Sunday, September 22, 2024

Living the life in London, a heavenly stay at Rosewood Hotel; fun, sightseeing, food and shopping, a banquet on board the Silver Sturgeon yacht on the Thames, Elliot turns 5, Olivia presents the World's 50 best hotel awards at the Guildhall and I set off the fire alarm by mistake. Home again, belated birthday party for the children and other stories of the week.

Home again, Sunday, 22nd September, 2024

With Oli after the awards at the Guildhall

Good morning to you. 

Our wonderful jaunt in London is over but it was marvellous. I  left you on Sunday last when we did all the touristy, tacky stuff which we adored as I hadn't visited London as a tourist for years. I used to visit Suzy when she lived here but we never did Big Ben, etc. So Sunday last was our chance and oh how we enjoyed it.

We absolutely loved staying at the luxurious Rosewood Hotel near Covent Garden where we lived the life of Riley which I know I could get used to. It was crawling with super rich people which we are not but had the luck to stay there thanks to Oli's lovely employers, 50 Best. What wonderful people they are and thank you for the stay. Thank you Oli too.

It started off with a luxurious breakfast in The Mirror Room which is a sort of Belle Epoque Versailles Hall of Mirrors. We couldn't have got off to a better start.

Breakfast at Rosewood is really something
We walked it all off by going on foot to Trafalgar Square and from there along Whitehall as Oli wanted to see Number 10 at Downing Street. As a child I remember going right up to the door but after the IRA bombings in the 80's or 90's it's all railed off and heavily secured. I have to say the bobbies are still nice though.
Downing Street
From there we walked to Westminster and on our way I bumped into a Chelsea Pensioner I just had to salute. I told him just what a privilege it was to meet him.

Meeting a Chelsea Pensioner last Sunday
Before we reached Westminster, I spied the signs to the Churchill War Rooms; the War cabinet built underground from where WW2 was fought and won. I had seen it a few years ago but was very happy to see it again. What a place. It's remarkable how they kept everything.  Of all the things we saw such as the Map Room and the Cabinet room, I think it was Churchill's bedroom that impressed me most. If you ever get the chance to go, take it. It's a lesson in recent history that comes alive.
Churchill's bedroom underground in the War Rooms

After an hour and a bit underground we emerged into sunlight just by St. James' Park. From there it was a short stroll to Parliament Square. There we were able to admire the newly restored Big Ben, that most symbolic of London monuments.

By Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament
I wanted to show Oli Westminster Abbey but the bobbies patrolling the area told us it was shut till 3pm. Again they were very pleasant to me.
Caught on camera talking to British bobbies in Parliament Square
Instead, we made our way to Buck House (Buckingham Palace) through the beautiful St. James's Park and took more photos.
Buckingham Palace
The King does not live there, preferring his residence to be Clarence House. So I'm not sure the absence of the Royal Standard meant he was not in London that day. I wouldn't see him, of course, but I got his Coronation Mug to add to my Royal Mug collection started by my great grandmother and which I hope one day my daughter will continue.

By then we were hungry. I remembered having lunch at a pub nearby called The Phoenix many years ago so invited Oli to a Sunday roast. The day before we had fish and chips so now we were about to enjoy another great British dish and it did not disappoint. Just look. 

Sunday roast at The Phoenix Pub Victoria last Sunday
We had walked more than 10.000 steps but had to burn some of the calories of this wonderful lunch. To do that we walked all the way to Marks and Spencer near Marble Arch. On our way we went past a David Hockney and Andy Warhol Auction Exhibition. I had to explain to my daughter that Hockney is from Yorkshire and went to Bradford Grammar School where her grandfather taught. I think she was impressed. I was even more impressed, not just with his paintings but with the starting price of this one painting: from 2 to 3 million pounds. Amazing.
A David Hockney painting at an auction exhibition near Berkeley Square. The asking price begins at 2 to 3 million pounds. I imagine for some people that's like 100.000 for me. People have some very deep pockets here
Wherever you go in London there is something to see that catches your attention. One case in point is the entrance to this flower shop. Just look. 
London always offers lovely little surprises like this entrance to a flower shop
By the time we reached the M+S flagship store I was exhausted having done more than 20.000 steps so didn't feel very inspired to buy much. I had to get a swimming costume to use at the hotel spa; plus I needed one but there wasn't much on offer. I did find a boring black one in which I don't look too unpleasant.

From there I insisted on getting the tube back to our hotel which saved a few more thousand steps. The spa which was small and only had a sauna was nothing much but as we had it to ourselves,  we really enjoyed it.
Enjoying the spa at Rosewood Hotel
Dinner was splendid at the Holborn Dining room where we had scotch eggs for starters. The crab and lobster salad was mostly lettuce but I'm not complaining. We then had a chance encounter with people at a party at the Scarfes Bar (one of the best in London and which belongs to Rosewood) with the head of content and a lovely lady from Perrier. We were invited in and I made a faux pas when meeting the heads of Oli's employers. I said something inappropriate to a man I did not know was the CEO and I am still cringing. You all know I am a bit over the top so said the wrong thing in the wrong place. I owe it to having been unleashed from my quiet Spanish bubble into this amazing experience and I went and put my foot in it didn't I?

I slept so, so, a bit like the Princess and the Pea. The bed was amazing but I'm such a bad sleeper. We fell asleep watching unprecedented footage from ITV of the Hamas 7th October attacks - horrific.

We had the whole of Monday morning to ourselves and spent it shopping. But first for another marvellous breakfast in the Mirror Room.

Breakfast in the Mirror Room on Monday
We had had a little word with a lovely Lithuanian lady from Housekeeping. It was about the miniature chocolates on all the floors which of course we loved but there were too many mars bars and hardly any bounty bars. As we arrived back in our room, there she was with a handful, bless her.
With a handful of miniature bounty bars courtesy of Rosewood

On our way out, we had a bit of fun when we met a group of staff from the hotel all wearing lovely tartan uniforms. I thought they looked splendid and we got talking. In fact we made friends, especially with Carlo who is from Naples which we visited recently. There is another Carlo there from Puglia and who was delighted to know I loved his land.
With some of the lovely staff from Rosewood London

After that lovely encounter  we left the hotel. Soon we were  taking the tube to Marble Arch on our way to M+S. Oli had a fitting and I needed new lingerie to last me a few more years. I also got clothes for Eladio for his birthday.  Here we are coming out of M+S, one of our main destinations on this London trip.
On a spree at M+S Marble Arch
From M+S we made our way to Hamleys famous toy shop on Regents Street. We were having a lovely shopping spree in the centre of London and I felt on top of the world.
Shopping in London. We had good weather too

Oli was impressed with Hamleys which I think I had last seen as a child at Christmas when my Aunty Gloria took us there. I was impressed with the statue of the Queen made with Lego. Isn't it great?
The Queen at Hamleys
We were back just on time for a quick sandwich in the room before Oli had to rush off to The Dorchester for a script reading session with the 50 Best team. I must tell you this little anecdote. Oli gave the cab driver the full address of this very famous hotel. He dryly replied if he didn't know where it was he wouldn't be in his job. For Oli, not having been born in England, this iconic hotel did not mean anything. I later asked her what it was like and she said she was so busy she didn't notice. Honestly?? 

She was back on time to rest a little before we got dressed up to go to the Opening Banquet on board am amazing yacht called The Silver Sturgeon.  As we left I had to take a photo of one the chocolate moments of our stay; this one of Oli looking for mini twixes and bounties. 
One of our chocolate moments
We did wonder whether someone would see us on CCTV cameras hahahaha. 

We walked  from the hotel to the yacht moored by the Thames and through the centre of the city in our finery in rather nice weather - we were lucky. And oh my, what a sight greeted us of Woods Quay and the yacht below Waterloo Bridge. 

On Waterloo Bridge overlooking the yacht

Soon we were on the quay being greeted and wined and dined. I was told our food and drink was being provided by Raffles London and all the food cooked by the 3 Michelin Star chef Mauro   Colagreco from Argentina. For both of us it was to be an incredible experience. 


An amazing evening on board the Silver Sturgeon
There were about 200 people on board the yacht which sailed along the Thames giving a wonderful view of the city at night. I especially loved seeing Tower Bridge lit up while dining.

On board the Silver Sturgeon
Both Oli and I are more a Netflix in bed at night sort of people after a quiet dinner with our partners and don't really like going out at night. But that night was really something unique. The food was sublime.

When we moored again at Woods Quay, we made a sort of French exit as we were tired but decided to walk back to burn off some of the calories. Later I wished I hadn't as all my joints ached from so much walking.

I slept so so again but not too badly. Suddenly it was Tuesday, the day of the awards which were held at 20.30 UK time that night and which you can see here on You Tube where it was live streamed. 

We had a leisurely breakfast and Oli was free until 11 am when Fiona, the hair and make up artist, was coming. We were both a little sad that morning as we were missing Elliot's 5th birthday. Oli and Miguel have found a babysitter to take the kids to school when they are not there which was the case on poor little Elliot's 5th birthday. But he was given his main present the night before and in the afternoon he had tea with his other grandmother, his uncle and cousin, his father, sister Juliet and Booboo (Eladio). 
Elliot celebrating his 5th birthday

It was  a pity the 50 Best awards coincided with such an important birthday. 5 years old this week; how time flies. 

The make up and hair artist arrived on the dot. I was told she would take about 2.5h, so off I went to do my own thing. I walked to the nearby Lincoln's Inn Fields public gardens which I had spied before as they are round the corner from the hotel


Lincoln's Inn Fields 
What a beautiful place it is and with the temperature being mild and the sun out, it was full of people sitting on the grass or walking their dogs. I sat there and played Spelling Bee and called my husband and daughter Suzy. I got a nice audio from her and was happy to hear she had just seen her therapist who she really likes. She put my mind at ease.

Nearby is Lincoln's Inn, a beautiful building in New Square which houses barristers' chambers in London. 

Lincoln's Inn where the barrister chambers are in London. 
On my way back to the hotel I stopped at Waitrose to get sandwiches for lunch - what a lovely choice there was. I found Olivia still being made up and was stunned at the transformation; especially the French pleat for her hair. Maybe I said the wrong thing when I told her she "looked like Margaret Thatcher" - I meant the hairdo of Meryl Streep in the film about the former PM who was actually very elegant. My remark caused a lot of hilarity in the organisation. But then someone said she looked like a 50's actress; a sort of Grace Kelly and that was a much nicer comment hahaha. She looked so poised and elegant. Here are some photos.



Olivia after her hair and makeup session
She then had to go off to the dress rehearsal at the Guildhall and I accompanied her down to the lobby and into the courtyard. I felt so proud to be her mother. 

Soon I was on the phone to my best friend Amanda to catch up. I then stayed in my room to rest until the event that night. I felt so happy to be in London for and with my amazing daughter. Well done darling.

The awards were starting at 8.30 so we left an hour early. We shared a black cab with a Franco Belgian couple who work for Rosewood. At the time I had no idea Olivia would be giving him a prize. Soon I was staring at the magnificent Guildhall in the City of London which is so steeped in history. I went backstage with Olivia after we finally found it. Then I went out to wait until the awards started as I didn't know anyone. Then something awful happened. I went to the disabled loo and by mistake pulled the cord which I thought was the loo chain but turned out to be the fire alarm!!!! Imagine what I had done. Security came rushing and then I heard them say false fire alarm. I had nearly ruined the event but thankfully no one knew.

I was given a seat at the very back of the amazing room which felt like being in a cathedral. I was so far back so could only see Oli's head when she appeared.



Some pics from the awards ceremony

But I could hear her voice which came out loud and clear. Later people told me she speaks and sounds like me. I like to think that is a compliment.  Friends and family were watching from home and no doubt saw the whole event better on You Tube than I did in person. Olivia was brilliant and looked stunning. There is no other word. I loved seeing her so at home on stage and so professional. By 9.30 or so the ceremony was over and here you can see the list of winners from 1 - 50

Later we joined the crowd for drinks and went to the after party at NoMad, another 5 star hotel. Thankfully it was near Rosewood where we were staying. Many people came up to Olivia to congratulate her. And when we arrived back at our hotel, there was a group of top executives from the Rosewood chain including their President Radha Arora. He also congratulated us. He introduced us to his colleagues, one of which was the General Manager of the famous Carlyle hotel in New York. I told them we were going in November but staying at the Edition in Times Square. They said no way, we had to experience their hotel in New York. Oh well, we weren't going to turn down an invitation from Rosewood were we? The Carlyle is the place of celebrities and where JFK used to have an apartment. Lady Diana and many other famous people have stayed over the years. We went back into our room not quite believing what we had just heard.    And there I was looking for cheapo hotels for our first two nights, The other three are at The Times Square Edition  courtesy of the organisers who have contracted Oli as their emcee.  What a night it had been. I felt so privileged and thankful. 

We woke up on Wednesday feeling as if we were in a dream. The whole trip had been such a tonic for me. I felt like the old me. I felt happy and I haven't felt happy for a long time. We had our last amazing breakfast in the Mirror Room.
Last breakfast at Rosewood London
We were leaving for Heathrow at around 12.30 so just had enough time to pack and take a short walk. I took Oli to Lincoln Inns' Fields which she loved too. Just before we left we bought some of the hotel's famed pies, handmade by Rosewood chefs. The Pie Hole is open 3 days a week and we were in luck and were able to buy some. What a place too.

Soon we were in a London black cab and talking to the cockney driver all the way to Heathrow. I think it was a lesson in British accents for Olivia hahaha who was amazed to be told by one of the organisers that she had a posh accent. I tried to explain the accent thing in England which I think you can only understand if you are English. 

Terminal 5 was crowded but our flight although full landed in Madrid on time. We had to wait a while for a taxi though and weren't home till 9 pm. I had so much to tell Eladio and things to give him too. The hotel in London was marvellous but it was even more marvellous to sleep in my own bed next to my husband.

I slept well and suddenly it was Thursday morning and my dream was over. We went for our walk and out for coffee, two items in our daily routine I really enjoy. It was good to be back. The house was full of guests and lovely ones too. The countries they came from this week are Mexico, France, Philippines, Croatia, Iraq and India. I love seeing them all mingle and actually make friends. 

Of note that day I bought my plane ticket to New York and we are all set, that is if my ETSA visa comes through. Can this be happening I ask? While in the city that never sleeps, we look forward to seeing our good friends Juana and Oscar who have offered to be our guides on the Saturday the day after we arrive. Again I have something fantastic to look forward to and another dream to live.

On Friday we prepared a small belated birthday party for both Juliet and Elliot who turned 3 and 5 on 4th and 17th September. We had missed Juliet's birthday and only Eladio saw Elliot on his. I made fish and chips for the occasion and there were mini strawberry and cream tartlets with sparkler type candles which Elliot loved as well as a giant number 3 balloon for Juliet to add to Elliot's number 5.  And there were presents they loved and cards they ignored, hahahahaha. 

Belated birthday party for Juliet and Elliot on Friday night
Miguel was away this week working for TVE at the San Sebastian film festival so it was just us with Oli and the kids and she needed a helping hand. Thus we helped her bathe both children before she whisked them off home to bed.

We slept well that night after watching a film I liked called "Gifted". I woke up on Saturday morning feeling rested. We went on our walk and I then went to have my nails done. This was the result an hour or so later
 New nails yesterday
I came home to prepare our lunch and we were joined again by Juliet and Elliot who never seem to eat much at our house. Later I went with Oli to El Corte Inglés for her to get a birthday present for Eladio who turns 80, yes 80, on Monday which we shall be celebrating with the family today. Then tomorrow we are going to stay 2 nights at the legendary 5 star  Hotel Landa near Burgos where we have stopped many times but have never stayed. That's his main birthday present. 

I came home bushed two hours later as going round a huge department store on a Saturday afternoon after lunch is very tiring.

And that my friends was my week. On the international scene there has been horrific news from the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas from Palestine. The former blew up pagers and two way radios used by the organisation and now the war is waging in Lebanon. We are so lucky to live where we live. 

Today is going to be a grand day with lunch at La Espiga with the family to celebrate the beginning of my dear husband's 8th decade. 

Cheers then everyone and thank you for reading my blog.

Masha

No comments: