quite alert for a baby aged just 1 month and 3 weeks as you can see in the video I took of him playing with the toys hanging over his pram. You can see it here.

They left to go swimming and that's when we went on our walk with the dogs, getting home at nearly 2.15. Thus we didn't sit down to lunch until quite late that day.  Later they sent us a superb photo of mother and child, both wearing stripes. It's one of my favourites so far.
Mother and son in stripes  on Saturday
Eladio said they looked like a mother zebra and its little offspring hahahaha.

The rest of the day panned out as usual and it was dinner alone with Eladio with no sign of our guests. Today, Manuel and Gelia are leaving and we won't have any new guests until Thursday. That's hurray in a way as sometimes it's nice to be on our own.

Sunday dawned and it looks like we will get a sunny day although rain is forecast this afternoon. In England it is Remembrance weekend although Remembrance day is actually tomorrow, 11th November. I have searched high and low for an old poppy that might be lurking in one of my desk drawers but can't find one. Wearing a poppy in November evokes memories of my childhood in England as does Guy Fawkes, Pancake Day and all the other lovely English traditions I have no access to here. Those are the things I miss from having chosen a life in Spain.

I shall be accompanying Eladio and Oli to vote later this morning after which they will join us for lunch.

It has been quite a week but tinged with great sadness owing to my dear friend Fátima's heartbreaking news. She has vowed to live every day as intensely as possible and I shall be there to join her.

That's it for this week now my friends. All that remains is to wish you all the best until next Sunday. 

Cheers till then/Masha

No comments: